Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod

Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
kidnova23

A Garrys Mod how-to!

I just made this forum to post tutorials, how to do stuff, you know. Post your tutorials if you want! (First one is for new comers, rest will be for experienced players, under 'Advanced')

Beginners:
Using the Physgun-The Physgun is used to move props, freeze them in place, and rotate them to the spot that you want. To move a prop, pull out the Physgun and hold Mouse1 (left click) to grab a prop. When holding a prop, press Mouse2 (right click) to freeze it, then let go of Mouse1 so you don't grab it and unfreeze it again. While holding a prop or ragdoll, or vehicle, etc, hold the Use key (default is E) and move the mouse to turn the prop. While holding a prop with Mouse1, and while holding E, you can hold SHIFT to turn the prop by snapping it into place.
-
EDIT: You can also move the prop further away or closer to you, by moving the scroll wheel while holding the prop.
-
EDIT2: You can NOCLIP (fly around and go through walls) and UNDO (delete last spawned object. After last one is undone, you can keep clicking to keep deleting things in the order you spawned them, until all are gone.) To noclip, I think you press X, but I changed mine to N. Original undo is Z, I changed mine to X. To change buttons, press ESC to pause the game and/or open the game menu. Click options / keyboard and there you go. To turn on the console, go to Options / Keyboard and click Advanced, then make sure the Developer Console is checked [,/]. To open the console to use cheats, scripts and other things, press the Grave / Tilde key ( ~ ` ) which is under the ESC button next to 1, if you are noobish.

Last edited by kidnova23: 07-26-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
kidnova23

Beginners (continued): Spawning--In gmod, you can spawn props and other stuff you have or downloaded. To bring up the Spawn / Tool menu, press and hold Q. While holding Q, you can choose a prop from the list on the left, either by browsing, or by using the Tabs to choose what type of prop you are looking for. To spawn it, just click it. You will hear a noise if it spawned. Let go of Q and you will see the prop wherever you are looking, so make sure you look at the ground when you spawn one, or it will be at the other side of the map, or falling from the sky .

Using the ToolGun--The tool gun allows you to do different things with a prop, ragdoll, entity, vehicle, and so on. First, hold Q to bring up the Spawn / Tool menu. On the right side you will see a list of tools and tool types. To pick a tool, click it, and you will automatically switch to your toolgun, with the selected tool applied to it. Also when you click the tool, that tool's menu will pop up on the far right side. You can also see this menu without opening the Q menu that blocks your view, by pressing C to open the Context menu. While in the tool's menu, you can change the settings of the tool to fit your priorities (or whatever you want to call it). Here's an example: You pick the 'Wheel' tool. Choose the wheel you want in the context menu. Shoot at the ground, or at a prop to spawn and weld (like glue) the wheel to the ground or prop. To change the wheel's direction, get very close to it (at least 1-3 feet away) and press E. The wheel's direction will be inverted, and whatever number you have set for forward will become reverse.

Vehicles: To spawn a vehicle, do the same as the other steps, but instead of searching through the prop menu, go to top and click the 'vehicles' tab (duh). In the vehicles tab, click the vehicle or chair that you want, and it will spawn just like a prop. To enter a vehicle, press E. If it is a motorized vehicle like a car, you can use WASD to move and steer it. If it's a chair, you can sit on it! Yay! (Vehicle WIRING tutorials will be in advanced later.)
Well now I'm tired with beginners work, so I'm going to teach Advanced tutorials in a little bit.
-
EDIT: Also, to spawn NPCs do the same thing. When in the NPC menu, you can choose what weapon the NPC uses, you can choose ai_disable, which will freeze all characters if checked [,/], you can click ignore players, which will cause npcs to ignore you and only attack other npcs.

Last edited by kidnova23: 07-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.
kidnova23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
kidnova23

Before I start the experienced teachings, I forgot to mention, if you are beginner: Weapons don't work in water / props can't be pushed too far in to a wall or they will spaz out and kill you / and Father Grigori can only use the Annabelle weapon.

