Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
AlienHuntinYeti

Don't get it. Just don't do it.

HAY SOME GUY FIGURED IT OUT:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...2#post23993782(sorry, posted a broken link. It's fixd now. This should probably get stickied)

Problem- Crashes on start up.
Answer- don't ask me why this works.. but it really did for me. go into your steam folder. C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines\Bin copy everything in the "bin" folder, then paste it in the "vampire the masquerasde - bloodlines" folder.
This applies to people who have troubles with it crashing directly after the Troika logo also.

Thanks YukoValis! Uh. Also sorry guys! Disregard my rant if you were looking for a review or something. I can't believe I wasted all that time on something so simple...

It's *highly (*EDIT:FAIRLY. Is that better for you?)unlikely this game will work on your machine. I REALLY want to play it something fierce, I bought it a year or so back for the full $20. I've tried for HOURS to try and get it to work, but it consistently crashes after the Troika logo. I've never even got to see the menu screen . From what I hear about it, it's an amazing game. I just wish it would actually work.

There will never be support for it, as the devs sadly went under very shortly after this game's release (although there's a dedicated user base making patches for it even today, I still have yet to see it fixed for me). If you're really thinking about getting it, I HIGHLY recommend looking at forums or something to see if your machine even has the CHANCE for it to work. Even if you think it will, there will probably be about ***a 50/50 chance (***F*** YOU GUYS: a decent chance) you've wasted your money.

ED: I should post that I'm using Vista 32, 3 gigs of ram (I think the amount of RAM may be too much? Not sure) and a 2.3 quad core processor. My computers a couple years old, but I think it's still too new for it to work for me.

Also, you're a p****r kahleeb, it's not like I'm attacking Vampires, if I was I wouldn't have paid full price for it. Just trying to help people avoid the major amounts of frustration I went through trying to get it to work. But it's ok, I still love you.

ED 2: I'm surprised to see it runs for Windows 7. I'm really starting to think it's because I have a quad core. Anyone get it to work for their quad core?

Oh, while I'm at it, I'll repeat that it consistently crashes directly after Troika logo. Screen goes black for a second like it probably should and then BAM. Back to desktop with no error message or anything. I've scoured the internets and I've only seen one other guy have the exact same problem (which was kinda hard to find) and absolutely no one even bothered to give him advice if memory serves correctly.

ONE MORE EDIT: Whelp, apparently it's not because of my quad core either. There HAS to be someone who had my Troika logo problem. That's the only thing I can think of that's different from what others have posted. OH I should have mentioned my graphics card too derp. I got a NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500 GT. Does that help?

*EDIT: Jesus people. Give me a break. I'm far from the only person having this problem (maybe there's only a few with my SPECIFIC problem, but there's plenty more who can't get it to work). I've spent $20 and hours of my life trying to get this game to work, and most of you guys are unhelpful bastards. Sure you can all post how it's working for you, but do you think everyone who can't get it to work is gonna spend all their time looking through forums just to find someone else having problems to agree with? I never said the game was bad, I have no idea if it's good or bad or not since I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK. Yes I really can't get it to work, I'm not just trying to troll. If I was would I REALLY spend all this time posting specs and whatnot in a last ditch effort to try and enjoy the game I bought? I REALLY REALLY want this game to work for me, I've heard such good things about it and I like Troika. But it's not worth the frustration of trying to figure out what's wrong with this thing (or deal with overreacting goons who have to bash someone having troubles with their game). If you think I'm being harsh, why don't you go out and spend $20 on a game and try getting it to work for a few hours and see how you feel about it.

On second thought... maybe I did overreact up there with this latest edit a little bit (but I'm posting it anyways cuz it's my true feelings), so I apologize to everyone who isn't Bobafett. (also, that's the suckiest star wars character. NYAAAA.) But dammit, this has been an exercise of frustration. It was totally a waste of money and time for me, so I need to vent a bit. How about trying to see it from my perspective? So I picked a harsh thread title, it got views. And if the community was actually as helpful as the people that make the patches for this game, those views should have had more suggestions than running it in compatibility mode (not to bash the guy that posted that. At least he tried to help). Oh.. and thanks to the people who confirmed some of the stuff below too**.

So... does anyone have a helpful suggestion? To recap:
(**This stuff)Apparently it's not my quad core.
It's not my 3 gigs of ram either.
I doubt it's because of my Vista 32. Also, people can run it in Windows 7 64 bit, which surprised me.

But...
I have no word on whether or not my graphics card is affecting it. Again, it's a NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500 GT

Also, my game consistently crashes to desktop directly after the Troika logo fades away, with no error message whatsoever. A black screen for a second after the logo(which I assume is normal, most games have that) then the window just closes and that is that. I haven't seen too many people report this PARTICULAR problem(most people mention an error message and almost no one mentions it happening after Troika logo)... so if it's happening to you (and you've tried the community patches), you're probably in the same boat as I am.

Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, if you have any ideas post them. We don't need more people confirming it works (seriously you guys. I'm sure there's thousands [hell, maybe even an even mil] who can get it to work. If not, would anyone even MENTION this game?). But... if you feel like you NEED to say it works, how about at least posting your specs so people can get a better understanding if this game will work for THEM, you jackasses? (Obviously that's not aimed at the people who did post their specs, but when a forum is this sensitive, you can't be too careful.)

NOTHER MUTHAFECKIN EDIT: Oh while were at it, is there a convenient list of the different patches being made by people out there? I tried the patches scroll one last night again, that didn't work. I think I'll reinstall it and try some of the others(if there's more than 2 that is).

ONE EDIT TO RULE THEM ALL: Alright, I'm about to try this one more time. I'm going to use Wesp's helpful suggestions and pray that it works. If anyone else is having trouble you might want to try this too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesp5 View Post
Have you tried the following:

On crashes append -dxlevel 80(90) -window(fullscreen) to shortcut.
If multi cores cause problems set process priority low or -32bit.
On crashes try setting "mat_compressedtextures" "1" in config.cfg.
On start crashes copy all dlls from the bin into the main folder.
If game stops with "vampire.exe stopped working" try a nocd crack.
Disable visual themes or desktop composition if Windows 7 crashes.
WHARRGARBLEFRACKINGRAAAR: Yep. None of that worked either. Also, "mat_compressedtextures" was already set to 1 by default for me. This is no longer worth my time in any way shape or form. I've easily spent around a good 3-5 hours total screwing with this to absolutely no avail. Screw this buggy game.
I'll probably try it one more time sometime down the line once I get around to upgrading to Windows 7. Surprisingly, it seems like there's a much better chance for it to work on the newer OS. If it doesn't work then... I just don't know. Obviously I want to play this game something fierce or I wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to get it to work... but it can't possibly be worth all of this trouble. If I actually DO get it to work someday, it better be the best damn game ever made. Otherwise all this wasted time is really gonna sour my experience.

***F**K YOU GUYS:Uggh. There's STILL people b*tching about this? Just because YOU can get it to work with ease, doesn't mean EVERYONE is having the same experience. Did I say the game sucks? NO. Did I insult the company that made it? NO. I've tried the god damn True Gold Patch, the Unofficial Patch and numerous other fixes (some of which I even listed above to be, you know, HELPFUL). If you guys actually took the time to read s**t instead of thinking that I'm trying to attack this game, you wouldn't make the community look like a bunch of god damn f**ktards. This obviously isn't directed to the people that were trying to help and the people who were confirming it works for them (which thankfully were much more numerous than the idiots. Though many of you confirming it works STILL didn't bother to post your system specifications, which is a little ignorant in itself). This is for those tards that don't have any sort of reading comprehension (like, ZERO READING SKILLS. I mentioned the community patches in THE SECOND PARAGRAPH for chrissakes) who thinks that anyone who says they can't get the game to work is either attacking it or hasn't tried anything to fix it. B*tch moar. (so what if I'm being hypocritical, you guys are f**king impossible)

Last edited by AlienHuntinYeti: 08-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
kahleeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHuntinYeti View Post
It's highly unlikely this game will work on your machine. I REALLY want to play it something fierce, I bought it a year or so back for the full $20. I've tried for HOURS to try and get it to work, but it consistently crashes after the Troika logo. I've never even got to see the menu screen . From what I hear about it, it's an amazing game. I just wish it would actually work.

There will never be support for it, as the devs sadly went under very shortly after this game's release (although there's a dedicated user base making patches for it even today, I still have yet to see it fixed for me). If you're really thinking about getting it, I HIGHLY recommend looking at forums or something to see if your machine even has the CHANCE for it to work. Even if you think it will, there will probably be about a 50/50 chance you've wasted your money.
Been playing this game on Windows 7 64 Bit with the latest UP with no issues. Bought it for 5 bucks on another site a few years back.

Definitely recommend buying this and to ignore this person.
kahleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
SpudAlmighty

patched it up and works fine on my pc bub.
SpudAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Rapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahleeb View Post
Definitely recommend buying this and to ignore this person.
Agreed. The game is great. I strongly suggest to use unofficial patch. You can get newest unofficial patch here: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php
Rapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Krovvy

I'm using an ancient PC (Dell circa 2002) and it runs well enough.
Krovvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Larry1212

Worked fine for me on my Core 2 Duo, 2Gb, 8600M GT, 32bit Vista laptop and my i5-750, 4Gb, 5770 1Gb, Win7 64bit PC...
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Baron Of Hell

The first time I played this game was on vista 32 with a unofficial patch. The game worked perfectly. I haven't haven't tried it on win 7 64 which I'm currently sporting.
Baron Of Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
kahleeb

Quote:
ED: I should post that I'm using Vista 32, 3 gigs of ram (I think the amount of RAM may be too much? Not sure) and a 2.3 quad core processor. My computers a couple years old, but I think it's still too new for it to work for me.

Also, you're a p****r kahleeb, it's not like I'm attacking Vampires, if I was I wouldn't have paid full price for it. Just trying to help people avoid the major amounts of frustration I went through trying to get it to work. But it's ok, I still love you.
Running an i7 Proc, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon 5850, Win 7 64 bit, and the latest UP. No issues except for the loading screens being blank. (Just click through and the main menu and rest of game loads up fine.)

I think if you are having issues it is probably due to Vista. Probably should think about moving up to Win 7. Also, there seems to be a lot of support out here and other places. If you are having issues, post and I am sure the community can get you or anyone else up and running.

There is a lot of love for this franchise.
kahleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
AlienHuntinYeti

Bumpy Dump

So... quad core? Anyone? Troika logo with no error message? Eh?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Stormseye

Quote:
So... quad core? Anyone? Troika logo with no error message? Eh?
I'm running it on a quad core laptop, windows 7, using the 7.6 patch, and it works perfectly. Without the patch, it was a no go, but with the patch, it's fine.
Stormseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Larry1212

My i5-750 is a quad core. Runs fine.

Tried running it in compatibility mode(STEAM Library -> Right click VTMB -> Create Desktop Shortcut -> Right Click VTMB shortcut -> Properties -> Run in Compatibility mode -> Try each and see if it works for you)?
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
AlienHuntinYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1212 View Post
Tried running it in compatibility mode(STEAM Library -> Right click VTMB -> Create Desktop Shortcut -> Right Click VTMB shortcut -> Properties -> Run in Compatibility mode -> Try each and see if it works for you)?
I've ran the crap out of it in compatibility mode. I've used a few different suggestions that I've heard, and when those didn't work I pretty much tried every combination of the modes that I could think of. Also I've tried the patches and the resolution mod.

Last edited by AlienHuntinYeti: 07-28-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
SilentLegend

It works for me. The beginning developer logos don't show up, but the rest works fine.
SilentLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
AlienHuntinYeti

*sigh*

Well, I'm about to go to bed. Please post suggestions if you guys still have them. Man, if it wasn't for all the good things I've heard about this game and the fact that Troika is a pretty awesome company from what I've played (aside from all the damn buggyness that seems to accompany every one of their releases) I swear this wouldn't be worth a quarter of the time I've wasted trying to get this to work.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
gwailo247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLegend View Post
It works for me. The beginning developer logos don't show up, but the rest works fine.
Yeah, same here. When I ran it the first time without the patch, it wouldn't run, said something about not having enough memory.

I installed the 7.6b patch and while none of the logos appear at the start, the menu does eventually appear, and the game runs fine. Have been playing it for a few hours now. Win 7 x64.

This is definitely worth picking up for 5 bucks.
gwailo247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines