Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #151
SunriseDriver

Banned
So much inside info and conspiracy theories....How can you know exactly who pulled off? We can only guess.
SunriseDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #152
Fred DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magnum View Post
I could also argue that Valve could just be butthurt that other stores got the exclusive DLC and they didn't, so they drew up a new ToS.
yeah, well, we're talking about a business, not pre-school. you think businessmen get "butthurt"? you really think Valve would forgo thousands of dollars of revenue because they're "butthurt"? that doesn't sound like Valve - or any business for that matter - at all.

besides, you still purchase Crysis 2 DLC through the in-game store. so it really doesn't matter where you buy the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magnum View Post
It really doesn't matter. So what if you proved that EA is EVEN MOAR EVIL? I just want my games back, whether Valve reworks a new ToS or EA reworks its DLC to meet the current ToS.
it doesn't have anything to do with being "evil". it's just business. EA is trying hard to push their Origin platform. the biggest boost for Origin would be exclusive digital availability of EA games through Origin, and removing them from the top competitor is the first step, maybe even the only step necessary, since neither Impulse nor D2D or GG are as widely accepted by PC gamers as Steam is.

it doesn't really matter to me, though. i buy EA games retail anyway since it's cheaper, and since they usually have their own DRM anyway.
Fred DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #153
ZetaShade

As long as I don't lose my Mass Effect games, I'm not paying much attention to this until Steam and EA come out with statements as to why games are being removed.
ZetaShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #154
Parlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconstantflux View Post
Looks to be this:

http://nerdreactor.com/2011/07/07/ea...y-dlc-release/

Legacy DLC will cost 800 bioware points. That doesn't follow steam's guidelines where they have to be able to sell everything associated with the game. Instead of bashing EA, ask Valve why they are the only ones who won't sell a game unless they can sell the dlc as well.

*ahem*

I guess that'll be going eventually.
Parlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #155
{Yotsuba}

Only if it gets NEW DLC. As I keep having to say, this new rule of Valve's is NOT being applied retroactively.

Can we please stop claiming this is because EA won't sell their DLC on Steam. BioShock 2, Dirt 3, Mass Effect 1&2, Mirror's Edge and loads of other games do not sell their DLC on Steam. It is also not because EA sell their DLC through the game (thus making a back-door from Steam to their own store) as GFWL does this.

Well we could, but then we'd be ignoring the truth. Also, see reply above as to why those old games are not being removed.

You know, M$ put out dlc's for Fable III on Steam, they even redirected in-game store to Steam from GFWL.

That's because they *had* to redirect to Steam. If they had been unable to do that, Fable 3 would have been pulled too.

Last edited by {Yotsuba}: 07-27-2011 at 01:40 AM.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #156
No1_Obaruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFox View Post
LOL. Removing games from Steam isn't going to cause a company to go bankrupt.
If all ppl would be proud members of the Hammer Legion (like me) they'd stop buying EA games, since they wouldn't be available at our favourite store called Steam anymore ....

Sad, since I own at least almost any EA Game at Steam (except for Sports titles nad the Sims) .... there goes one loyal customer, EA, keep screwin.
No1_Obaruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #157
Zamav

Honestly, I hope Valve continues this and removes any and all games that doesn't have their DLC here. At least this will introduce some standards and we won't have to create specific accounts for every publisher/developer and expose our payment information to them.

Lots of people are going to throw "Hammer Legion Member" over me for this, but honestly, couldn't care less.
Zamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #158
Anarchisteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post

Only if it gets NEW DLC. As I keep having to say, this new rule of Valve's is NOT being applied retroactively.
Please provide a link to the Dirt 3 DLC in Steam, this was released AFTER Crysis 2 was pulled for "not selling the DLC through Steam"
Anarchisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #159
{Yotsuba}

Please provide a link to the Dirt 3 DLC in Steam, this was released AFTER Crysis 2 was pulled for "not selling the DLC through Steam"

Please ask Valve why, if that is truly the case (I wouldn't know, GFWL here has NO Dirt 3 DLC available), why they didn't apply their new rules.

I expect the answer will be along the lines of "...this is a new thing we're doing going forwards and not being applied to older titles..." which is pretty much the answer they gave me, when I asked about GFWL DLC being sold on Steam.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #160
Anarchisteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post

Please ask Valve why, if that is truly the case (I wouldn't know, GFWL here has NO Dirt 3 DLC available), why they didn't apply their new rules.

I expect the answer will be along the lines of "...this is a new thing we're doing going forwards and not being applied to older titles..." which is pretty much the answer they gave me, when I asked about GFWL DLC being sold on Steam.
Oh, so it's only EA that have to offer their DLC through Steam? That sure sounds more likely than EA pulling their new games to get more customers for their new platform.

Last edited by Anarchisteve: 07-27-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Anarchisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #161
captain_video

I have a completely different theory: An EA lawyer had been hooking up with a Valve lawyer, and then they broke up.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #162
Cipher210

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I have a completely different theory: An EA lawyer had been hooking up with a Valve lawyer, and then they broke up.
She left the flowers and never turned back.
Cipher210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #163
Pikazul

Honestly I do not think Valve will totally prohibit the sale of DLCs outside Steam, they know that EA can afford to sell the games even without their store and they know that they will not be able to maintain their almost-monopoly on digital sales forever, it's hard to believe they would be so naive to try to force EA's hand.

Yes, there probably is a new policy about in-game DLCs, no I don't think it's mandatory.
To sell in-game DLC you probably just need to stipulate a new agreement as this is usually what a new policy requires, Codemasters did, EA did not so that they could "blamelessly" remove their games from Steam.

Last edited by Pikazul: 07-27-2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: EDIT: brain farted, added the encessary "do not"
Pikazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 AM   #164
samfisherand

Probably cos of the upcoming DLC for DA2, and DLC was the main reason why Crysis 2 was pulled anyway.
samfisherand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #165
Akiha

This is somewhat worrisome.

No, I don't particularly care about DA2, although I did buy it around $10 off Amazon -- an okay game at that price.

But overall. It seems odd to blame EA for this -- why'd they pull only few of the games and why'd they add keep adding NEW games to Steam if they intended to be on some kind of "screw Steam"-line. Alice was added to Steam after Crysis 2 was removed.

But you can't really "blame" Valve either if this indeed is their new policy regarding DLC. I hate buying this magic bioware money which in turn is used to buy the DLCs to their games. I'd rather directly pay the 5bux or whatever they are asking -- or even better, get it straight off Steam (but seriously, forcing EA to implement DLC purchasing mechanisms for multiple DD services seems very questionable -- unless the DD platforms would only sell CD keys that then are redeemed ingame).

But to flat out remove the game for having "out of Steam" DLC, bought with BW's fairy money? I can't agree with that. If it really is an issue, why not simply slap a big notice on the game page that the game has 3rd party DLC stuff included, let the customer decide if he wants to bother with it or not.

The way it seems to be going down between EA and Valve, only people "suffering"* are the customers.

*(ITT rich peoples problems; complaining where to spend their money on intangible entertainment product)

Last edited by Akiha: 07-27-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Akiha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion