Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
treepuncher

Bought Fallout 3: Game of the Year and it crashes in the first scene

I bought Fallout 3: Game of the Year on sale from Steam the other day for $10, but it crashes at the first scene every time I try to play it. The intro video plays, but when I get to the birth scene it just freezes up and I need to CTRL+ALT+DEL to close the game by ending the process. Sometimes it happens before I choose my sex, sometimes after. I know the Fallout 3 engine is just buggy in general, but does anybody know of a fix for this?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
skkull

Change the game to use just one core of your processor, and don't use the ffdshow codec in the game.

I really don't remember how to do both, but I'm sure google has the answer
skkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
treepuncher

I looked and I don't think I have anything with ffdshow on my computer. Would setting the game to operate on one processor core negatively affect performance?
treepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
skkull

ffdshow installs with the community codec pack if I recall correctly, if you installed it, you have it.
Just search "ffd" on the search bar, if anything shows up, you have it installed, if not, then just set the game to use one core.
And no, the performance stays the same... FO3 is a light game, and more importantly, its engine is not the Source, so you don't need that much processor power... and besides, it doesn't really matter, the game won't work without setting it to use only one core.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
treepuncher

I did some Googling and I still can't figure out how to set it to run on one processor core. Does anybody know how to do this?
treepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
skkull

Quote:
In FALLOUT.INI (located in Documents / My Games / Fallout3) find bUseThreadedAI=0, and change it to bUseThreadedAI=1. As well, add a new line below it that reads iNumHWThreads=2 . By default Fallout 3 tries to run as many threads as you have cores since it's a multithreaded game, but quite often has a tendency to hard lock on CPUs with more than 2 cores (eg. Phenom II X3, X4, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme, Core i7)
http://sites.google.com/site/lordbean/fallout3fixes
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Humma Kavula

Simply search this forum (and the Fallout 3, which this one isn't) for threads regarding crashing and you would have found the fix with ease.
Humma Kavula is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series