Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
DarkByke

How To: What you need to know to get this game running [Win7 x64]

Many users are having issues getting this game to run so I thought it'd be easier to make one single thread with the common error(s). It seems most people are running the game using Win7 x64 version (and therefore this guide is tailored to x64).

Someone has created a very helpful tutorial video, linked here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtFLT8MPxzM

Please keep in mind that patches become outdated with time, so version numbers might not always be the same, but always use the latest (and most up-to-date) number available.

Now let's begin

Error: Unable to run, less that 15mb memory available
  • Step 1:
    Install game using Steam.
    Start the unpatched game once, so it will fetch any additional Steam-files and initialize itself.
    Close game.

Now, you have two options for choice in patches. This is your decision, depending on game preferences. You can choose either:

True Patch Gold Edition (TPG) [Vanilla Game + Bug Fixes]
    link to download --- http://www.tessmage.com ***18+ WARNING!!!*** (NSFW)
    OR
    Unofficial Patch by Wesp5 [Vanilla Game + PLUS Upgrade + Bug Fixes + Various Extra Content/Quests]
    The default basic patch fixes multiple bugs and restores only little
    unused content that has no impact on gameplay. The optional plus (+)
    patch adds further improvements and restored content
    link to download --- http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647

Follow applicable install instructions if provided within patch or on those websites.

Leave both "Steam Community In Game" & "Automatic Update" for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines disabled, there won't be any new updates anyway.

Step 2: Install to your steam directory. Typically "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines".

OR

If you choose to install to a different directory, you can always copy the files over into the steam directory afterwards. Do this for Bin + Vampire folders and overwrite.

Step 3: Right click vampire.exe and change properties to run as admin, run in compatibility for Windows XP SP3, and also make sure to check the boxes "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition"

Step 4: If using widescreen, use the widescreen resolution tool of the Unofficial Patch, called ResPatcher, is in the Extras directory, use it to set the resolution to what you like!
    - Credit Wesp5
    EDIT: Make sure you give ResPatch.exe ADMIN rights, so it'll re-write some files - i.e. "engine.dll."

OR

If using True Patch Gold Edition (TPG) consult with instructions provided or inquire on their forums about Widescreen/Resolution support.

Step 5: Launch game and enjoy!

Error: Failed to find Steam
  • Step 1: You MUST run Steam as an administrator AND set the Vampire.exe to run as an admin as well. You should also be launching the game from Steam.
    - Credit Cpt.Calavera
    EDIT: Always restart Steam after setting to Admin... some users aren't doing this.

Also, a solution posted here if all else fails: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1&postcount=31

OR

For any game on Steam:

If you ever get the error message "failed to find Steam", it just means the downloaded game is missing the application file used to tie it with Steam.

Just go to the main Steam folder, copy Steam.dll, and then paste it into whatever game you wanted to run that had the error message.

That's it. No compatability modes, fan patches or anything like that. It's just missing the Steam.dll folder.
    - Credit EvilTaffyapple

Error: Black intro screen with sound - no logos
  • Step 1: Right click on vampire.exe, go to "properties" and flag these two boxes:
    "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition"
    - Credit KSMF

Error: Steam cries at me for patching this!!
  • Step 1: In your Games list, right-click on VTM: Bloodlines then left click Properties. Un-check "Enable Steam in-game community" so it becomes disabled. Click on Updates tab. Change box to "Do not automatically update this game." Apply the changes.

Step 2: I'd guess you want to do this BEFORE you install any unofficial patch or any other mod, so Steam doesn't revert things back to Patch 1.2 on you.
    - Credit TheMysterD

Error: I'm missing textures!
  • Step 1: Make sure "Bump Mapping" is checked ON in the game settings. Also, doesn't hurt to restart the game, I know I had missing textures (they appeared as a pink/black chessboard) and I restarted the game with bump mapping on and they restored properly.

Bump mapping OFF:
    Picture 2

Still Having Troubles?
  • Bug Reporting:
    When VtMB crashes, there's a crash log put in the main folder. For example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines\crash(9-15-2013 13.30.00).log

If you are still experiencing a crash after following the guides in this discussion, please "Start a new discussion", then copy and paste the first few sections (everything above ---[ ModuleList ] ---), we can use this to identify exactly why you crash.

A common source of crashing is modified audio files. For example, Windows Media Player can modify the mp3 tags for this game's audio, just by playing them in WMP. This will cause crashing when the game tries to load the modified MP3; for example, if you listen to one of the Prince's lines in WMP, and then you start the game and go talk to him, the game will crash when it loads that line. This crash is usually diagnosed by something about MP3 in the ScopeTrace section of the crash dump.
    - Credit AJ

----------------------------------------------
If you have other issues, or anything you'd like to add to the guide that isn't already in here... please post them in this thread. This is simply what I did to get my game running after having the 15mb error. Could be different on other PC's therefore we have this guide put together. Make sure all your video drivers are up-to-date.

Thanks for reading, and if you liked this, a little rep would be appreciated
Cheers!
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by DarkByke: 03-04-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Apt. 2B

I installed the patch to D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines

There is only one bin and one vampire folder - does this mean I can skip step 2?
Apt. 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
brotherswanson

Vote sticky.

By the way, is there a certifiable way to make steam not cry at me for patching this?
brotherswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
TheMysterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherswanson View Post
Vote sticky.

By the way, is there a certifiable way to make steam not cry at me for patching this?
I don't have the Steam version [I bought it at retail years ago], but there should be a way around it.
I think people have said before to disable Auto-update on that particular game.

In your Games list, right-click on VTM: Bloodlines.
Left-click on Properties.
Un-check box for "Enable Steam in-game community" so it becomes disabled.
Click on Updates tab.
Change box to "Do not automatically update this game."
Apply the changes.

I'd guess you want to do this BEFORE you install the Wesp unofficial patch or any other mod, so Steam doesn't revert things back to Patch 1.2 on you.

Last edited by TheMysterD: 07-29-2011 at 03:28 PM.
TheMysterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
geronimo789

Epic bump that is necessary and accompanied by rep
geronimo789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Yoshemo

Did all that and it still says "can't find steam"
Yoshemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Lugard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshemo View Post
Did all that and it still says "can't find steam"
Same problem, reinstalling now, I am going to try to start the game before I apply the unofficial patch, perhaps that will work.
Lugard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
geronimo789

Seems like both steam AND the game need to be run under the same user, or else that error occurs. Solution: don't run the game as admin (I don't rly see any reason to unless something doesn't work) or run steam as admin.
geronimo789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Cpt.Calavera

I've tried everything and it keeps saying "Failed to find Steam".

Game worked perfectly in vanilla, now after patch 7.6b I get this.
Cpt.Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
TheMysterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Calavera View Post
I've tried everything and it keeps saying "Failed to find Steam".

Game worked perfectly in vanilla, now after patch 7.6b I get this.
Hmmmm....
Did you disable auto-updater and in-game Steam community for VTMBL actually BEFORE installing Patch 7.6B?

Last edited by TheMysterD: 07-29-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
NewtypeX

I'm getting "FAILED TO FIND STEAM" as well. I followed all of these steps multiple times. Now I'm trying to validate steam files and it says "135 files failed to validate and will be reacquired." lol

This sucks...you need a computer from 2004 to play this, apparently.
NewtypeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
serialbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMysterD View Post
Hmmmm....
Did you disable auto-updater and in-game Steam community for VTMBL actually BEFORE installing Patch 7.6B?
What happens if you didn't? What could you do to make it work?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
TheMysterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialbear View Post
What happens if you didn't?
If you leave the auto-update and in-game community on for VTMBL, Steam will probably look at your files, notice they ain't patched to Official Patch 1.2, and revert some of them backwards.

Remember - Patch 1.2 is the last patch Steam knows.

Quote:
What could you do to make it work?
What one guy did was this.

Basically, what he did was re-installed the patch - but into another directory he decided on.

He then copied those files right into the
"...Program files\Steam\Steamapps\Vampire the masquerade - bloodlines" directory.

Last edited by TheMysterD: 07-29-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
serialbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtypeX View Post
I'm getting "FAILED TO FIND STEAM" as well. I followed all of these steps multiple times. Now I'm trying to validate steam files and it says "135 files failed to validate and will be reacquired." lol

This sucks...you need a computer from 2004 to play this, apparently.
I got this error message as well after following all the directions...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
NewtypeX

Well, uninstalling the game and have to re-download 2.8GB again. Argh!

This time, I'm going to disable steam client update before I even touch the patch. If it doesn't work, I give up on this patch.
NewtypeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines