Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
_LarZen_

Need a real answer about << Unauthorized Reseller >>

Im tired of reading wage statements about this site from mods on this forum, I want a clear answer if it is legal to buy game codes from this site and register it on the Steam acount.

So what is it? Is it legal or not?

EDIT: The page im refering to is << Unauthorized Reseller >>

Last edited by eram: 07-27-2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: not authorized
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
Akiha

Nothing illegal about it per se, just the chance of running into other problems, be it region locked (since they are selling CD-keys off of Russian/Polish etc retail boxes AFAIK), or a bad key.

It's a shady business overall, tho friends that have bought stuff from them haven't had problems.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
Deques

You can wonder where and how they obtained the keys in first place
Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
Europhoria

If you had to bypass the word filter, don't you think there is something wrong with it? Stay well clear.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
Fred DM

i doubt it's illegal since those websites don't sell stolen keys (at least i assume they aren't stolen...).

but the point is that they are selling licenses intended for low-wage countries to customers from high-wage countries. cheaper game prices are intended to allow gamers in low-wage countries to purchase legal licenses instead of having to resort to buying counterfeit/bootlegged games. they aren't intended to allow fat and rich Europeans and Americans, who can bloody well afford their local game prices, to buy games on the cheap.

AFAIK such keys have already been blocked on Steam, and frankly, i'd support that.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
_LarZen_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europhoria View Post
If you had to bypass the word filter, don't you think there is something wrong with it? Stay well clear.
Aye but then again it can just be that Steam is beeing a a** about it? I have no intention on buying anything from them if it is illegal or breaking the rules Steam have.

But so far there are only weak wague comments I have read from moderators not saying anyting solid. So cant we once and for all get a real statement about this case?

Either it is legal or it is not, and if it is not legal what rules are they breaking?

I hope I dont come out looking like a di*k about this, just want a real answer for once.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
cccino

Be aware:
- You won't have any proof of ownership if Steam every asks for it (eg to reactivate a disabled account)
- The keys are stripped from retail boxes, you don't know who has the box - box counts as proof of ownership re Steam support
- Key could be region restricted
- Key could be faulty / resold / cancelled on a whim by Steam
- Think about if this is the type of business you trust with your credit card details / personal details
Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
cccino

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LarZen_ View Post
Either it is legal or it is not, and if it is not legal what rules are they breaking?
It is legal, as in, I haven't heard any laws against it. Is it legal to buy region "x" DVDs in region "y"? I assume so?

But at the same time it is "unauthorised", as in, Steam doesn't like it and can cancel your ownership of the key (or even the whole account?) if they so choose, as per the subscriber agreement.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
_LarZen_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccino View Post
Be aware:
- You won't have any proof of ownership if Steam every asks for it (eg to reactivate a disabled account)
- The keys are stripped from retail boxes, you don't know who has the box - box counts as proof of ownership re Steam support
- Key could be region restricted
- Key could be faulty / resold / cancelled on a whim by Steam
- Think about if this is the type of business you trust with your credit card details / personal details
But what proog of ownership do I have on games allready bought from Steam? And if Steam asks for proof I have my game key as proof?

A picture of a game box can be photoshoped in 5min with the serial..

If key is region restricted it says so on the site, all the information needed is there before you buy?

On what ground can Steam cancel the Steeam acount? If it is not illegal to obtain a cd key from other places?

I would probably use a paypal account on a site like that, but I have no news that the site is a illegal or shady site by no one.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
cccino

Quote:
But what proog of ownership do I have on games allready bought from Steam? And if Steam asks for proof I have my game key as proof?
Credit card receipts, paypal receipts/records, photo of printed key on box with your support ticket number hand written over the key. Receipts from the unauthorized seller they will refuse.

Quote:
I don't know anything about that, if they can detect it.

Quote:
If key is region restricted it says so on the site, all the information needed is there before you buy?
I have heard of legitimate keys being revoked after the fact, but of course only anecdotes, no evidence.

Quote:
On what ground can Steam cancel the Steeam acount? If it is not illegal to obtain a cd key from other places?
On the grounds that they can pretty much do whatever they want to your account. I don't trust Steam very far at all.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
Deques

Quote:

I would probably use a paypal account on a site like that, but I have no news that the site is a illegal or shady site by no one.
when you buy from steam you'll get receipts from steam in your mail, and you also can see in your transaction history in your account information.

Photoshopping a picture is easy, but photoshopping a picture to be real and trustworthy is not.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #12
Fred DM

Quote:
if you've bought games on Steam then you've bought them directly from Valve, obviously. you wouldn't need extra proof for that.

Quote:
they aren't authorized sellers, thus there is no telling where they got their keys. in the eyes of Valve, there is no proof you've bought a legal key if you've bought it from such a place.

Quote:
it may not be illegal but it sure as hell is shady. if they offer games at a fraction of your local price on day one, is that not shady to you?

they are selling Ukrainian, Russian, Thai licenses to customers from Europe and America. Steam is regionally restricted, though, so this may very well go against the SSA.

publishers set different regional prices according to the cost of living and wage standard of different countries. Steam enforces that, and probably has to. i doubt any publisher would sell its games on Steam if you could just select the Thai version and pay a 1/10 of what the game would otherwise cost in your region.

Last edited by Fred DM: 07-27-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
Wolfpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred DM View Post
i doubt it's illegal since those websites don't sell stolen keys (at least i assume they aren't stolen...).
The Site mentioned in the first post has sold "stolen" keys once ( or better, they where bought with not valid methods and sold by them )........and if that is not enough, the owner ( or former owner ) is wanted by the police ( at least that is what i have heard somewhere else ).......which is maybe a reason that the store "moved" its location from poland to singapur
Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 AM   #14
Fred DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpig View Post
The Site mentioned in the first post has sold "stolen" keys once ( or better, they where bought with not valid methods and sold by them )........and if that is not enough, the owner ( or former owner ) is wanted by the police ( at least that is what i have heard somewhere else ).......which is maybe a reason that the store "moved" its location from poland to singapur
priceless. didn't know that but doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #15
H4wk

According to Valve's policy, it's illegal to sell retail game keys without the whole retail box.

/thread
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion