Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
OwMyToe

Red face GTA IV MP: Can't connect to games with one LIVE friend

I haven't had a lot of luck finding anything online, I'll keep looking and if I find something I'll update this thread.

I've got a friend that I can't connect to for MP - we tried taking turns hosting, we tried connecting to the same public game. As it turns out I could connect to the pub game but he was unable to connect, and vice versa. We have a mutual friend - either of us can play with this third person (hosted or pub, we tried both) but we two couldn't connect to the same game. Totally weird.

We are all Steam and LIVE friends.

Anyone else have this problem? Any idea what's up and how we can fix it?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
FusedCore

Banned
Are you or him using any mods? and did you both buy the game?
FusedCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
Deadly_Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwMyToe View Post
We have a mutual friend - either of us can play with this third person (hosted or pub, we tried both) but we two couldn't connect to the same game.
That is very odd. Perhaps you should try going to your friend's profile and submitting a positive review for him. Supposedly, that will increase the chance of you two playing together or something like that. I'm not too familiar with Live unfortunately.

If all else fails, you could try this. I've never tried it myself and I've heard it's pretty buggy, but it should get the job done.
Deadly_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
zodaex

Its cause you cant invite friends to ranked games. Try hosting some unranked games.
zodaex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
OwMyToe

Quote:
Are you or him using any mods? and did you both buy the game?
No mods, and yes, we both bought it and are playing through Steam. I had to change the executable to play in Compatibility mode in order to launch with Steam, but I tried starting my game through Steam and also directly through the exe as well with the same result.

Quote:
Its cause you cant invite friends to ranked games. Try hosting some unranked games.
All of the games we have tried have been unranked. Both the ones we hosted and the ones we joined.

We have tried the following scenarios:

1. Friend hosts, I cannot join.
2. I host, friend cannot join.
3. I find public game and join (can see other players), he cannot join.
4. Friend finds SAME public game and joins (can see other players), I cannot join.
5. Mutual friend hosts, I can join, friend cannot join.
6. Mutual friend hosts, friend can join, I cannot join.
7. Mutual friend finds public game, I can join, friend cannot join.
8. Mutual friend finds public game, friend can join, I cannot join.

Get the picture? So out of the three of us ONE of us can play with EITHER of the other two, but not both at the same time.

As I said we are all Steam and Windows LIVE friends. We all have legit copies of the game purchased through Steam, no mods or cheats.
OwMyToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
OwMyToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly_Target View Post
That is very odd. Perhaps you should try going to your friend's profile and submitting a positive review for him. Supposedly, that will increase the chance of you two playing together or something like that. I'm not too familiar with Live unfortunately.

If all else fails, you could try this. I've never tried it myself and I've heard it's pretty buggy, but it should get the job done.
I'll try the first and look into the second - thanks for the tip.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Discopanda

I am the friend, and it is really lame that we can't play together... but hey, hopefully the mod works!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
FusedCore

Banned
Please explain How are you two trying to setup the game?
FusedCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
OwMyToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusedCore View Post
Please explain How are you two trying to setup the game?
Was my post #5 not detailed enough?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Discopanda

All we want to do is play together. The problem is that we can't be in the same game. If I am in a game, Toe can't join. If I leave, she is able to join that game. If she is in a game, I can't join it. If she leaves, I can join that game. It is frustrating and quite confusing!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Deadly_Target

I searched around and others seem to have this problem too:
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=436337
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=480430
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=342566

A GTAForums admin had this to say about the issue:
Quote:
This sounds like the classic NAT connectivity limitations you get with Xbox Live - I imagine Windows Live works in much the same way. If your connection isn't properly configured, people won't be able to connect to lobbies you start, and you won't be able to connect to lobbies anyone else has started.

When running the game, open up the Windows Live menu, navigate to Settings, and then somewhere there you should find a Network troubleshooter. That will most likely report that you are connected to Live, but have 'strict NAT'. This basically means your ports haven't all been successfully forwarded - if you can confirm this is the output then we know where the problem is.

How are you connecting to the internet? Read this on port forwarding for some more info. If you have a separate modem and router, each will need port forwarding set up to point your data to the correct location. Any break in that line and you'll get a 'strict NAT' report and Live will refuse to work properly.
That's all I could find. Good luck.
Deadly_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
OwMyToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly_Target View Post
I searched around and others seem to have this problem too:
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=436337
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=480430
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=342566

A GTAForums admin had this to say about the issue:

That's all I could find. Good luck.
Wow, that's a lot of great info, thanks very much for searching that up. I'll let you know if I have any success!

I'd rep you but Steam's not letting me
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
SmellyLethality

One of her friends here. I can't connect to her games and she can't connect to mine. I can join about 30-50% of the games in the lobby, and some people can join mine when I host. I could play with one friend last night with ease.

I've noticed two different errors associated with this.

The first is "Unable to connect to the game session". This one sends you back to the server browser and allows you to continue searching.

The second one is "Disconnected from game session." This one kicks me back to single player and I have to use the phone to get back to multiplayer.

The windows live thing says my NAT is open, not strict. I haven't port forwarded anything specific to games and I don't tinker with my router and modem just to play games.

But figured I'd point out the two errors themselves and how they work differently.
SmellyLethality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
OwMyToe

I checked my NAT last night and it's set to "Open" as well.

Just to cross all my Ts and dot all my Is I went through my router settings and forwarded all suggested ports for GFWL. It took some finagling as I've got a server set up that runs dedservs for L4D/L4D2/TF2/MNC/Terraria so I'm testing to make sure I didn't hose those in the process. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
OwMyToe

All the ports are open, all my existing dedserv ports are still working, I can still only connect to some friends but not all. Totally weird and messed up. I guess we'll be trying IV:MP next.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series