Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
upperguy

loot system?

I remember back when they announced Rage, that someone said it would have a cool loot system, similar to borderlands. Has anyone heard of this or am I just going crazy? If it does I'm in for sure(as soon as I find a discount pre-order location:-p)
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
jim2point0

Lolol... you are going crazy. There will be no "loot system." It will be a tradition first person shooter armory. And by that, I mean the guns will have set amounts of dmg (no stats or rarity). The actual weapons themselves look fun though. There will be a currency system that allows you to purchase weapons and engineering items and such as well. This is a first person shooter. No RPG elements here.
jim2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
upperguy

The joystiq review mentioned something about raiding dungeons for loot to be able to sell and the pre-order comes with armor and guns.

Quote:
Where so many shooters before it have added a light RPG affectation, Rage fully embraces the concept. Missions are doled out by quest givers, each gun is upgradeable with various ammo types, and gang dens are rife with loot (which can be sold in towns and settlements) and secret locations
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
jim2point0

Yeah, if you pre-order you do get a weapon and armor set. You can get item to sell and parts to build engineering items from "dungeons" and such... but it's not like you get green pistols and purple SMGs (like borderlands). Every gun will have a unique feel to it. There aren't 92 different kinds of shotguns.... only 1. See what I mean?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Quint

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2point0 View Post
Yeah, if you pre-order you do get a weapon and armor set. You can get item to sell and parts to build engineering items from "dungeons" and such... but it's not like you get green pistols and purple SMGs (like borderlands). Every gun will have a unique feel to it. There aren't 92 different kinds of shotguns.... only 1. See what I mean?
I agree.I honestly will take 10 completely unique guns then 3 bazillion guns that has no variety and feels all the same.

Funny that RAGE actually feels like a better version of Borderlands.
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
jim2point0

The comparison to Borderland isn't really fair. Rage was started 6 years ago... before Borderlands existed. It's a different kind of game. The loot system in Borderlands is essential for progression. The game doesn't relying on you being good at shooters. They're relying on you to level up, use your skills, and get better gear.

I enjoy both types of games equally.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
skiddlywibble

Quote:
No RPG elements here.
Quote:
There will be a currency system that allows you to purchase weapons and engineering items and such as well.
Sounds like an RPG element to me.
skiddlywibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
jim2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddlywibble View Post
Sounds like an RPG element to me.
Since when is buying and selling items an "RPG element."

So... stalker was an RPG?
Assassin's Creed II and up is an RPG?
Counter strike is an RPG? (you earn money and buy guns...)
Resident Evil 4 (and any others that allow you to buy and sell)?
Metro 2033 is an RPG?

I could go on but... yeah. No, buying and selling is not an RPG element
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
gameyoda

It depends on what you understand under RPG. Essentially it means that you assume the role of somebody or something, so all the examples you just called fall into that line (with the exception of counter strike perhaps).

Anyway, this will be more of a shooter then an rpg, but that does not mean it will be a 100% shooter.
gameyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameyoda View Post
It depends on what you understand under RPG. Essentially it means that you assume the role of somebody or something, so all the examples you just called fall into that line (with the exception of counter strike perhaps).

Anyway, this will be more of a shooter then an rpg, but that does not mean it will be a 100% shooter.
I agree, it sounds like it has an 'element' of an RPG from what I've read here in that you can purchase/sell and equip your character in different ways depending on how you want to play the game. The engineering thing as well makes me think there will be more scope for role play but probably not as advanced as FO3 etc? although I hope it will be
gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE