Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
Karoltgreat

TF2 Black Screen

I don't have any other steam gamyes to compare this to since I only really joined steam when tf2 came out for free but, here's my problem.

I start up TF2, The usual intros come in (valve logo then powered by source) After that, there's a black screen, i can tell from my cursor it's loading. After it finishes loading i hear the swooping in sound and then the music starts but the screen remains black. Each time I try this a different sound track plays and sometimes when i click on a certain spot it makes a clicking noise. I tried joining my friends session once and i could hear the game and explosions but the screen was still black. I have to alt tab to exit it.

Things i've already tried:
-novid
-changing the resolutions
-updating the drivers (which were already updated)
-reinstalling it
-autoconfig -dxlevel 80/81/90
-Some settings my friend gave me
-Windowed
-Fullscreen

None of these worked
My specs are
Intel i5 2.27Ghz
Windows 7 64 bit
I think an Nvidia Geforce 335m (1gb) with intel HD graphics
4gb ram
DirectX 11.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

EDIT: I'm only 14 years old so please keep things simple for me. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Nekomancer

Well, the problem could be that the game uses your Intel HD graphics, which is not supported in Team Fortress 2, try enforcing the use of the real dedicated videochip.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Karoltgreat

I'm sorry to ask but how do i do that? I'm sorta confused because i have bothe nvidia and intel graphics.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
Nekomancer

I'd take a look at the manual of your laptop.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
Karoltgreat

Well I went onto my Nvidia settings and changed prefered graphics card from intergrated to high powered nvidia card but nothing happened. Anyway my manual for the laptop just tells me how to switch on/off the computer, where the plugs are and not to submerge it in water.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Teh_Guy

odd.. my Specs are pretty much identical to yours (except your processor is faster and I have a 330M instead of a 335M) and it worked just fine out of the box (the ORANGE BOX).. I'll have to look into this..
Teh_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Karoltgreat

Yeah i tried updating all my drivers, now I think I have windows 7 service pack 1. My antivirus is windows security essentials by the way. That too is updated, however shows no sign of blocking tf2 activity. Maybe it would help if I told you my mass effect 2 used to work just fine but now after not playing for a while I encounter the same problem as I have with tf2, black screen but music and sound effects playing (although I'm not so concerned with mass effect since I already completed it). And thank you so much for looking into my problem . And one extra piece of info I have an an Asus laptop n series I think. I hope this helps and again, thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Febox_Reborn

Have you tried changing compatability modes? and running as administrator? I had a problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R:Call of Pripyat, It had insane loading times, about 10 minutes. Changed Steam.exe to no longer run in compatability mode, works fine now.
Febox_Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #9
Karoltgreat

I had before changed the compatability modes but I changed them back now. Do you suggest i try that again?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Karoltgreat

Just saying that before my mass effect 2 was working just fine and after not playing it for ages i encounter the same problem as i have with TF2. But i dont need a fix for ME2 as i already completed it. TY
Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
nickcool

Try to update/Reinstall Latest Graphics Card drivers.
nickcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Well, I don't want to muddy the issue, but when I saw the "TF2 black screen" message on this thread, I instantly thought of Intel onboard graphics card, as it's quite a common problem with them not being supported and all.

What I would say OP, is if you're unsure what the graphics card type is, press START, and in the little text box type: dxdiag and then ENTER.

On the window that comes up, click the Display (2nd tab) and read what it says on there for the graphics device - that'll be precisely what is being used.

Please do tell us what the answer is, and if it's the Intel onboard one, then either you've misinterpreted something, or if you do have a GeForce card, then it's clearly not setup correctly.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 AM   #13
Karoltgreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
Well, I don't want to muddy the issue, but when I saw the "TF2 black screen" message on this thread, I instantly thought of Intel onboard graphics card, as it's quite a common problem with them not being supported and all.

What I would say OP, is if you're unsure what the graphics card type is, press START, and in the little text box type: dxdiag and then ENTER.

On the window that comes up, click the Display (2nd tab) and read what it says on there for the graphics device - that'll be precisely what is being used.

Please do tell us what the answer is, and if it's the Intel onboard one, then either you've misinterpreted something, or if you do have a GeForce card, then it's clearly not setup correctly.
Sorry i was away for a few days and was unable to reply. As i said before (i think) my laptop comes with intel hd graphics as well as an Nvidia geforce 335m 1gb. I have the option to change between the 2 with my Nvidia control panel. What i have tried is going to hl2.exe and changing the preffered graphics card from the intergrated one, to the High powered Nvidia one, to no avail.
Thank you anyway. I also want to ask that if i change my preffered graphics card, do i just have to change it for hl2.exe or do i have to change it for some other files as well? Thanks

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips