Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hearts of Iron series

Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
steven renshaw

Hearts of iron 3 collection wont start

hey guys first off let me say thanks in advance for any help you give me Im not very computer savvy so im needy lol Anyways I bought the h0i3 pack and everything downloaded but when I go to launch the game a steam window pops up saying preparing to launch hoi3, then after about 3 secs thats all she wrote and nothing happens... I've checked for solutions but cant figure anything out so plz help me!!

Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
ivniciix

I have the same issue it seems after adding FTM to my HOI3SF via steam. All the games came from Steam, I checked the records so that is not the issue.

It all worked fine until I added FTM last Thursday. Now, attempting to open the game via the Steam Library produces that error...opens a start box, then it closes in a few seconds and the game never opens.

If I try to open the game from within it's file using the .exe, I get a message saying the MSVCP100.dll file is missing and to delete and reload the game. I've done that 4 times already and it does not solve the issue.

After sending three reports using Steams Support procedure, I have yet to get a reply after 4 days.
ivniciix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Oberst Klink

Got the same problem and solved it with installing
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
or
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

hope this helps!
Oberst Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Mickydrip

tried this issue still persists. :\
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
SilentSilver

For what it's worth, I had the exact same issue while running Win7 64. Here's how I finally managed to resolve it:

1) Uninstall ALL Visual c++ (2005/2008/2010) redistributables. CAREFUL, this might have the affect of causing other games to function incorrectly, or not at all even after finishing all the steps here. I take no responsibility for anything that might break if you do this and aren't capable of fixing it yourself.

2) Uninstall Hearts of Iron III.

3) Restart computer.

4) Reinstall Visual c++ 2010 SP1(x64) - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=13523 - then install Visual c++ 2010 (x86) - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=5555 - . Yes, the x86 version is necessary.

5) Reinstall Hearts of Iron III. Run program. Enjoy.

It's a long, frustrating process, but it does eventually pay off. Hearts of Iron III is a genuinely great, deep strategy game.
SilentSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
ivniciix

FWIW, I only needed to dl the C++ thing to make FTM work for me with Steam. Still, considering I sent three CS reports to Steam, you'd think they could have at least directed me to this information (I got no reply at all from Steam) rather than having to find it on my own.
ivniciix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
icitrom

Add me to the list with the exact same problem. I fixed it with help from the posts above.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I purchased the Hearts of Iron III (HoI3) Collection via Steam.

At first you don't know what's wrong because the Steam interface pops a message that it is preparing to run HoI3 and then nothing happens. The popup window with the error message from HoI3 itself is swallowed up. I finally found where the game is actually installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common) and ran the HoI3 program file (hoi3game.exe) directly and saw the error message.

A necessary file (likely the first of a several), MSVCP100.DLL, cannot be found. I imagine this file is the main library file for Microsoft Visual C++, a common programming package used by software developers. The "100" in the file's name alludes to the 2010 version of this package.

Looking at the installed programs on my PC, several versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package were installed on my machine but not the 2010 version, which clearly HoI3 needs.

As an aside, the proper method is that the HoI3 installation program ought to be looking for the presence of all 3rd party components it needs and install them as required. That is what is meant by a redistributable package. It is meant for use by software developers to be included in their distribution and installed by them--not the end-user--if it is not already on the computer.

I downloaded both the x86 and x64 versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package 2010 from Microsoft, installed them, and Bob's your uncle, HoI3 now works fine. I did not have to uninstall anything.

I downloaded the latest versions of these libraries which are both Service Pack 1 (SP1) versions. Here are the links:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

If your version of Windows is not 64-bit, then you only need the x86 version of the package. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, it behooves you to install both the x86 and the x64 versions of the redistributable package in order to service both 32-bit and 64-bit programs. I believe HoI3 is purely 32-bit software. In any case I installed both.

Cheers.
icitrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
UberStuka

I had the same issue, followed steps lisded above and game still would not start for me.

Went out and got DirectX9 form microsoft.

Installed it, Game fired right up!!!!
UberStuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
mcfrood

Thanks icitrom. Solved my problem too. I am not as IT literate as you but agree with your point. Steam and the game developer should be providing all the files that are required to play on major operating systems. Steam tries to absolve themselves of responsibility, but they are a retailer and must take responsibility for the sale of products from their outlet (regardless of the small print on their license agreements). If I bought a game from a retail outlet here in Australia, and they failed to tell me that I would need extra "files", they would be obliged to either fix my problem or return my money for a product that didn't work.
mcfrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
M1sT3rM4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberStuka View Post
I had the same issue, followed steps lisded above and game still would not start for me.

Went out and got DirectX9 form microsoft.

Installed it, Game fired right up!!!!
I was missing this because a friend said I didn't have files due to me having a 64 bit Windows 7. Getting DX9 solved my problem.
M1sT3rM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
intelfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSilver View Post
For what it's worth, I had the exact same issue while running Win7 64. Here's how I finally managed to resolve it:

1) Uninstall ALL Visual c++ (2005/2008/2010) redistributables. CAREFUL, this might have the affect of causing other games to function incorrectly, or not at all even after finishing all the steps here. I take no responsibility for anything that might break if you do this and aren't capable of fixing it yourself.

2) Uninstall Hearts of Iron III.

3) Restart computer.

4) Reinstall Visual c++ 2010 SP1(x64) - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=13523 - then install Visual c++ 2010 (x86) - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=5555 - . Yes, the x86 version is necessary.

5) Reinstall Hearts of Iron III. Run program. Enjoy.

It's a long, frustrating process, but it does eventually pay off. Hearts of Iron III is a genuinely great, deep strategy game.
Thanks alot that actully helped alot!
intelfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hearts of Iron series