Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rome: Total War series

Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Dmanbiker

RTW fails to find steam (No mods installed)

I'm totally stumped -- this is one of my final bastions of hope.

Rome used to work flawlessly. I installed Rome: Total Realism CORRECTLY and it launched and everything worked great. I figured I wanted to try EB, but it had been a while since I installed RTR, so I didn't know where my backups were. Rome was getting the "Failed the find steam" error anyway -- which I understand has something to do with mods.

So naturally, I decided to reinstall altogether. I deleted local content, went in and deleted the activision folder re-downloaded (Probably not necessary, but not the problem.)

The game still doesn't launch. Launch target options are blank, so it's not trying to launch with mods or anything. Alexander used to have the problem, but it randomly started working. I looked in the registry and cleaned out anything from the old installation, and uninstalled and re-downloaded again.

Still the same problem "Failed to Find steam."

Does anyone know what's up? I figure it has to do with RTR left-overs or something, but I have no idea.

EDIT

Fixed It

Last edited by Dmanbiker: 07-12-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Dmanbiker

I jumped the gun on posting this a bit.

I tried a few more things, then thought of the one thing which tends to always be the stem of my problems "clientregistry.blob"

I deleted that, restarted steam and everything worked fine. I can't even remember what that does, but it's almost always related somehow.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
comegetsome101

i have been having the samething but when i start rtw up my screen starts to flash for like 5mins and then i get a failed to find steam error so im going to try what you said and delete clientregistry.blob.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Sneblot

Have tired deleting the clientregistry.blob which sadly hasn't worked for me, any one else having this issue?
Sneblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
blanchflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneblot View Post
Have tired deleting the clientregistry.blob which sadly hasn't worked for me, any one else having this issue?
I am also having this issue lately on Rome Total War. I deleted the "clientregistry.blob" and it seemed to work. Before this, there was no problems but now this problem keeps appearing. I suggest you delete the clientregistry.blob and try again.

Hope this helps.

blanchflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
blanchflower

Smile

Or you can try this:

Or if you don't want to run as an administrator, you can do the following. I asked customer support for the solution of this and this is what they replied me:

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Additionally, please complete this process for your installed game(s):

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...2037-QEUH-3335

If you have any further difficulty, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
https://support.steampowered.com/vie...7750-TSHN-2510

Hope this helps!

blanchflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
tarok5

I had the same problem, turned on admin rights, verified files, still didn't work. I then did a reboot and there was a steam process that had to be manually aborted. After the restart, problem went away. Turned back off the admin rights (probably not the problem) - try a reboot after you have installed - may save you a lot of wandering around...
tarok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Ekis

I just restart Steam to solve this problem although it's not permanent. I still get the message from time to time.
Ekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
miller3492

HOW DID U FIX IT!!!
miller3492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
Dean Demon

Been having the same problem for the last few weeks but now have it solved,this is what i did to resolve it,1.delete"clientregistry.blob",2.restart steam application,3.steam performs an update,4. rome gold now works.

Was my experience that just deleting clientregistry.blob didnt make any difference but deleting it and making steam do the update either created a new or updated version of it,hope this helps anyone else with the issue.
Dean Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
geraltofrivia

verify games files(verify intergity of game cache) then exist steam completely then restart
if it still didn't work restart your computer
geraltofrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #12
Andreson

Banned
Works for me, although it's weird. The next time I try to launch it, the error shows up again, so I got to delete it every time.
Andreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
Andreson

Banned
Maybe it's because I got Europa Barbarorum installed.
Andreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
bailz

whenever it happens to me i just restart steam and it works
bailz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rome: Total War series