Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
iammaxhailme

Is it against the rules to have multiple steam accounts on one email address?

Or to have alts in general?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Thor Bunting

I don't think you can have multiple Steam accounts on one email address, it will return an error and ask you to recover your account. As far as having alts I don't think its against the rules aslong as you don't use them for extra entries into contests or any other sort of bad intent such as exploiting systems and getting around bans.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
MADDOGGE

You can have as any accounts as you want. Several of the Mods have stated they have multiple accounts. I don't think it's against the rules though just not as secure to have 2 accounts tied to the same e-mail in case the worst happens.

Give it a shot. It will either work or give you an error but Steam isn't going to punish you. If it gives you an error make a new additional e-mail account and save the details somewhere safe then finish adding your new account.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Nifroon

I don't really see the appeal to having more than one account anyway.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifroon View Post
I don't really see the appeal to having more than one account anyway.
I can't remember off the top of my head what some of the reasons were but some made sense. For me it's too much like having to change discs. Sign out of this account. Sign into that account.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammaxhailme View Post
Or to have alts in general?
There is no restriction on number of Steam accounts, and you can use a single email address for all of them.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
DougV

There is no problem having multiple Steam accounts under a single email address. Just make sure you keep track of what games are in which account.

DougV
Old 07-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
I can't remember off the top of my head what some of the reasons were but some made sense. For me it's too much like having to change discs. Sign out of this account. Sign into that account.
I have 6 Comcast email addresses.
Only one is tied to my Steam account though.
I have all of those POP3 accounts fed into Eudora email and with one click can check them all at once.

Anyway, just to offer some reasons for it, I have two "spam-catcher" email accounts I use in case I have to supply an email for something I think might result in spam. When they start getting spammed, I delete them and create new ones to take their place.
The others are for personal and business emails that have very specific purposes - certain people, certain forums and such.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Charax

I started a second account and loaded it up with free games when my primary account got compromised (it's mine again now) - Alien Swarm and TF2 really help pass the time

Gmail gives you a ton of addresses - just add a full stop between any of the characters in your email address and it'll still be valid (so 12345@gmail.com will get emails sent to 123.45@gmail.com, 1.2345@gmail.com etc).
Old 07-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Overt.Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
There is no problem having multiple Steam accounts under a single email address. Just make sure you keep track of what games are in which account.

DougV
Keep track of what game are in which account? Wouldn't simply logging into each account do that? What else would you suggest we do to keep track of which games are in which account? I don't understand your comment at all Doug.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
sukach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overt.Enemy View Post
Keep track of what game are in which account? Wouldn't simply logging into each account do that? What else would you suggest we do to keep track of which games are in which account? I don't understand your comment at all Doug.
Maybe so when you buy a game you put it on the account you actually wanted it on. 1 reason.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Sinhealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overt.Enemy View Post
I would imagine for DLC for your games is what he was getting at,no point in having the DLC on 1 account and the game on another
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez View Post
I have 6 Comcast email addresses.
Only one is tied to my Steam account though.
I meant extra Steam accounts Fr33bi3 not e-mail. I thoroughly understand the why of multiple e-mail accounts.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
IIIIGooseIIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post

DougV
Steam support begs to differ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Support
Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Our system is not set up to support this activity. You will need to complete your purchases from a single Steam account.

We will not be able to unlock this account for purchasing or remove the limitations on this copy of Team Fortress 2. Any purchases through the Mann Co. Store will need to be made on your primary Steam Account.

We understand that this is an inconvenience, but we will not be able to assist you.

From this thread.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Demon Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIGooseIIII View Post
Steam support begs to differ:

From this thread.
Wasn't that because of a credit card issue, not because of accounts/e-mails?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion