Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chantelise

Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
itworkedforme

glad the game isnt dubbed.. THANKS

title says it all
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Kurbster

Recettear wasn't, either

The developers know the preferences of their audience....dubbed audio is ear- to any decent anime fan
Kurbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
jgtg32a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbster View Post
Recettear wasn't, either

The developers know the preferences of their audience....dubbed audio is ear- to any decent anime fan
Bebop
jgtg32a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Zelos

Eh dubbed is fine as long as they actually get decent voiceactors .... which is next to never

Tho even if they dubb something there is no reason not to leave the original audio track in as an option.

Anyhow they didn't dubb it and that's fine, I just thought I would chime in as someone who isn't dubbaphobic.
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
ct2651

Actually, I find only one good dubbing or two in anime or japanese or korea movie.

it was in death note and speed grapher.
but all the other was purely miss...

The biggest problem are actually the little girl voice sound too acute. I know it's a child, but, I never ear a voice like that.
ct2651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Kurbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtg32a View Post
Bebop
Correction: anything without Steve Blum in it sucks
Kurbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
c46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbster View Post
Recettear wasn't, either

Golden Boy. If you say the non dubbed version is better you're trolling.
c46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
Zetta Hoff

Ya, I hate dubs. English voice actors are pure garbage. They have absolutely no talent and they never sound believable. The emotion is always way wrong.
Zetta Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Miraglyth

It's funny how, after a million occurrences of this discussion, the dissidents rarely bother to post at all now. They know it'll do little but spark a torrent of "Japanese therefore automatically better!!"

I tend not to care, but surely good English vocals trump good Japanese vocals by virtue of being understandable. And irritating vocals are irritating regardless of language. Relevant example, Recette whenever an adventurer gets hit a few times in quick succession. For the last time, that is their natural hair color!
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
SamuraiCaveman

Shows like Cowboy Bebop and Golden Boy feature adults.
Chantelise and Recettear feature cute girls. Cute girls sound horrible in english dubs. Fact.
SamuraiCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
everydaygamer

i just figured the guys who brought these games over couldn't afford to dub them.
everydaygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Jungle_Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
i just figured the guys who brought these games over couldn't afford to dub them.
Maybe. But a lot of stuff that gets dubbed could only afford the worst of voice actors, so they shouldn't have bothered. Carpe Fulgur at least had the sense to not do that.
Jungle_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
c46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiCaveman View Post
Shows like Cowboy Bebop and Golden Boy feature adults.
Chantelise and Recettear feature cute girls. Cute girls sound horrible in english dubs. Fact.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2a_HkdowaY

HOW DOES THAT NOT SOUND GODLIKE?! /sarcasm
c46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
tech7

Carpe fulgurs statement about a Recettear dub, I assume the same is true for Chantelise.
Quote:
- Will it mean Recettear gets an English voice option? Maybe. This one is actually a bit annoying because, due to how the chips have come down, we are literally right on the line money-wise I’d set for us months ago between being comfortable with doing an English voice set for the game and not. The big trick is that we need to be able to throw at least $10,000-15,000 to really do it with the quality I’d want any English voicework to be. This is very much a “we either do it really well or we don’t do it at all” deal; I’ve seen enough feedback about janky English VO over the years to know that it can really ding a publisher’s reputation, so I’m determined to do English VO right if we do it at all. And that, dear readers, means that we need to be able to throw around $15,000 (or more, even) and not have it really affect the future of the company at all… and if I’m being remotely honest with myself, we aren’t there yet.

Now, an upshot to an English voice patch (which would probably include some miscellaneous improvements and whatnot to the game) would be that we could probably do one last promotion for the game with our various distributors and whatnot, which would likely drum up a bit more money… although at this point I’m very worried about us reaching our market cap. (That’s probably a blog post all its own, however.)

And just to head off the inevitable question: if we do English voice, it would complement the Japanese VO already in the game, it would not replace the existing VO. There’s basically no reason we can’t do dual-voice on the PC, so if we move forward with this, we’d do it right.
tech7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Skeledon

what?

I've always enjoyed dubbed over subbed simply because I can replay it in my head later on when thinking about the show or game. I would have trouble replaying a phrase i didn't understand.

One question to the subbed fans, are you native English speakers?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chantelise