Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Zebulon5000

Civ V through steam will not launch

Sinces the summer camp deal on Civ products the next day i play no problem then 2 days later try to go play the game and steam become not responding. i have uninstalled steam updated my Video cards every thing I can think of to get it to work and nothing so I run on an XP system i have NVIDIA GeFprce 7600 gt, Intel 2.6 Duo core, 3.25 Gb of ram. if you need to know more let me know but if this is not fixed by months end I will become real mad and take my money away from all steam games and tell all my friends to do the same.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Gumshoe

This recently happened to me out of nowhere too. Was playing the game fine one day and now it won't boot to the menu.

Computer runs everything else fine and shows no signs of degrade.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
e2me2t

CIV V wont start anymore

Tried buying explorers map pack it said I already had it, so tried to start Civ V to confirm but it started to install and came up with incomplete installation error. I did a verification and that was alright so tried again, same error occurs.
Anyone got any ideas?
e2me2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
teelaurila

Edited game? How to stop automatic updates to the game?

I had exactly the same issue. The game wouldn't start, no crash messages, it just silently died upon startup.

Re-loading and re-configuring the game from Steam seems to have fixed the issue (game loaded up, but I haven't played to test stability yet).

The probable reason for the crash was that I had modified the game for myself the easy way - editing the xml files directly. Apparently the game had updated itself, without asking any prompt from me, and in the process tied its knickers to a deadly knot. The process of re-streamlining the game also wiped out my changes and seems to have saved games played under my previous version trash.

So, first I would like to ask if anyone knows How to make the game not update itself without asking me? I play this for single player and can update between games, not wanting to start over a long game whenever a patch comes up, thank you

Second, in case this is of any use to anyone, reprinted here are the instructions Steam sent me to reset the game, which allowed me to start it again. (The layout of a 12 y/o that near makes the reader's eyes bleed is theirs, directly copied):

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator." If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps: 1) Exit Steam. 2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK". 3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE 4) Right click and select "Permissions" 5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read". The remaining steps apply to *all* versions of Windows. Then, verify the game's files at least once: Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF) Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...2037-QEUH-3335 NOTE: There may be files that fail to validate. This is normal and can be ignored. If the issue persists, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game. Exit Steam entirely. Browse to your Civilization V installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\) Run the following installers: ...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\VCRedist\vcredist_x86.exe ...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\DirectX\DXSetup.exe Reboot your computer and test the issue again. If you continue to have difficulty, and you are running Windows Vista or 7, please also run the following installer (if you are using Window XP you may skip this step): ...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\DirectX\D3D11Install.exe Reboot once more and test the issue again. Should the error persist, and you are running the game on Windows Vista or Windows 7, attempt to run the game in an alternate DirectX mode. On launch, the game should give you two options: -"Sid Meier's Civilization V DirectX 9" -"Sid Meier's Civilization V DirectX 10 & 11" Please test both of these options and check if the problem exists in both. If the issue persists, further support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the instructions in the link below to contact the support provider to troubleshoot this issue: Title: Sid Meier's Civilization V Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...1860-EGJZ-1194
Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
CaffeineRage

I tried to clean up the instructions and make them make a bit more sense. Hopefully, they will be less confusing and easier to follow.

Hello, Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:

1) Exit Steam.

2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".

3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE

4) Right click and select "Permissions"

5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

The remaining steps apply to *all* versions of Windows. Then, verify the game's files at least once:

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...2037-QEUH-3335

NOTE: There may be files that fail to validate. This is normal and can be ignored.

If the issue persists, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

1) Exit Steam entirely.

2)Browse to your Civilization V installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\)

3) Run the following installers: ...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\VCRedist\vcredist_x86.exe ...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\DirectX\DXSetup.exe

4) Reboot your computer and test the issue again.

If you continue to have difficulty, and you are running Windows Vista or 7, please also run the following installer (if you are using Window XP you may skip this step):

...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\DirectX\D3D11Install.exe

Reboot once more and test the issue again.

Should the error persist, and you are running the game on Windows Vista or Windows 7, attempt to run the game in an alternate DirectX mode.

On launch, the game should give you two options: -"Sid Meier's Civilization V DirectX 9" -"Sid Meier's Civilization V DirectX 10 & 11" Please test both of these options and check if the problem exists in both.

If the issue persists, further support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the instructions in the link below to contact the support provider to troubleshoot this issue: Title: Sid Meier's Civilization V Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...1860-EGJZ-1194
CaffeineRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
e2me2t

Tried all above and deleted and reinstalled also tried error 55 advice, still comes up with the error
Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Zebulon5000

yea still the same but will send something to 2k as well see if there guy give it more thought then steam
Zebulon5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
CaffeineRage

After finally finishing the download, I'm getting the issue now. Maybe it is karma for editing the instructions, which didn't help one bit.

Time to go yell at 2K.
CaffeineRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
e2me2t

Trolled 2k forums for similar errors

Turned off my antivirus(avast) then ran the program, which then installed whatever and it works!!!
Only problem now I still cannot buy the explorers map pack as it says I already have it!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Uocjat

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2me2t View Post
Turned off my antivirus(avast) then ran the program, which then installed whatever and it works!!!
Only problem now I still cannot buy the explorers map pack as it says I already have it!
you sir or madam deserve a cookie ( :: )
for the last 3 days i have been uninstalling reinstalling deleteing obscure files and relaunching and pulling my hair out because nothing work and was almost considdering sueing steam for wasting my time if it hadn't been because the game was like 66% off
happen to be using avast and turing it off instantly made it work .. as far as anti-virus programs goes this is one of rthe least gamer friendly ones i've come across just the frigging update popup is engouth to drive me nuts sometimes bah
Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
e2me2t

Glad to solve that one, for a few of us at least Choco chip will be fine!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series