Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Machinarium

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Stabro

Similar games?

I'm gonna throw it out there, Machinarium takes the cake on my top adventure/puzzle games list. I LOVE the setting and the story is fun and interesting, but I'd like to play more games like it.

I enjoyed Samorst/Samorst2 and I played the demo for Tiny Bang Story (is this worth looking into?).

Are there other similar games? I like the point and click adventure/puzzle interface a lot. I got into it back in the days of Myst but haven't played much since.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Orange Ninja

I don't think anyone can do it the way Amanita Design does it... which is why I'm so glad they're working on new games!

With regards to Tiny Bang Theory - I'm sure it's a great little game, but unfortunately with the whole stolen art debacle I'm sticking to my boycott.
Orange Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Ninja View Post
With regards to Tiny Bang Theory - I'm sure it's a great little game, but unfortunately with the whole stolen art debacle I'm sticking to my boycott.
1) you are missing out
2) The art that was stolen wasn't original either. Stolen itself if you want to call it that way. (see post 11 in the threwad you linked)

@thread: Have you tried "The Whispered World"? It's stunningly beautiful but I hated the ending. The rest of the game was marvellous though.

Last edited by in.meinem.turm.: 08-06-2011 at 01:33 AM.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
Orange Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.meinem.turm. View Post
1) you are missing out
2) The art that was stolen wasn't original either. Stolen itself if you want to call it that way. (see post 11 in the threwad you linked)...
The original art wasn't stolen. I perfectly understand the point the blogger artist made about all art being essentially stolen, but he's pointing out that no art can be original, and I definitely agree with that.

However, whoever made that art in Tiny Bang Story has simply painted over two existing pieces of art. I see nothing but guiltless copying, no matter how well done the paint job ends up as. Maybe this artist was so inspired by the original art that they didn't bother painting extra bottles on those shelves? Or changing the silhouettes? Or the lighting? Indeed, why put in all that effort when you can just hide the unwanted bits in blackness and paint over the rest.

If the game's artist was truly inspired by the original art, then he/she would've been more careful especially in avoiding the area of plagiarism. I'll end with a quote (see the blog you yourself pointed to):

Quote:
...an artist can get away with taking other art or photos directly, if it is done carefully... This type of cheat only works when nobody recognizes the source being used, or if some combination of the sources creates an effect that masks the individuality of the plundered pieces.
Orange Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Dunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabro View Post
I'm gonna throw it out there, Machinarium takes the cake on my top adventure/puzzle games list. I LOVE the setting and the story is fun and interesting, but I'd like to play more games like it.
I guess you played all the classics of the genre yet, right?
Like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and so on...
Dunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Stabro

Quote:
I guess you played all the classics of the genre yet, right?
Like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and so on...
As much as I love Monkey Island, I appreciate the art a lot more in Machinarium. I love that Monkey is longer and is funny but for some reason Mach. really appealed to me more.

Haven't played Grim though. Always thought about it but never did.
Stabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabro View Post
Haven't played Grim though. Always thought about it but never did.
Grim has a lot of problems on modern hardware that may stop you from progressing at the middle point. And it has horrible controls. The only thing saving it from being rap is the story and the okayish puzzles.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Rechargeable

You could give Ben there, Dan that a go.
From what i remember that and its sequel were very good and funny. It doesnt have as much in the way of art like Machinarium but its worth a look at.
Quite cheap too
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Mushe

Banned
Definitly you have to play The Neverhood.
Mushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Dunther

Quote:
Grim has a lot of problems on modern hardware that may stop you from progressing at the middle point. And it has horrible controls. The only thing saving it from being rap is the story and the okayish puzzles.
You can easily solve all the problems by using fanmade patches and launchers. And the controls are great, if you use a keyboard. Maybe you need to get used to them, but they are really well made.

I overall prefer it to the whole Monkey Island series, I really love Grim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushe View Post
Definitly you have to play The Neverhood.
It's an interesting game, but apart from the artistic style I didn't enjoyed it so much. The puzzles are not my kind, because most of them are based on remembering things you see, and use them later (hint: if you want to play it you gonna need pen and paper to write all infos).
Its soundtrack is awesome too.
Dunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
chewbaccagu

Don't forget there were a lot of these kinds of games made in the 80s too. King's Quest and Space Quest series were both good. Of course, the graphics are nothing like Machinarium. Still worth playing if you can find/run them.
chewbaccagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
MaxMen

Yes you do rite!
MaxMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Snorkel

The Longest Journey! It's a little aged now, but the graphics are in 3D. And it's an awesome story!
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Dr. Bloodmoney

Quote:
Well last I checked there was a ScummVM style emulator being done for 3d style adventure games starting with Lucasart's LUA engine based games like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 4 called Residual

http://www.residualvm.org/ It works similar to ScummVM where you just need the DATA files for the game and there is also a fan based remake/update of Grim Fandango called Grim Fandango Remastered in the works that with any luck also correct the horrid LUA engine controls.

http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=100

As for the OP's question well the Blackthorn games are pretty good as well as the Broken Sword games I would recommend though if you do get the Broken Sword titles get them over at GOG and not Steam as you will get both the original and remastered versions of Shadow of the Templars and Smoking Mirror(a two version for the price of one deal) as well as a fixed for modern systems version of Broken sword 4 were as on Steam you will just get the directors cut of Shadow which in my opinion isn't as good as the original version and the orginal version of Smoking Mirror running under Scumm despite Revolution studios contently asking Valve to swap it out for the remastered version.

Also the orginal Sam and Max is still fun and hilarious

Last edited by Dr. Bloodmoney: 01-17-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Dr. Bloodmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
Shad0WeN

Botanicula looks interesting:

http://amanita-design.net/games/botanicula.html

I think they are shooting for a release next month
Shad0WeN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Machinarium