Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Spunky95

Steam client: VGUI_Setup failed

After the recent update of the Steam client, the client stopped working. I try to launch Steam and get an instant fatal error which says: "VGUI_Setup failed".
I tried deleting the clientregistry.blob but that didn't help.
Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind. Out of nowhere, it just worked again.

Last edited by Spunky95: 07-13-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Gad_Olinium

check out the link, for some reason there is a problem with the update file that it doesn't load on your computer, i and many other are having this problem unfortunately steam aren't doing ♥♥♥♥ about it, so don't count on getting this fixed, other user have figured out certain fix but they don't all work and if they work they work for a short time good luck

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1225073
Old 07-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
BHSPitMonkey

The same thing started happening to me as of yesterday's update, also.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
DasOtto

Same here. But it doesn't magically work again!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
DasOtto

BUMP

This Error is getting on my nerves. Is there no way to fix this?!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
jmccaskey

Valve
What version of windows and service pack level are you guys on? I'm wondering if this might be specific to old unpatched Windows XP versions prior to SP2.

Also, can you search your machine for vgui2_s.dll files? If there are any located not in your Steam\bin folder, delete them. Also try deleting clientregistry.blob to force another client update and state reset.

Last edited by jmccaskey: 07-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.
jmccaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
DasOtto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccaskey View Post
What version of windows and service pack level are you guys on? I'm wondering if this might be specific to old unpatched Windows XP versions prior to SP2.

Also, can you search your machine for vgui2_s.dll files? If there are any located not in your Steam\bin folder, delete them. Also try deleting clientregistry.blob to force another client update and state reset.
Vista. And deleting the clientregistry.blob doesn't help at all.
I still get the Error Message. Also, there are no other vgui2_s.dll files anywhere on my Machine.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
DasOtto

BUMP

I'm still getting the Error.
I had the whole week full of gaming ahead of me and now I can't even login to steam because of this lousy Error!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
RoOophy

Same here!

I have the same problem, can't find anything online!
RoOophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
RoOophy

I should mention that I tried deleting vgui2_s.dll AND clientregistry.blob. When I restarted, Steam proceeded to update itself and then the error poped up again.
RoOophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Spunky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccaskey View Post

I use an up-to-date Windows XP SP3.

Maybe I was a bit too short with my edit above. I did think that I was the only one with this problem. It turned out that a missing DLL in my windows\system32 folder was the source of this error. Namely the dciman32.dll. You can search directly for it or use the command line and type sfc /scannow to let Windows replace it if you have an XP SP3 CD at hand.
I just copied it from my windows\system32\dllcache folder to windows\system32 and Steam worked again. Don't know why it disappeared in the first place.
Spunky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Yashirmare

I have the same problem & I tried all above mentioned but no luck (Im on Vista so cant update to SP3)
Yashirmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #13
Yashirmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasOtto View Post
BUMP

This Error is getting on my nerves. Is there no way to fix this?!
I know, i'm next to dying due to lack of videogames because Minecraft got the black screen I swear to God my computer gets the rarest problems (like the text menu on l4d2 disapearing ¬_¬)
Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Yashirmare

SUCESS!!! I had an extra vgui_2 file in my pc and DCIman32 was missing from the steam folder.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
DasOtto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky95 View Post
I use an up-to-date Windows XP SP3.

Maybe I was a bit too short with my edit above. I did think that I was the only one with this problem. It turned out that a missing DLL in my windows\system32 folder was the source of this error. Namely the dciman32.dll. You can search directly for it or use the command line and type sfc /scannow to let Windows replace it if you have an XP SP3 CD at hand.
I just copied it from my windows\system32\dllcache folder to windows\system32 and Steam worked again. Don't know why it disappeared in the first place.
Well, I have a dciman32.dll file in my system32 folder and I DO NOT have a dllcache folder in my system32 folder.

WTF.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips