Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
stinkytaco

Banned
Smile How to: Really stop steam, and all downloads.

The other night I had to upload some file for work. I closed steam as usual ,and started to upload to my dropbox. Then i went to bed.

In the morning, I wake up to find out that my upload is at only 3%, and the download I canceled was completed.

So rather than being able to finish my work at home, I had to drive to work to physically deliver my files.

Later on, i decided to set up my scheduler to re-boot windows, and 15 minutes later start my dropbox syncing.

The next morning I awake to the shutdown screen waiting for steam to complete it's download tasks.

If you really need steam to stop, you have to take some pretty drastic measures. :

Make a textfile.
Change the extension to BAT or CMD
Edit the file
Type: TASKKILL /IM STEAM.EXE
Save file.
Change Icon if you want.

The above batch file will rip the carpet out from under steam. Closing it unconditionally.

The only reason to really use it:
You like having control over your computer.
You need to stop steam without re-booting.
You use your computer for things other than steam games.

This can break your downloading files, so please use at your own risk.

i only do it because I value my employment, and I need money to buy more steam games.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Weemanply109

Did you actually Right click on the Steam icon in the taskbar and click "Exit"?

Cause I've never experienced anything like this before.
Weemanply109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Likewise, I've never had a problem with exiting by right-clicking on the icon in the taskbar.

If you've already done this, then I don't know what to say, apart from have a word with support.

Alternatively, you can still have Steam open, happily. There's a program knocking about that manages the downloads far more efficiently. I'll see if I can find it (or remember it).
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
I can't say I've ever had Steam fail to close on shutdown/restart.

Can't say I've ever had Steam chewing up my upload bandwidth either. About the only upload it ever does is a Steam Cloud sync after exiting a game, which takes all of a few seconds.

Also, you should be able to upload data while Steam is downloading updates without much of a slowdown.

What you describe is definitely not normal behavior for Steam.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
stinkytaco

Banned
Steam will continue downloading the current piece on some games, rather than just aborting.

Most of the time you will not even notice it, you will only see it if you are trying to use the internet for anything.

Just press control shift ESC, and look for steam.EXE if you want to see it.
You can task kill it from the task manager too.

If you guys are not having problems with what I am describing, I do not recommend doing a task kill.
stinkytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
jaboy

a way to REALLY stop steam ... uninstall it
jaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytaco View Post
Steam will continue downloading the current piece on some games, rather than just aborting.

Most of the time you will not even notice it, you will only see it if you are trying to use the internet for anything.

Just press control shift ESC, and look for steam.EXE if you want to see it.
You can task kill it from the task manager too.
So, can you confirm - just out of interest - that you've tried the right-click on the icon on the taskbar?

Other than that, if you've still got the Steam process in your Task Manager despite attempts to kill it, then something is awry.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
stinkytaco

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
So, can you confirm - just out of interest - that you've tried the right-click on the icon on the taskbar?

Other than that, if you've still got the Steam process in your Task Manager despite attempts to kill it, then something is awry.
Yup, It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and issues a close program command to steam.exe... (unless it is busy, then it will offer you a task kill "Force close".)
It is just like hitting the close window X, or the Rightclick menu in the system tray : EXIT.

It dose not just do it on my home system, It does it to the server at work, My computer at work, and 2 of the slave systems we use when we are rendering with our desktop systems. (one of them is running steam under WINE.)
So that is 1 Windows XP, 1 Ubuntu 10.04 with WINE, and 2 Windows 7 systems.

Like I stated before It is only certain games that will do this.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Mave.ts

Yes, because creating a batch file is a lot more easier than Ctrl+Shift+Escape and kill steam.exe from there, right?
Mave.ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytaco View Post
Yup, It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and issues a close program command to steam.exe... (unless it is busy, then it will offer you a task kill "Force close".)
It is just like hitting the close window X, or the Rightclick menu in the system tray : EXIT.

It dose not just do it on my home system, It does it to the server at work, My computer at work, and 2 of the slave systems we use when we are rendering with our desktop systems. (one of them is running steam under WINE.)
So that is 1 Windows XP, 1 Ubuntu 10.04 with WINE, and 2 Windows 7 systems.

Like I stated before It is only certain games that will do this.
In that case, I don't know what to say. I've never seen it myself. Forgive me if this sounds rude, but if you're having the same trouble with 3 different systems you installed Steam upon, then maybe you've done something wrong in the installation process or subsequently?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
stinkytaco

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mave.ts View Post
Yes, because creating a batch file is a lot more easier than Ctrl+Shift+Escape and kill steam.exe from there, right?
Yes indeed.

All i have to do is click on the Icon in my Dock... Done. 1 step!

The otehr way:
Press control-shift - esc
Find steam.exe
Rightclick on steam.exe
Select the task kill command.
Wait.
Confirm the task kill
Wait...
Done. 7 steps.

EDIT : @ CrunchyFrog, Thanks. I thought of that because we have our own in house software (very much in alpha state).
I did a quick install into a Virgin VM, with only updated drivers and service packs.
Seems like the huge downloads do it more than others.. that might just be a coincidence though.

Last edited by stinkytaco: 07-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips