Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dragon Age series > Dragon Age 2

Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Ambious

DLC and Steam?

Ok, so we all know DA2 has been pulled from Steam.
But if I purchased the game from Steam, will I be able to install the DLC I purchase form Bioware/EA?
I'd imagine because of how Steam works, the two would be incompatible.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Aemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambious View Post
Ok, so we all know DA2 has been pulled from Steam.
But if I purchased the game from Steam, will I be able to install the DLC I purchase form Bioware/EA?
I'd imagine because of how Steam works, the two would be incompatible.
I'm positive that it should work, since BioWare's latest DLCs usually don't overwrite any of the original files. However, even if the versions might not be compatible you should be able to register your DA2 CD-key in EA's Origin client, which would allow you to download and install a full 'retail' copy of the game, which the DLCs should be fully compatible with.
Aemony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Ambious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemony View Post
I'm positive that it should work, since BioWare's latest DLCs usually don't overwrite any of the original files. However, even if the versions might not be compatible you should be able to register your DA2 CD-key in EA's Origin client, which would allow you to download and install a full 'retail' copy of the game, which the DLCs should be fully compatible with.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot
Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Ambious

The good news: it worked - I 'redeemed' the game in Origin.\
The bad news: I could not redeem and of the 'entitlements'. Glass half full is I can probably transfer it manually, I guess/hope/thing.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Animositisomina

You can still purchase and play all of the DLC for DA2 and use it with the Steam version of the game, even though it's no longer available in the store. You don't need to use Origin at all. Just buy the DLC and install it for your Steam copy of the game.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Ambious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animositisomina View Post
You can still purchase and play all of the DLC for DA2 and use it with the Steam version of the game, even though it's no longer available in the store. You don't need to use Origin at all. Just buy the DLC and install it for your Steam copy of the game.
Well, the DLC only installed on the version downloaded through Origin, and there I couldn't resume my old game because it was saved with the Steam version where I had Black Emporium, which I can't download in Origin because it's been used already. I'm screwed :-(
Old 08-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Aemony

Quote:
Well, the DLC only installed on the version downloaded through Origin, and there I couldn't resume my old game because it was saved with the Steam version where I had Black Emporium, which I can't download in Origin because it's been used already. I'm screwed :-(
No, you're not. You just haven't installed it. The DLCs needs to be downloaded and installed from BioWare's Social site. Here's the direct link to your DLCs (as long as you're logged in already): http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php

Just click on More Info - PC besides the The Black Emporium followed by clicking on Download, and install it in the copy you got from Origin.

The whole DA2 <-> Steam <-> EA <-> BioWare <-> EA <-> Origin <-> DA2 situation can be rather confusing at times, but everything should work without problems with one another. It was designed to do it and it has never failed for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Ambious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemony View Post
No, you're not. You just haven't installed it. The DLCs needs to be downloaded and installed from BioWare's Social site. Here's the direct link to your DLCs (as long as you're logged in already): http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php

Just click on More Info - PC besides the The Black Emporium followed by clicking on Download, and install it in the copy you got from Origin.

The whole DA2 <-> Steam <-> EA <-> BioWare <-> EA <-> Origin <-> DA2 situation can be rather confusing at times, but everything should work without problems with one another. It was designed to do it and it has never failed for me.
Well, after a LOT of tinkering I managed to get it installed (having two version installed at the same time confuses installers, it tried to install black emporium on steam, so I then re-installed legacy which this time installed on steam and not origin, so eventually I got it installed both at the same location) except THIS time it said next to the Legacy version 1.0 (UNAUTHORIZED) so I couldn't actually launch it. What gives? :-(
Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Animositisomina

Quote:
What gives? :-(
Completely uninstall and remove Origin, unless you're using it for other games as well. If not, ditch it. You don't need it and as you've seen already, it's just going to make things messy. Once you've removed it, you might need to uninstall DA2 and the DLC as well. Then, re-install it all again, but only through Steam. This way it's all centralized within Steam and there aren't duplicates coming from Origin.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #10
Aemony

Quote:
except THIS time it said next to the Legacy version 1.0 (UNAUTHORIZED) so I couldn't actually launch it. What gives? :-(
I don't get it... Aren't you logged in on the same EA account in Dragon Age 2? Because whether or not DLCs are authorized or not depends solely on the EA account you are logged in with, not the installation source. Weird... Probably another problem with BioWare's underlying authentication process.

The only thing I can recommend at this point is to follow Animositisomina's advice and restart the process all together. Didn't you try to install the DLC on your Steam copy before you installed Origin?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
Ambious

At this point I've tried everything.
Uninstalled, reinstalled, steam, origin, this account, that account, I even tried contacting the EA support several times, each time giving me a partial answer that's almost but not completely helpful and I still haven't been able to play the bloody DLC :-(
Is this thing refundable?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
MrBS

DLC installers work the same as Mass Effect 2, installing additional content folders to your steam directory. I have both ME2 & DA2 on steam and no issue with playing DLC on steam.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dragon Age series > Dragon Age 2