Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dino D-Day

Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Prosthetix

DO BUY: A Critique after 138 hours of play.

Hello everybody.

It was brought up in another post that this game has been getting a generally bad rep, and despite my inclination to just let opinions be opinions, I feel obliged to post my feelings on this game, for the sake of prospective buyers.

First off, I've played since day one, and have yet to be disappointed by this game.

A multiplayer-only romp, I've seen the kind of fun this game offers over the average manshoot, presenting you with frequent scenarios you wouldn't find in another game.

The classes are extremely well balanced, and I've found my self both being as, and slaughtering with, each class, and I'd enjoy being in a server with people who believe balance falls otherwise.

It has flaws, worth mentioning are the server resets (occurs every few hours or so), and the ability to cheat death (bind "kill" to key allows you to suicide instead of being counted as a point when incapacitated). There were many others, but their repair brings me to another, very important point.

The Developers. 800 North has been pretty liquid awesome since the game's release, especially being a small (and, I mean small) independent company. They've fixed a plethora of bugs and artistic issues, as well as delivered free updates in a pretty timely manner (next one is slated for the 28th, adds playable Protoceratops, Pachycephalosaurus, and Tyrano classes, as well as a map, a development sdk, changes to the UI and dinosaur actions).

The most important point to note is that most of the bugs and updates have quite literally been suggestions here on the forum. The development team actually gives a , and that level of care comes through in the progression and continued development of the game.

So, summary?
Buy it.

If you're a fan of predator-prey relationship'd games, if you've an itching to hide in foliage as a Twelve-Foot long carnivore, darting across a clearing to kill an enemy Medic, and then disappearing into a building on the other side.
Buy it.

If you can imagine sneaking into a storefront to ambush a twenty-foot tall gun-toting bellowing Stryacosaur with a handheld mortar.
Buy it.

By all means, wait for the sale on the 28th. But if you're looking for a fun, fast paced multiplayer shooter that sees regular free content updates, that has a friendly community and an awesome dev team? By far my most enjoyed game of the past year.

If you do follow my suggestion, or if you're already an owner, feel free to add me on Steam (same name as on here). I look forward to seeing you in the dinosaur-infested 1940's.

[Update, 7/18/2011]: So, today, a day after I posted this^, the developers have implemented the fix to the point-robbing suicide exploit in the update on the 28th. Awesome stuff, 800 North!

Last edited by Prosthetix: 07-18-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Status update
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
gnoj

Yes, I love this game too. One of the best games on my steam account.
gnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
awesomevulcan

rep for this guy. Finally someone has complained on how good the game is.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
hfett2

How could you achive 100+ hours if the servers are always empty?

I like this game, but i always find empty servers
Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Pvt Hack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfett2 View Post
How could you achive 100+ hours if the servers are always empty?

I like this game, but i always find empty servers
I'd love it more if there were people to play with...
Pvt Hack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
c_b_fofep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Hack57 View Post
I'd love it more if there were people to play with...
Big promotion coming next week y'all, I feel your pain. T-Rex, new dinos, new map, Free Weekend, sale, etc. Hang in there!
c_b_fofep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
gnoj

n

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_b_fofep View Post
Big promotion coming next week y'all, I feel your pain. T-Rex, new dinos, new map, Free Weekend, sale, etc. Hang in there!
I can't wait to play again on full servers.
gnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
hfett2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoj View Post
I can't wait to play again on full servers.
Same here
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
EvilDeadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_b_fofep View Post
They've spared no expense!
EvilDeadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Adrock4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosthetix View Post
The classes are extremely well balanced, and I've found my self both being as, and slaughtering with, each class, and I'd enjoy being in a server with people who believe balance falls otherwise.
I've only ever seen you play as Dilo and Nigel, but whatever.
Adrock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Prosthetix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock4 View Post
I've only ever seen you play as Dilo and Nigel, but whatever.
Haha, yep, I find them the most fun. I raptor it up a bit too!
I have to admit, I rarely play as the human , though... I know people like them, but I could never not choose a dinosaur when given the chance.
Prosthetix is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dino D-Day