Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
WikedX

If MS and Sony made a console together, what would it mean for PC gaming?

Rumors are flying since MS made the domain name sony-microsoft.com

A few people actually think they'd make a console together. While I doubt this, it's not out of reason. MS Office is on OSX. MS likes to go for that 100% userbase, even if it means helping their competitors.

How does this affect PC gaming however? Well for starters, Sony and MS working together means two things right away

A) The hardware will be amazing
B) It can cost less since the initial profit loss will be spread between two companies

Even if the hardware is amazing though, a console is a console, and the hardware will be dated after only 2 or 3 years, leaving us with some nasty console ports after 4 or 5 years.

What this also means is XBL is likely going to be the dominate multiplayer system on consoles. Face it: Nintendo doesn't stand a chance on the multiplayer field, and while I personally like PSN, the public image has been shot by hackers.

For PC gaming, this could mean more crap like GWFL. It's already been talked about that XBL is coming to Windows 8. That could also mean paid online for PC gaming is too.

While I think Steam will hold this at bay for awhile, if more companies like EAs Origins show up, you KNOW they'll want money too. They already make you pay for online passes on used games.

Another issue is the exclusive games. How many AAA titles are PC exclusive anymore? How many would be for a Sony-MS console? Imagine Halo, Uncharted, Gears, Resistance, LBP, and Fable all exclusive to this system. With so many extra people buying this system, Sony and MS fans alike, those extra games will sell enough that PC ports won't even seem worth the little effort they already put into them.

It worries me, as a PC game, what this would mean for the quality of the games we buy. Valve and Blizard are the only two companies that really treat us right, and now that PopCap is owned by EA it's just one more sign that they are trying to take over everything. What are your guys thoughts on the subject?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Solona

I'm not worried.
Solona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Timmeh317

They'l be too busy fighting eachother for network service control and profits to be successful.

Even if they have a lengthy legal discussion about it before hand, it will only end in one of them filing a lawsuit towards the other over something. Then the other will file a counter lawsuit, and it's all downhill from there in an IW vs Activision sort of manner.
Timmeh317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
EliteTemptation

I personally think this has to do with phone OS/tablets.

Not consoles
EliteTemptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
velvetmeds

Banned
To PC gaming, not much. To console gaming, the end of quality games and the spawning and respawning of MS's derp franchises.
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Sgt.Gotee

One less platform for developers to port to and from?
Sgt.Gotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Zamav

They won't. It won't mean anything to PC gaming. The end.
Zamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Laguna Loire

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetmeds View Post
To PC gaming, not much. To console gaming, the end of quality games and the spawning and respawning of MS's derp franchises.
PC gaming is already dead, but if this happens it will just kill it off even more.
Laguna Loire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Larry1212

Nothing?

The Domain name was Microsoft-sony.

Also, who says MS and Sony would be making a console together? There's a far greater chance they'd sign a deal to make tablets where MS take care of all the software and sony take care of the hardware, same can be said about mobile phones. That way they could really enter a market they have little or no influence in and atleast give Google and Apple a run for their money. If anything MS have shown increasing interest in entering the mobile phone market and are pushing for their Windows Phone 7 and they're also pushing out tablet OS but haven't been able to find a company able to cater to the specifications of Windows tablet OS.

Last edited by Larry1212: 07-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Loire View Post
PC gaming is already dead
No it isn't.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Laguna Loire

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by in.meinem.turm. View Post
No it isn't.
Modern Warfare 2 is one of the best selling games on Steam. The fact that it is and ever was is a testament to PC gaming's downfall.
Laguna Loire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
MADDOGGE

You worry too much. If they stopped making FPS/TPS games for the PC all together, I still have more than enough games of those genre old and current to keep me busy for my lifetime. It would be cheaper for me. Never have to upgrade again unless my rig died.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
ledbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1212 View Post
Nothing?

The Domain name was Microsoft-sony.
No, it was both. It's said pretty much right at the start.

Anyway, it is interesting that they registered those domain names, but I do find them a little odd. I can't see why they would use a domain name like that for any product.
ledbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
DigitalHoarder

Sony/Microsoft vs Apple. Welcome to the gaming in 2013.
DigitalHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Sami69

Name: this 666
Specs: windows up yours, the annoying version

specs: 1x1m cube which breaks if you happen to sneeze or your prayers aren't good enough. Will attack you if inserting used game disc. Cpu pentium 300mhz,gpu ati 9600, ram 5kb.

Price: 500us dollars and you need to sign contract which gives your soul for microft high priests after you die. Turning console on will void warranty (if it starts at all)

Includes: one 1 button controller (button needs tobe bought separately) and two empty coke bottles with wires which enable you to communice person in 1,5m away from you.

Pre order bonus!: Bill gates will come to slap your face and laugh at you for your purchase.
Sami69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic