Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chaser

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
YingYangYong

This game is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

I havnt spell checked this, as its just a quick write up.

I missed this back in the day and I'm playing it now for the first time, I think I'm near the end of the game now, just entering the big doors on the Mars base. It's a good wholesome old skool pc fps and I'm loving it. It's from the golden age of pc fps games.

It's like FEAR minus the horror + farcry 1 indoors maps + total recall 'ish story. In fact I would say that some parts of this game influenced monolith when they developed the first FEAR game, even the slowmo in FEAR is very very similar to the slowmo in Chaser and the grimy industrial locations \ warehouse \ metal racking \ steam pipes and ladders lol yep FEAR WAS influenced by this game I'm sure of it, just to clarify there is no horror, I'm simply talking about the art direction of some levels.

Summary
-------

1) perfect mouse keyboard control.

2) YOU CAN SAVE ANYTIME via the menu AND QUICK SAVE\LOAD, take note console developers I WANT TO SAVE ANYWHERE.

2) nice engine and graphics for its age. enemy AI is simple but still a challenge when they are in numbers, slowmo helps a lot and head shots kill.

3) no crashing, i did get stuck in some geometry a few times while jumping around into small spaces and gaps.

4) love the cutscenes, decent story that unfolds well via the cutscenes, the game is paced well. I wont give anymore info on story so no spoilers but the story just sets the scene for shooting the bad guys. The voice acting needed a little more work but you get over it when you get into the story, so give it time.

5) fantastic variety of levels, space station, underground facilities, snowy russian bases, underwater levels, run down back streets etc about 20+ hours of gameplay so far for me. The level of detail needed a little more work but its still ok.

6) the guns are sweet, knife, pistol, shotgun, snipper, granade launcher etc you know the score and they feal nice to use, not as good as FEAR gunplay but close. The reload animation takes a little too long and I died alot while reloading when an enemy came round corners, but thats just me being crap lol.

Imagine what amazing games they could produce now with the latest tech, this game NEEDS a sequal. please please please start making good games again. Hand on heart, I've had more fun playing Chaser than any AAA game this year, thats the truth folks.

So if your thinking of buying this game, stop thinking and just buy it

EDIT: When I wrote the above I was nowhere near the end actually only about 2/3rds. Finished it now 30+ hours gameplay, some of the levels are HUGE. I loved it. Please make Chaser 2.

Last edited by YingYangYong: 07-27-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
JK_DC

+1. Good game but only took me 20 hours or so. Wasn't the mall level great? I may try a hard game later on. Even on normal some of the levels were tough.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
SPG

Just started this game. It's fantastic so far. the story already has me hooked.

Why does it get so little attention?
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
eXoSolid

im going to buy it too, with let you know later what i think about it
eXoSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
BaziKo

Hey guys thank god you loved this game like I do, it's really fantastic for me and it seems to be the same for you, thanks for playing it =D
BaziKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
MADDOGGE

Careful guys playing real games has a negative effect on your ability to tolerate what passes for games these days.

Really great game. I've had it retail for eons. So glad when it finally came to Steam because installing this game retail is a nightmare. Requires 2 patches and manually creating the game directory before it will even install. Must have been really embarrassing on launch day.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
eXoSolid

This is a underrated gem, i played it for a few hours, i really like the story, the gameplay everything, gg !
eXoSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Saijin_Naib

Foreign Legion: BoB forum
Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
Careful guys playing real games has a negative effect on your ability to tolerate what passes for games these days.

Really great game. I've had it retail for eons. So glad when it finally came to Steam because installing this game retail is a nightmare. Requires 2 patches and manually creating the game directory before it will even install. Must have been really embarrassing on launch day.
Actually, it never required any patching on XP (without service packs) or on Windows 2000. I've played it retail on both operating systems :P
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Dave3d

I bought it both on steam and gog.
Great little game, but buggy.
Dave3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Blade cop

I tried installing the retail version on Vista 32 bit, but it won't install. Anyone had the same issue?
Blade cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
paulo5150

good game
paulo5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chaser