Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dino D-Day

Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
KarlMonster

Constructive Criticisms (...others need not apply)

1) Server optimization - or server region restrictions

Every game I tried to play was lagging worse than EVE:Online on really bad days. It took 30 seconds to aim my primary weapon, and longer to reload. I realize that with the free Steam weekend, I'm in the same game with players from all over the world, and that's not helping.

2) Night maps/dark rooms & corners

Was that supposed to be a night map? I sure couldn't see anything, so I didn't much enjoy being instantly killed by whatever it was. I get that your game is rendered to look generally like the sepia of newsreels. However, those dark areas are bad news for game balancing. One camping artillery dinos can ruin my entire game.

Edit: I've played other games, where sometimes a map just displayed strangely for me. Dark light night-time though it shouldn't have been a dark map. Was this one a bug? I don't know now, and I may never know.

3) T-rex can't eat his knockdown victims?

I sure tried, but I couldn't do it. Right-clicked my * off. Somebody accused me of griefing as a T-rex with the knockdown bellow, when I was out of ammo. Since the player is still alive (because I sure couldn't eat him) I can't imagine what he meant by that.

4) T-rex cannot get back into spawn to heal/re-equip

I won't even pretend that I understand this. I was a T-rex doing alright, but with 1/2 health, no medics in sight, and no ammo. I know there's a sticky on how to play medic - cause I wrote it! But I sure couldn't find any ammo. If a T-Rex can survive the stroll back to spawn, he should be allowed to get in.

5) One team member should be able to re-supply ammunition - or make the ammo pickups bigger/better contrast

When you spawn, you go to the fight - right? Well, if the dino gets to the fight, and does his bit, he uses his ammo and then what? Goes back to spawn? I know that there are ammo pickups on the map somewhere, but they're so small I can't tell what they are supposed to be. The same for Medics - nothing to do but go all the way back to spawn. This is particularly annoying because of #7 below.

6) Sniper rifles have magnification is too strong for the small maps

This leads to a bigger problem. On a laggy server, you can't hit anything. Magnification should be reduced - or (and this is probably the better idea) have the magnification scale with the map. Though, this issue is probably related more to:

7) Gameplay. Give the players a reason to be some place on the map OTHER than the Allies' spawn.

A control point. A cafe with free beer. A cabaret. Chest high walls. Anything. Even a cake. (it hurt to say that) Especially on the T-Rex maps where 90% of the game is fought just outside of allied spawn. Somebody went and designed these beautiful maps, and we only fight in 20% of them.

8) Please add an option to "hold button to aim" in addition to the current toggle

9) Reduce Human characters jumping abilities

I've only seen a few games where this was not a noticeable problem for gameplay. Interestingly, one of them is WARINC: Battlezone where players can move shockingly fast...

10) OK, just a suggestion - allow the humans and smaller dinosaurs to jump through windows

Actually, I never played the raptors, I just thought thatit would be cool if Trigger etc could do it.

I like the dinosaur schtick - even if the game is otherwise a TF2 clone. Good luck with your development!

Last edited by KarlMonster: 07-30-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Murtle52

Banned
Rep for this post,

if they fix the bugs and imbalancing issues as well as the excellent suggestions you've made, they might actually have a game here.

O.P and people like him should be commended for excellent suggestions to developers.

this is what these forums are for!
Murtle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
KarlMonster

Gawrsh....

I believe that F2P is a wonderful thing.
Small developers (hopefully with new ideas!) get a business model with low barrier to player entry.
Players get new games to try out - if they can manage to not be jarate-hats long enough.

And big publishers get left out while they re-think their business model of chest-high walls.
KarlMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
Muti Messiah

Not bad list although a few i differ on opinion

4) I Say no on that one, while ive dropped plenty T-Rex's they are kinda OP atm esp when you have 2 running around it makes it far too difficult for allys a lot of the time, and would just make it frustrating to chip away at an overpowered T-Rex's health just to have it refill its health. Ammo however I agree the T-Rex should be able to resupply on that.

5) A supplies class of some sort for both sides could be interesting

6) adjustable zoom would be better imo like 3 levels of zoom maybe?

7) cant seem to be helped with as kinda overpowered as a T-Rex or 2 is its not exactly easy to get out of your spawn when you have 2 T-Rex's at both sides killing ya in a second or 2 every time you leave the spawn area

8) Dear god yes that would be awesome

10) Raptors can fit through some windows Ive done it but given there the smallest that should have been how it is, humans could work but id say no more than that
Muti Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
TheDenogginizer

My biggest gripes are that you can't fire while holding zoom/alt, can't jump out of windows, and it's just dod with dinosaurs.

Also it seems like axis has the advantage in most maps with more dinosaurs available to them. The allied classes don't really offer anything different.

And of course the latency issue was a real problem. I only found one actual server that had playable latency. Every other one was terrible, and to make matters worse the ping latency of the server browser didn't match the actual latency inside the game.
TheDenogginizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Dino Killer

Okay nice game play idea keep up the work!

But why does Axis have most/all the Dino's including T-rex? The Tyrannosaurus rex fossil have been found in the USA (in Montana, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming), Canada (Alberta and Saskatchewan), and east Asia (Mongolia).

But more importantly are the following issues which should get some DEV attention.
- Finding servers.
I tried about every filter option but still it takes a long period before the game locate game servers. It does not really matter if I use filters or not. Even with every option on <All> it takes a long time before any server is found. (ps I do have good connection speed and pc, playing mmorpg's and such without issues)

- Ammount of servers found.
I live in EU and search for EU servers of course. Who wants huge latency in online games? But even in this free weekend sometimes only 2 servers where found.

- Connecting with servers.
Okay now 4 servers found so lets choose one of the [DDD EUROPE] servers and connect. Here is where I keep my fingers crossed. Often unable to connect due to a reason which is covered by the 'Server' tab. Game not responding and have to end the process manually. This happens a lot btw.

- Lag during gameplay.
Okay was able to connect and played some games. During one of these games it was like I was playing in a slideshow ROFL. It was really unplayable so horrible was the lag. Looking at the ping I didn't notice really huge pings from other players. Some had 300+ okay but that shouldn't give these amount of lags.

- Game balancing.
Other players also mentioned this issue. 2x T-rex = OP
Allied is getting spawn rapped in some maps because there is no reason for Axis to be anywhere else in some maps. Multiple spawn points for Allied of both could be an idea. Other game balancing issues I haven't encountered yet because I can give an honest judgement with the lag issues the EU servers (or I) seem to have.

Last edited by Dino Killer: 07-31-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Zolgar

Axis have dinos because Axis are actually Natsis (spelled wrong intentionally), who in WWII were actually known for experimentation in the realms of 'psuedoscience', trying to find new, better weapons.

As such, it is fitting that they would be the ones to develop the technology to revive, control and weaponize dinosaurs.

I'm more in agreement with those who put forth the idea of something -other- than dinos to allow Allies to combat the Axis dinos.
Zolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
c_b_fofep

Very useful thread everyone, thanks for taking the time to post! These are all great notes that will certainly be factored into coming patches.
c_b_fofep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Odyssey1319

I like this thread. Here are my suggestions:
  1. First and foremost, change the server browser so that it searches from lowest to highest latency by default. That way, there will be less foreign players clogging up servers and causing lag.
  2. Optimize the netcode so that people with high latency don't lag everyone else, or add a ping limit to servers.
  3. Add the ability to re-bind the key to access the developer console.
  4. Add a hotkey that automatically throws grenades.
  5. There should be more places to re-stock on ammo on every map. Running back to the spawn point whenever you need ammunition is tedious, and the T-Rex being unable to reload its weapons is extremely annoying.
  6. Multiple people standing on the point in King of the Hill should allow the point to be captured faster.
  7. Make it so scrolling down on the last weapon cycles back to the first.
  8. Allow firing while holding down mouse 2.
  9. Increase the default mouse sensitivity.
  10. Change the Velociraptor's pounce so that it's easier to perform. As-is, it's a pain to figure out and even more of a pain to try and land it reliably at medium range.
  11. Make eating other players with the T-Rex easier to execute. Try as I might, right-clicking isn't working.
  12. Give the players less incentive to spawn camp.
  13. Make T-Rex kills count for 5 instead of 3.
  14. Increase the effectiveness of explosive weapons on the T-Rex, whether this be through an increase in damage or a new stumbling effect that temporarily stuns it.
  15. Some of the Allies' weapons need to be looked at. They're already at a disadvantage. Nigel's shotgun, for example, is practically useless because it deals hardly any damage within an extremely tight spread, and has a crappy rate of fire to boot. Give it an increase in spread and a noticeable damage buff.
  16. Slightly decrease the cool-down period on Trigger's minigun.
  17. The Desmatosuchus needs a health nerf. Badly. Six point-blank shotgun blasts barely brought it down to half health, and it can kill on the first shot. Not fair in the slightest.
  18. The blast radius on Nigel's rocket launcher needs to be increased.
  19. Add more T-Rex maps in the future. Gela's nice, but it gets old after a while.
  20. MORE GOATS!

Last edited by Odyssey1319: 08-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Odyssey1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
MahtXL

One other problem

In every game i played the allies didnt win once. Not becuase we suck, i played for an hour, you think by then if we did suck we wouldnt anymore. No its because the Axis has the t-rex, and other dinos and the allies have like what one, and its slow? We need either better weapons to combat the big dinos, OR, give us a nice big dino. Because one team winning every single match, isnt really balanced. Both teams should have equal opportunities to win, regardless of if they have the biggest dino or not. It turns into a one sided fight, or a t-rex camping spawn and thats not fair.
MahtXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
MahtXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahtXL View Post
In every game i played the allies didnt win once. Not becuase we suck, i played for an hour, you think by then if we did suck we wouldnt anymore. No its because the Axis has the t-rex, and other dinos and the allies have like what one, and its slow? We need either better weapons to combat the big dinos, OR, give us a nice big dino. Because one team winning every single match, isnt really balanced. Both teams should have equal opportunities to win, regardless of if they have the biggest dino or not. It turns into a one sided fight, or a t-rex camping spawn and thats not fair.
Aside from that i loved the game, but im just saying, it would be nice to see ALLIES WON, every once in a while.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Dragonsbrethren

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahtXL View Post
Stop playing on the 24/7 T-Rex map servers. I know it's the new map/mode and all the DDD vets are probably more interested in playing it, hence the large number of servers, but play some dm, koth, and obj maps too. Allies win all the time. Personally, I think the Allies actually have a stronger class composition overall. Axis gets dinos, but aside from the tank dino (and T-Rex) they're actually pretty hard to play effectively.
Dragonsbrethren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
Odyssey1319

Added some more suggestions to my list.
Odyssey1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
MahtXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey1319 View Post
Added some more suggestions to my list.
That was your 666th post :/ good lord you demon.

"Odyssey1319

Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
MahtXL

Another issue i just ran into today was almost every server i went into. (Some official, some not) WAS CRAZY LAGGY. Like not even playable lag either. I checked to see if i had Vuze running (torrent program) and no, i checked my internet speed (nope) So i dont know what that was about, almost game wide lag there, im assuming all the full servers were fine because they were packed full for hours and i couldnt get into any, so im assuming because of that i just stumbled upon the laggy servers and it maybe wasnt a game wide thing, just an observation though. On the personal side i would love to see a sprint animation ala Call Of Duty added. I just feel with ironsights, and sprint already in the game, what does a sprint animation hurt?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dino D-Day