Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series

Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Cody64

My Evaluation of Red Faction: Armageddon

This may be old, but is still applicable to people who have not yet played the game.

I posted a review for Red Faction: Armageddon at: http://polypwn.com/2011/06/red-facti...onlive-review/

I've updated this post with the link to the review on our new site.

Last edited by Cody64: 08-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
shivars

I found this useful, thanks
shivars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Cody64

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad it was useful, and you can expect more reviews in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrix89 View Post
Good review but I strongly recommend people avoid buying anything from Onlive.

Why? because there's poor quality graphics even on fast connections, quite a few games on Onlive have their multiplayer component completely disabled (such as FlatOut 2 which is still HUGELY popular online), no way to change graphics options or edit config files to get rid of mouse lag/acceleration or change aspect ratio if the game doesn't have the option for it in-game (for example Bloodrayne 2 is stuck in 4:3 on Onlive where as the PC version can run in widescreen with ease), dead/practically non-existent online communities for all of their multiplayer games, no mods and the worst thing is that they can remove games from the service anytime after 3 years of release and even those who paid for a full pass will permanently lose access to them. At least with steam (and other download services) you can backup your games or just play them in offline mode if steam ever went down.

So yeah I suggest people avoid Onlive because if it becomes successful the future of PC gaming will start to look very bleak.
Though I use OnLive (PC is my main platform,though), I do agree with a lot of what you said. I disagree with the last part, though. I don't think that OnLive will be bad for the future of PC gaming. In fact, I think that it will be good for PC (will get more people seeing the platform as a viable gaming solution), and be bad for consoles. My hope is that OnLive starts to get games that are typically exclusive to console, which will make it possible for me to do all of my gaming on PC and no longer have to invest in the consoles (for games like Madden, Gears, and such). As it stands, OnLive is a good way to get people that don't have the money for a console or gaming PC a cheap way to play games.
Cody64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Bud042

What about all these bugs and crashes I'm hearing about?

I'm interested in getting the game, but $50 is a bit much if the game's just gonna be flaky on me
Bud042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
vagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody64 View Post
This may be old, but is still applicable to people who have not yet played the game.

I posted a review for Red Faction: Armageddon at: http://bit.ly/nUkR1A
great review!thanks !! +rep ... just waiting for the price to drop...
vagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
shivars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud042 View Post
What about all these bugs and crashes I'm hearing about?
I have had exactly zero crashes, haven't noticed any bugs and I'm *really enjoying it*.

Really sad those who made it aren't happy and won't be making more
shivars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Cody64

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagan View Post
great review!thanks !! +rep ... just waiting for the price to drop...
Thank you, and thanks for the feedback! We are getting a new site up this weekend (Moving past blogger), and I'll link everyone to it once it's up. We have big plans for our site, and are happy to be taking the next big step
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
NC37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivars View Post
I have had exactly zero crashes, haven't noticed any bugs and I'm *really enjoying it*.

Really sad those who made it aren't happy and won't be making more
Well they killed the Red Faction franchise by taking it away from it's roots. RF1, was excellent. RF2, utter crap. RFG, buggy 3P sandbox but finally back to Mars. Now trying to force RFA on people that are wary of them, didn't succeed. Personally I would have bought every game of the franchise for full price if they would have kept with the story from RF1 instead of jumping around from generation to generation.

Random odd unexplained crashes in RFG is more or less what kept me from giving RFA a shot. Haven't wanted to finish RFG cause I get tired of having to redo things.
NC37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
BritishGaMer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrix89 View Post
Good review but I strongly recommend people avoid buying anything from Onlive.

Why? because there's poor quality graphics even on fast connections, quite a few games on Onlive have their multiplayer component completely disabled (such as FlatOut 2 which is still HUGELY popular online), no way to change graphics options or edit config files to get rid of mouse lag/acceleration or change aspect ratio if the game doesn't have the option for it in-game (for example Bloodrayne 2 is stuck in 4:3 on Onlive where as the PC version can run in widescreen with ease), dead/practically non-existent online communities for all of their multiplayer games, no mods and the worst thing is that they can remove games from the service anytime after 3 years of release and even those who paid for a full pass will permanently lose access to them. At least with steam (and other download services) you can backup your games or just play them in offline mode if steam ever went down.

So yeah I suggest people avoid Onlive because if it becomes successful the future of PC gaming will start to look very bleak.
I'm from the UK hence my nick. And we do not have Onlive http://onlive.co.uk/ services as yet until this Autumn (also Fall in American and Canadian English) Anyways thanks for the post most interesting and will do more research before I decide to take up any offer Onlive decide to throw at us Brits... As for the Game itself I'm playing it on an NVidia GTX 570 Core i7 2600K Turbo charge only 8Gb Ram All latest drivers and the Game runs smooth in D3d11 and I think the Graphics are wonderful on my Syncmaster 24in HD Monitor As for Onlive I have known about them since they first told the world about themselves couple of years ago now they are moving forwards very slowly in terms of pushing the product of there's out to the rest of the world. I do know of another company that is trying to do the same as Onlive and it's a European company called Gaikai http://www.gaikai.com/ go check them out...

Regards
BritishGaMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Cody64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishGaMer View Post
I'm from the UK hence my nick. And we do not have Onlive http://onlive.co.uk/ services as yet until this Autumn (also Fall in American and Canadian English) Anyways thanks for the post most interesting and will do more research before I decide to take up any offer Onlive decide to throw at us Brits... As for the Game itself I'm playing it on an NVidia GTX 570 Core i7 2600K Turbo charge only 8Gb Ram All latest drivers and the Game runs smooth in D3d11 and I think the Graphics are wonderful on my Syncmaster 24in HD Monitor As for Onlive I have known about them since they first told the world about themselves couple of years ago now they are moving forwards very slowly in terms of pushing the product of there's out to the rest of the world. I do know of another company that is trying to do the same as Onlive and it's a European company called Gaikai http://www.gaikai.com/ go check them out...

Regards
Yeah, I've heard of Gaikai. It's an interesting service as well, though it's goals are a bit different than OnLive's.

BTW, we've moved the site past blogger, and are no longer "The Gamer Opinion". You can see the new site at www.polypwn.com. Everything has been ported over, though our older articles still may have some formatting issues. We'll hopefully have it all up to snuff ASAP.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback so far. We'll have some other (long overdue) reviews up soon. We've fallen a bit behind due to building the new site, but we'll be working hard to get everything caught up.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
JamieKirby1981

I never go by other people's reviews, they tend to focus all praise on multiplayer, which i find utterly boringly dull and repetative.

Though i am sure we all appreciate the time you took to do the review.
JamieKirby1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Cody64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieKirby1981 View Post
I never go by other people's reviews, they tend to focus all praise on multiplayer, which i find utterly boringly dull and repetative.

Though i am sure we all appreciate the time you took to do the review.
I appreciate the feedback, though I think if you read my review that you'll see that I did not focus all my praise on the multiplayer. In fact, the only reason I rated the game as highly as I did was that I thoroughly enjoyed the game's superb single player campaign.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Moragami

I have just begun the campaign, and aside from lower resolution cut scenes, the game plays like a dream. It's smooth, the graphics look spectacular, and the destruction is perfect. This is a well polished PC game, and doesn't play like a port at all. Alt-tabbing works perfectly, as does switching default sound devices in game (i.e. plugging in my USB headphones doesn't require me to restart the game), and you can switch from 360 controller to Mouse and keyboard on the fly as well.

So far so good, I'm sorry to hear the game wasn't better received.
Moragami is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series