Advanced
-----------------------------------
Wiremod: Wiremod is a mod for gmod that mods the mod so you can mod vehicles o.o . Ok what wiremod REALLY is for, is that you can wire things together without the need for scripting. Here's an example in mini-story form: Jimmy spawned an airboat to use in a vehicle deathmatch. He spawned a turret and welded it to the boat. When DM came, he had trouble using the numpad to shoot the gun, since he also needed the mouse to see where his enemies were. At the end, he deleted the turret and pulled out WIREMOD SVN. He attached a Wire: Advanced Pod Controller to the boat, and linked it to the boats controls by right clicking both of them. He attached a Wire: Turret to the side. Then, to make it more fun, he attached Wire: Thrusters to the bottom, front of the bottom, front of the top, and the back. He then pulled out his Advanced Wiring tool, and began to wire them all together. He wired the 'A' of the Turret to Mouse1 (or Left click if I remember) of the Pod controller, the 'A' of the back thrusters to Shift, the 'A' of the bottom thrusters to Space, 'A' of front bottom thrusters to MouseWheelDown, and the 'A' of the front top thrusters to MouseWheelUp, he wired the 'A' of the side thrusters to A and D. When he got in and pressed Shift, the airboat used turbo. When he pressed Space, it jumped, and flew up when held. When he pressed shift while in the air, it flew. When he pressed A or D, it would turn WHILE IN AIR. When he scrolled down, the boat flew up, and when up it flew down.
...I should be an eccentric story teller .
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
kidnova23

To AVDrampage, Yes this is the forum.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
kidnova23

WIRE SVN DOWNLOADS: In order to use wiremod, or any other SVN, you must have an SVN downloader. The one I use can be found here: http://tortoisesvn.net/
Click the download that fits your computers properties (win32 is 32-bit, 64 is 64-bit). After installing this on your computer, you will have new buttons in your Right click drop down menu, that say SVN checkout, SVN repository, etc. All SVN download links can be found here (DO NOT DOWNLOAD THESE WITHOUT READING NEXT PART!!! THIS IS URGENT!!!): http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=SVN_Links HOW TO DOWNLOAD SVNs: SVNs can NOT be downloaded the same way as every other download. To download wiremod, for example, do this. Highlight and Copy the SVN link for wiremod, create a folder on desktop called 'wiresvn', place this in garrysmod/garrysmod/addons, Right click the wiresvn folder and click SVN checkout, Paste the link that you copied into the checkout repository, and start the download. It will start loading everything into the folder. When its done, right click it and click SVN update, just to be sure it is at its latest. NOTE: Some SVNs have a strange way of downloading, but most are the same.
-
EDIT: I know i said the drop menu says svn checkout and repository, blah, blah...just ignore it.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
kidnova23

Advanced continued
----------------------------------
With Wiremod, you can now have 2x more fun, and you'll have 10x more later.
Vehicles: Advanced Pod Controller: You know you can wire things to the advpc, but you can also wire it to itself, although its not too exciting. For instance if you want your crosshairs to be on while youre in a car, pull out the adv wire tool and wire the pod's Crosshair, to pod's Active, where Active means that the vehicle is being used or someones inside driving it.
Adv. Gyro Pod: This requires the Adv. Pod Controller to be with it. The Adv. Gyro is used to make space ships, hovercrafts, jets, and stuff like that, and you can wire it to make it move using your mouse too. First, spawn and link the pod control to your seat. Then spawn an Adv Gyro, and easy weld it on top of the ship, dead center. (Easy Precision tool is easier, and more efficient than using Easy Weld). Then link it to your seat like the pod ctrl. Go to your Arithmetic chips (I think) and spawn a logic gate, with Invert not checked [X]. Spawn a Constant Value with 2 numbers both below 10. Pull out your Adv. Wiring tool, Wire gyro Forward to pod W, gyro moveleft to pod A, gyro backward (or moveback?) to pod S, gyro moveright-pod D. Gyro moveup-pod space, gyro movedown-pod (pick one) Shift or ALT or something like that, or wire the up and down movements to the scrollwheel.
-
EDIT: Alright I forgot rest and I'm tired so heres a youtube video, watch it in HD so you can see the words better...enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFaPdJnTXsl

Last edited by kidnova23: 07-26-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
kidnova23

The 10x more fun thing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbOHCopCyiU

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod