Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Drakensang

Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
tanhauser

Combat tips for a newbie...

Hi all!

Just got Drakensang and while I'm loving it, I seem to be having issues when it comes to combat. Specifically, I'm wondering how does party combat work? I'm playing D2 and jusr got my first quest with two additional party members. When we approach a group of enemies the other two I am not controlling just stand there. I can select all and thrn click on an enemy to have them all attack, but then they only use their standard attack.

Do I have to micro-manage each party member and select which attack I want them to perform each round? Any useful combat tips for a newbie are welcome!

F
Old 08-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
DanielT

Drakensang is not really a tactical combat game, though you can play it that way. It's a party management game. What I mean by that is having a balanced party is far more important than managing the tactics. If you have four melee fighters, for example, there are certain fights which you will simply not be able to complete no matter how much you manage the players. There are even some fights that are much easier if you have a character with certain weapon specializations. Having a balanced party in terms of ranged vs melee and fighter vs healers is important.

The nitty gritty of managing you character is in the manual which you should be able to find in the steam directory.
DanielT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
duedermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanhauser View Post
Hi all!

Just got Drakensang and while I'm loving it, I seem to be having issues when it comes to combat. Specifically, I'm wondering how does party combat work? I'm playing D2 and jusr got my first quest with two additional party members. When we approach a group of enemies the other two I am not controlling just stand there. I can select all and thrn click on an enemy to have them all attack, but then they only use their standard attack.

Do I have to micro-manage each party member and select which attack I want them to perform each round? Any useful combat tips for a newbie are welcome!

F
They are just standing there because by default they are in "passive mode" when combat starts. To change it hit J so they are in "aggressive mode" You can also select an icon on their portraits to change modes.
duedermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
King_George333

Yeah, make sure they're in "aggressive" mode - but depending upon where they are, they still may be a bit slow to get to enemies.

If you pause or auto-pause before combat, then yeah, you can select each character and have them attack a specific enemy. Not necessarily faster, but at least you'll know they'll be attacking what you want them to attack.
King_George333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
DarkJeff

You also need to manually order them to use their special attacks, which are important.

For example, I had guys all with the bow or crossbow abilities that inflict wounds when used. When an ogre (or whatever that you don't want to melee) shows up, I have them all fire it off. Odds are good the victim will fail enough checks to get 5 wounds and instantly die.
DarkJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Solon25

You can drag&draw the special attacks or spells, healing potions etc. in the bar. If you wan't to delete something in the bar, place the mousecursor in that field and press middle mousebutton
Solon25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Drakensang