Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sims 3, The

Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
TheMerricat

Exclamation !! IMPORTANT !! - How to register Sims 3 with Origin!

I am shamelessly stealing this, because the information wasn't in a thread that you'd expect it to come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkinix View Post
Ok, EA really clustered on this one. Anyway, going through some forum threads on the official Sims 3 forums, I came across an obscure link location (I think it's the old way EA activated things).

http://help.thesims.com/app/answers/...ZllQVHYyQWs%3D

The first link on that thread goes to EA Activation. You put in your serial, email, and password and it activates to your account. Then the game shows up in Origin (might need to hit refresh games list).

Now actually getting the game to work with the steam version installed is another beast. I'm working on that right now and I'll post what I find. I may simply end up reinstalling the whole game through Origin. I mostly want to get this stuff squared away now as it is looking more and more likely that future Sims 3 products wont be released through Steam.

I hope that helps.
I have tried this, today. It works. And it still works even if you already registered everything on the main www.thesims3.com site.

Please remember however, Origin IS NOT LIKE STEAM. You don't get infinite downloads with them, their policy is for a full year right now. Maybe that will change in the future, but given how money grubbing EA is, I doubt it. So if you do go the route of registering your Steam Sims with them, remember to keep an extra copy of the installer somewhere, or you'll probably regret it.

Also, if you are planning on doing this, I suggest doing it quickly. Given every person I've seen who has gone the 'contact an official' route has gotten BS from their tech support about Steam using 'custom CD keys that can't be registered' and the current fight EA is picking with Steam, AND the fact that everything on that activation page is 'pre-Origin' and refers to the EA Download Manager, I suspect that this is a back door rather than meant to work this way. They will probably close it soon once they figure out it's working.

Good luck!

PS in case you don't want to read the article linked above or it's removed soon, here is the actual site:

https://activate.ea.com/
Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
slpc04

So I did the above, and does it mean if I purchase the town life from EA origin, it will work with steam?

Also do I have to redownload all the versions from origins again? I have steam version on all expansions except of course waiting for Town Life.

Thanks for your help !
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
TheMerricat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpc04 View Post
So I did the above, and does it mean if I purchase the town life from EA origin, it will work with steam?

Also do I have to redownload all the versions from origins again? I have steam version on all expansions except of course waiting for Town Life.

Thanks for your help !
Given EA is treating Steam customers like the mythical red-headed step children, I would expect it means that you'll have to install using Origin vs Steam to get anything for the Sims bought via Origin to work. However since I'm not going to give EA any more money and reward them for this behavior till they get their act together, I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on that experiment.
TheMerricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
melissa_lee85

is it necessary to register on EA even though we bought all the sims 3 pack off steam?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
TheMerricat

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa_lee85 View Post
is it necessary to register on EA even though we bought all the sims 3 pack off steam?
If none of the new content is released on Steam and you want it, yes. If the content is release on Steam or you don't want it, no.

The version of Sims that EA packaged for Steam has a slightly different file structure and different version numbers from the 'regular' game, so it's unlikely that you'll ever get the Steam version to work directly with purchased content that wasn't from Steam.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
verkinix

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa_lee85 View Post
Unfortunately, this is the way I would advise doing it. I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday attempting to "merge" Town Life (from Amazon) with my Steam version of everything else. While I think I was close to getting something working, I am pretty confident, that not everything would be working correctly in game and the process even get to where I got would be a daunting task to even the tech savvy gamers.

The link TheMerricat and I posted works well for activating on Origin, at least for now. It's difficult to tell what EA is going to do by the time Pets rolls out. I preordered it from Amazon and hope that I wont have any troubles.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies things. EA seems to really not want to work with Steam and their products are definitely showing this discontent with Steam. At least there are still dozens of other outlets to get the same products and EA will still register them on their client. Might as well use up their bandwidth and still purchase elsewhere. I'm still planning on getting the majority of my games through Steam.
verkinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
smjjames

I was able to skip step two on the link above since the downloads showed up in Origins without having to do that step, but I went end registered there anyways just to be on the safe side.
smjjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Redboy

I want full Sims 3 game on Steam. EA will delete your game if without touch game for long time...what an awful policy...

ps) I bought all sims 3 thru Steam and I actually back up redeem to EA Origin because I'm afraid of EA abandoned here Steam...Sims 3 is very fussy with update that why...

Last edited by Redboy: 07-31-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
oldbrokenlink

i made mistake of registering on thesims.com first and not it does not work on origins...

i chatted ea's sim support and they were no help...

i guess i'm toast until they resolve their issue
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
TheMerricat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrokenlink View Post
i made mistake of registering on thesims.com first and not it does not work on origins...

Registering with thesims.com does not prevent you from registering the game with Origin. Read the first post over again and follow the link I provided in it.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
oldbrokenlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerricat View Post
Registering with thesims.com does not prevent you from registering the game with Origin. Read the first post over again and follow the link I provided in it.
i did and this is what it says
Quote:
There is currently an issue preventing The Sims 3 codes from being redeemed within Origin, but it is still possible to use your code and gain access to your game. Do NOT register a game on www.thesims3.com under the "register a game" option, this will NOT provide you with a digital download in Origin and you will need a new code. Instead, please carefully follow the directions below ,

ok i followed the link

it sort of worked

now i see it in originals

i found out my problem

i registered the game using the wrong email account

so now i have by mistake 2 origin accounts

and there is no way to transfer a game or consolidate accounts

oh well...

the thing is i setup ea account many years ago, old email address... and they have no way to change things ouch...

but thanks for excellent support and thanks for steam for this forum and for affordable games...

Last edited by oldbrokenlink: 08-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Redboy

Quote:

Wait few hours u will able activate on EA and your origin will show up with your new game.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
Redboy

Quote:
the thing is i setup ea account many years ago, old email address... and they have no way to change things ouch...

but thanks for excellent support and thanks for steam for this forum and for affordable games...
Not easy but can be change email I've done few years ago maybe now change system ?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
oldbrokenlink

well everything worked at the end

i'm now good to go

!!!!!my sims 3 is showing up in origins!!!!!

i would sincerely like to thanks all the folks that helped me +++++ reputation!!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
uno_king

Bumping up this thread. The procedure linked to worked great for registering Town Stuff.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sims 3, The