Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series

Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Wolfgeist

Deus Ex: Invisible War black screen **FIX**

Ok, before I get to the good stuff, let me explain the issue and the supposed "fixes". When some people launch Deus Ex: Invisible War, when you start a new game, you will get a black screen that freezes. The level will never go away and your Task Manager will say Deus Ex isn't responding. If you force close it, the IonLauncher.exe program will still run, and 3-5 minutes later the actual game will load and you can play it....until you have to load the next level, which in DX:IW is roughly every 5-10 minutes.

I tried turning off Vsync, using different mice, updating audio drivers, updating video drivers, installing a disc based version, using cracked exe files, using compatibility mode. NONE work.

The cause of this problem? Realtek audio drivers. I found this completely on accident. I played it while wearing my Logitech G35 headset which uses its own drivers to handle audio, bypassing the Realtek drivers. It worked fine. Switching back to Realtek, you get the same problem.

Bottom line, IF YOU HAVE REALTEK AUDIO THEN THIS IS THE CAUSE. As for a fix, headphones that utilize their own audio drivers is an obvious fix, but aside from that, this is either a hardware conflict with Realtek chipsets or a software conflict with certain drivers.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Etherfast

I've had the same issue, and I ended up fixing it by setting the process affinity from task manager, to only one CPU core.

The problem was caused by a strange compatibility with my multiple cores CPU.
Etherfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
beikul

Thumbs up

+1 for the Realtek theory - I just plugged in my logitech G35 headphones and the problem has gone away.

Thanks for the post.
beikul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Wolfgeist

Yep, I think pretty much we can confirm that it is 100% Realtek, NOT caused by multiple CPU cores.

Unfortunately, this isn't an easy fix for everyone. Unless someone wants to roll back their Realtek drivers until they find one that works, this is a pretty unconventional fix.
Wolfgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Firetaffer

Yeah, I have the exact same issue, and while thanks for telling me what is causing it, I don't have any other source of sound output. Is there a workaround for this?
Firetaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Z()mb3h

This hasn't helped me one bit.

The only times I get black screen is when I use the FOV/Widescreen fix program.

The black screen comes on when I start the game (during intro movies) and when I try to load one (during loading movie and loading screen.)

Then it just crashes to desktop.

I deleted the game afterwards. There was no way I was playing with default FOV.

This is on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
Z()mb3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Wolfgeist

Z()mb3h

Your issue is completely different. This concerns the loading error when starting a mission, with no mods and on a fresh install. You can watch cutscenes, navigate the menu, etc. but when you attempt to start the game, it hangs when you get to the level load screen.

There is no crash to desktop for this specific problem, it just fails to respond indefinitely.
Wolfgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
MaynardJK

I was having this problem, and got new drivers from realtek. Game works now.

Thanks for finding this out OP.

Closing Chrome has fixed my problems.

Last edited by MaynardJK: 08-06-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
BigChiefJake

was getting the blackscreen when starting a new game up and just updated my audio drivers and it fixed it thanks for pointing out the problem

EDIT: okay nevermind i thought it worked but as soon as i got another loading screen there it is again

Last edited by BigChiefJake: 07-28-2011 at 09:55 AM.
BigChiefJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
AlexSeeney

To the OP - firstly, thanks for finding the cause of the issue - i've been banging my head against a brick wall for the past 24 hours trying to figure out the cause of this black screen. However, using a headset with it's own drivers hasn't solved my issue. Did you just have to plug in the headset and run the game? Or was there some form of configuration?

I'm trying realtek driver updates now, it's hard to know what to download, but at the moment it's the drivers from their website, which are from the 12th of July this year...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
AlexSeeney

Update - the driver install did nothing.

MaynardJK - could you tell us which drivers you installed, and where from?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
AlexSeeney

I appreciate that i'm triple posting here, so apologies for that.

However - i got a little impatient (hey, i've been wanting to run this game for a while), so i downloaded the Steam client, and downloaded the Deus Ex collection - and both games are now installed and running very well. The first seems to have no issues so far, whereas IW shows me glimpses of my desktop occasionally between loading points.

So i guess the issue is confined to the old CD-ROM release of the 2nd game?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
MaynardJK

After my first post the game stopped working for some reason.

I uninstalled my audio drivers through device manager.

then i installed these - High Definition Audio Codecs (Software) from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/, restarted my pc.

Game is working again. I played through the first few loads with no problems. I quit and started dx2 back up and everything is still working.

Anytime the game goes to a load screen it does minimize and go to the desktop for about 5 or 10 sec before the load screen pops up. Its annoying, but at least its working.

Also I only own the steam version, and this is the first time I've ever got the game to run on this pc.

Close Chrome

Last edited by MaynardJK: 08-06-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
AlexSeeney

^That's exactly what i installed, and it had no effect whatsoever.

Sounds like your DX2 issue is the same as mine, but yeah, at least it's working.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
MaynardJK

This is irritating as hell. I played the game for at least 1 hour with no problems. I played through until you get out of the tarsis academy.

I've done absolutely nothing to my pc in the past 4 hours. It has idled.

Now DX2 is not working again (just like earlier). Its back to where it was, freezing up right before the load screen, and then once i ctrl + alt + del and close out of both dx2 programs the game just starts up again for no reason a minute or so later. Also I've restarted, but that had no effect.

I'm pretty sure I can get it working again (if for only 1 session) by uninstalling and re-installing the audio drivers. I'm about done with DX1 and was gonna play through 2 before DX3 comes out, but Im not sure its worth the hassle, lets face it DX2 was mediocre at best.

Close Chrome

Last edited by MaynardJK: 08-06-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series