Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Heavy

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Jared the Hippo

Amelia: Level 1 Riot Shield

Edit: http://images.wikia.com/mafiawars/im...0753192024.jpg

Primary replacement.

When held passively, it covers heavy's neck to knees.

M1 to shield bash for 35-38 dmg and causes knockback (AB distance), -50% swing time (in comparison to fists), -15% weapon switch time.

Hold m2 to hold it up and cover your head. When crouched, heavy will be completely covered. Holding m2 causes heavy to move at revved-speed.

Amelia would look good with a certain hat and misc item. And shotgun heavies are sexy and manly.

Amelia is indestructible, and is able to block splash dmg if angled correctly. Of course, splash dmg still gets around it, just doesn't go through it.

A possible problem, using Amelia to cover sentry positions. However sentry guns will not be track enemies when a heavy blocks... I can't see Amelia heavy being much more effective than an airblasting pyro. In fact, will be less effective against a sticky demo.

Discuss.

Last edited by Jared the Hippo: 07-12-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added picture, Added knockback effect.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
Comrade Marat

So, effectively what we get is a heavy without a primary weapon, stripped of his portable medipack and highly, HIGHLY vulnerable against ambushers/buttsex enemies(Because the shield gives a false feeling of security and shield heavy lacks the ability to spin up and make those monsters face judgement).

After reading this you probably think that i am some looking to stomp your unlock into the ground. No. This is simply the problem with "tanks" in multiplayer shooters. They are either insanely overpowered(think, give him an ability to shoot minigun from behind the shield) or are simply walking soaks who have no way to draw attention. In MMORPGS there is threat mechanic. In PVP tanks draw attention by dealing heavy amounts of damage(usually over time) or being a general pin in the butt.

Possible buffs:
1)Buff the damage of the shield bash to the level of either default fists or bear claws. Also give him AT LEAST demoman speed to become a real threat(so as to say this heavy will charge into the fray and start bashing people around, all the while soaking damage with the shield. Bash could give enemies a small dizziness effect(not stun, just like post flashbang in CS)

2)Maybe something about weapon switching time? The only problem here is the shotgun. It is too weak to be a primary weapon outside the shield. So tune in for fix 1
Comrade Marat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Jestersage

Amelia is basically a pre-nerf Fist of Steel that was buffed to the point that it allows Sniper Headshots, so even though on paper it seems like a perfect sidegrade, in practice it is too in balanced.

Last edited by Jestersage: 07-11-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Jestersage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
Jared the Hippo

You guys got me. I actually agree with both of you, indeed I do, there is no way this shield is balanced to the miniguns. That was never my goal.

The thing is, it is too pathetically easy to play heavy. I often go shotgun heavy just for laughs. Amelia would actually make shotgun heavy viable, but not as much of a powerhouse as ordinary minigun heavy. Kinda like targe/screen demo. No way that subclass is as powerful as sticky demos.

But after reading your posts, I've actually become inspired to make the shield a true sidegrade...

Amelia is NOT for killing. Must stress this very much. It is an invincible shield, not a weapon. I think adding an effect on hit may make Amelia a sidegrade though. Not stun/dizziness, perhaps knockback? About airblast strength. And increased weapon switch time (40% seems good), is definitely something to think about as well, tq Comrade.

Bash a low-hp class once for 35 dmg, quickswitch to shotgun and meatshot for 90. Sounds good.
Jared the Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
ComradeWolfram

I like the idea of giving the Heavy a different playstyle with this, shotgunning heavys will approve this, and so do i.

Edit: i have a suggestion for the hat, what about an Ski Mask as hat?
http://www.411toys.com/toy/1ski.jpg like that.

Last edited by ComradeWolfram: 07-11-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
LordQuwit

I think giving the heavy a shield would be great.

Wielding the shield and a shotgun with some firing differences would be cutesie.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
bahg-nahk

you know, this might synergize with the quick fix really well, since you are able to temporarily stop incoming damage, overheal isn't as important and you can actually make the most of the faster healing.
bahg-nahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Jared the Hippo

Edited OP to include knockback effect of shield bash and DECREASED weapon switch time

Last edited by Jared the Hippo: 07-12-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: oops. decreased.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Comrade Marat

You should have meant DECREASED weapon switch time right?

Also, have you thought that heavy is the slowest class in the game, so it's difficult for him to catch up for a shield bash.
Comrade Marat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Jared the Hippo

Oops. Thanks.

Meant to ambush. Back ppl up into corners or push them back. Shield is not meant to give heavy a killing bashing spree
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
VerbotenDonkey

Lmao at two melee weapons for Heavy then, one primary one melee xD

However, I always did like the sound of these types of weapons, makes everything more team-based. Heavy takes the attention while other classes deal the damage. Also, another idea I always liked, if you melee someone and push them into the walls, it does double damage or so.
VerbotenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
mariofan38

Bump for this idea. Hope it doesn't die. If we can get someone to model this, we could send it to Valve and hope for inclusion. Is anyone able and willing to do modeling for the weapon?

Anyway, thoughts. If the weapon is like the passive Chargin' Targe, then I would like to suggest the following:
Amelia
-40% damage received, effect is passive
...or something along those lines. It could also give different resistances for each attack
Amelia
-30% damage taken from explosives
-50% damage taken from fire
-50% damage taken from bullets
-50% damage taken from melee
...or something along those lines. An oddity with the less damage taken from melee is that the Heavy could survive a backstab if buffed by a Battalion's Backup Soldier at the time, with 70% of his health remaining. I guess that would be a rare occurrence, but is interesting nonetheless.
Or it just be what you suggested, I like that better anyway.
mariofan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
aSnorlax

I'd want this, especially in Saxton Hale mode.
aSnorlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
raptor67

Banned
When you pull out your secondary/melee it should cover your back.
raptor67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
whaleboy587

Banned
I sugjested something like this for pyro. He needs it more.
whaleboy587 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Heavy