Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 07-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
TomasWolf

Magicka Fails To Launch

Hello, I've had this issue for a while but just recently decided to take action. Whenever I go to start Magicka, Steam tells me that it's preparing to launch... Then when it finishes preparing it never launches and says I'm no longer in-game when I never was to begin with. My specs are as follows:

Graphics Card-ATI Raedon X1800
Processor-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
OS-Microsoft Windows XP Professional

And the rest I don't know if it's relevant to list or not. Please help me with this, I don't want to have wasted money on this game that would be great... If I could run it...
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Rideanovan

While I may not be able to personally help you, anyone who can will need a couple things from you. First, a DxDiag. Error logs are also needed to properly gauge your problem. They can usually be found in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\magicka". Open up the latest error log, copy the text and paste it in your reply (make sure to wrap it in code tags, though). Error logs will be named something like "errorReport_2011.07.09-05.00.21_(1).txt".
Rideanovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
IAmSomeone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideanovan View Post
While I may not be able to personally help you, anyone who can will need a couple things from you. First, a DxDiag. Error logs are also needed to properly gauge your problem. They can usually be found in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\magicka". Open up the latest error log, copy the text and paste it in your reply (make sure to wrap it in code tags, though). Error logs will be named something like "errorReport_2011.07.09-05.00.21_(1).txt".
Pretty much that, except the normal Steam folder on a 64-bit OS would be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" (so the error reports would be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\magicka" if you have a 64-bit OS).
IAmSomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
TomasWolf

I think I may have the answer. It's an issue that has been coming up with quite a few of my applications lately. Apparently, I do not have the proper runtime in the .NET framework needed to run Magicka. I have no idea how to solve it, but I know that I have the most recent update for the .NET framework, and I am unable to downgrade if needed. Again, please help me with this situation, as I have been wanting to play this game since I bought it when it was first released through Steam.
TomasWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
PS_

Resolve / Clean-up .NET like this.

Your X1800 graphics are slightly below specs for the game. But Magicka should run, though you might need to go down in resolution and maybe play it windowed. Testfile to get Magicka starting with low resolution and windowed here, provided by @tacc.
PS_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
TomasWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS_ View Post
Resolve / Clean-up .NET like this.

Your X1800 graphics are slightly below specs for the game. But Magicka should run, though you might need to go down in resolution and maybe play it windowed. Testfile to get Magicka starting with low resolution and windowed here, provided by @tacc.
Ah! I think we're getting somewhere. I remember that before This .NET thing started I could run the game and have that black screen issue. I'll take a look at that .NET thing but it wont' be easy, I'm not the best at technical stuff. I'm not good at all at it to be honest.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
TomasWolf

But, all of my .NET frameworks? That's a bit... Harsh. I can't rely on my memory to reinstall everything I need.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
PS_

If we back up a bit before ...

Can you find any error log produced by Magicka ? If so, post the content here.

(search for " error*.txt " and you'll find it, if there is any)
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
TomasWolf

Nope, 0 error logs.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
PS_

Then something really must be wrong with your .NET installation. Then your really back @ post #5.

Apart from only focusing on .NET, ppl have resolved similar issues with system restore, or repairing windows installation, and sometimes also total format / reinstall. ( Like this )
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
TomasWolf

... I'm scared now.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
PS_

Holding hands then

As your post #4 more or less confirm it should be a .NET problem....

There are other known issues causing "Fails To Launch" with no error log. Mostly running some specific program. If you haven't, go through the [B]-[L] "Magicka wont start" listed here. Check if anything apart from .NET-trouble apply to you.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
TomasWolf

Hmm... It appears that there is nothing else that matches up. Then again, nothing really happens. When I try to launch the game through the Steam library, it shows in my friends list that I play the game... For 3 seconds, and then the next time I check my friends list it simply says I'm online. Not in-game or anything.

When I try to launch it from the directory, it says that I don't have the proper .NET framework to run the game.

PS: Thanks for the hand-holding.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
TomasWolf

Huzzah! I have resolved the issue. Thank you all for the help, I could not have done this without you.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
PS_

Great Tomas!

You made it. We just held hands ...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka