Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Me Lose Brain?

Civ 5: "Please Wait" Forever?

Since today's update I've run into a problem where the "please wait" button remains so indefinitely. The cursor doesn't turn into a spinning globe to denote turn processing, and I can still access the city screen and so on, but the turn never ends.

Some googling lead me to find that this problem has occurred for people since release, but this is the first time I've ever run into it after almost 100 hours of play.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
taoareyou

Question

I too have over 100 hours of play and just now started getting this message. When I hover over the "please wait" it says it is waiting for other human players to finish their turn, but I'm in a single player game.

I can save the game and reload it to get past this loop, but it has happened twice in the first solo game I have played (second time was on turn 65, I didn't notice the turn number the first time).

Does not seem to be a problem in the multi-player as I have played a complete game with a friend and we didn't encounter this glitch.
taoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Me Lose Brain?

Ah yes, I get the "waiting for human player" message too, but I only play single-player.
Me Lose Brain? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
icelt

I just experienced this one today as well, but it was an "over time" game so no biggie. Also the save and reload trick worked for me too. Not an ideal fall back but better than nothing.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
taoareyou

Just got it again, third time in the first single player game since the patch. This time on turn 98. Playing a duel map against 1 AI and 4 city states, Prince level, quick game speed. Napoleon is my AI and I am playing the Hawaiians. I have all the DLC, in case that might matter as well.

Hope this gets addressed quickly. Having to save and reload every 30ish turns will get old fast.

EDIT: I quit that game, went back, different civs, same everything else. It first hangs up at the end of turn 29. So 29, 65 and 98. Probably 30ish more after that, but I got tired of saving, quitting to main, reloading.

Last edited by taoareyou: 08-12-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
dogbone

i know why this happens

the game is basically waiting for you to assign a task to a unit but it doesn't alert you which units needs orders. try cycle through your units (usually a worker that stopped due to enemy presence or a unit that had queued movement orders and arrived with movement points left, and the turn then passes.

easy fix when your empire is small still but nightmare when you have a large amount of units
dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
taoareyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
the game is basically waiting for you to assign a task to a unit but it doesn't alert you which units needs orders. try cycle through your units (usually a worker that stopped due to enemy presence or a unit that had queued movement orders and arrived with movement points left, and the turn then passes.

easy fix when your empire is small still but nightmare when you have a large amount of units
If this is the case, it still needs fixing. Especially since it just started happening for me yesterday, after the patch, but had not occurred once in a hundred hours of play before that. lol
Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Vesmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post

This is exactly what is happening. Usually it will be a unit that has been given a multi-turn instructions, and that unit does not continue that movement or becomes blocked by another unit. I have also seen this to occur with workers that are not switched to auto and the worker will simply be standing and will require the last instruction to be given again.
Vesmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Tealus

I got that once, I just save the game and reloaded. Once it loaded up, it ask me to deal with a couple units (I selected skip turn, before and after the lockup). And it continued on, so its a new bug introduced by this patch.
Tealus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Master Hosen

No need to save and reload just look for a unit that still has movement and move it.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Me Lose Brain?

That's for the tip, guys - the unmoved unit is exactly the problem. I can't say for certain, but the single cause of this appears to be a worker unit stopping what they're doing because a barbarian is within attack range. Moving them or simply repeating the order they were already carrying out fixes it. I'm thankful that this has a solution, but I do hope it gets patched soon.
Me Lose Brain? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Master Hosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Lose Brain? View Post
That's for the tip, guys - the unmoved unit is exactly the problem. I can't say for certain, but the single cause of this appears to be a worker unit stopping what they're doing because a barbarian is within attack range. Moving them or simply repeating the order they were already carrying out fixes it. I'm thankful that this has a solution, but I do hope it gets patched soon.
I hope it gets patched soon as well I do tire from playing where's waldo every so often.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
dogbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoareyou View Post
If this is the case, it still needs fixing. Especially since it just started happening for me yesterday, after the patch, but had not occurred once in a hundred hours of play before that. lol
yea it defo needs fixing, I didn't mean to imply it shouldn't.
I's super annoying.
dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
taoareyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Hosen View Post
I hope it gets patched soon as well I do tire from playing where's waldo every so often.
If only the workers who stop would put on red striped shirts, blue jeans and a cap! lol

I bet you can use the units list on the left to locate him.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
slowtarget

Guys: Press '.' to jump to the unit that needs orders.

Yes, it's a bug that needs fixing. I expect a hotfix in a couple weeks. In the mean time, that period key is your friend.
slowtarget is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series