Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tropico series

Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Danarchist

Differences between Tropico 3 and Tropico 4?

I downloaded the demo for Tropico 4 and ended up even playing through the tutorial missions twice
I am thinking I will end up buying 3 to play around with until 4 comes out. Is it much like 4 in function etc? One of the big things I love is the music. My girlfriend LUVS Cuban music and when I was playing last night she was dancing around to the music and god it was cute! Is the music as good etc?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Twin--Sword

The number.
Twin--Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Toasty-Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danarchist View Post
My girlfriend LUVS Cuban music and when I was playing last night she was dancing around to the music and god it was cute!
Save yourself some money man.

Youtube is great for that kind of thing.
Toasty-Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Cru_

T4 is T3, but has a different UI and has a fair amount of extra added stuff.

Buy T3 > Mute all ingame sounds but music and crank it > Have fun with the game > Have fun with the missus > ??? > Profit.

You're welcome.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
oldbrokenlink

i played t4 demo and what i see is that t4 is basically t3 with improved ui which makes it easier on beginners

ok they have added 20 new missions, 10 new maps, 20 new buildings, 6 new disasters, a council of ministers, a national agenda, trading system, screen shot gallery, facebook and twitter integration, but nothing else...

maybe it's a little bit too expensive for basically the same game.

would have been nicer at $15, then again what wouldn't, i guess it will be on sale 50-66% off during winter sale
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Yxklyx

Played the demo - a bit underwhelmed. What's missing is improvements to the interface that could have been easily implemented. For instance, the unemployment situation should be displayable somewhere on the main view window (perhaps near happiness) and it should also note the education of those unemployed when you hover. Also, when you hover over an individual in a working building slot - his education should be displayed right there - that way you know who to fire (right now you have to memorize each name beforehand after looking them up in Lists). The Quick Build takes away some of the strategy of the former game - I think it's cool but it should be an option that you can turn on/off that would affect your score. Graphics are much faster now!
Yxklyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
City Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrokenlink View Post
i played t4 demo and what i see is that t4 is basically t3 with improved ui which makes it easier on beginners

ok they have added 20 new missions, 10 new maps, 20 new buildings, 6 new disasters, a council of ministers, a national agenda, trading system, screen shot gallery, facebook and twitter integration, but nothing else...

maybe it's a little bit too expensive for basically the same game.

would have been nicer at $15, then again what wouldn't, i guess it will be on sale 50-66% off during winter sale
Kind of feels like an 'old school' expansion pack. Those things that we used to pay about half price of the original game, before the whole DLC craze hit the PC market.

Yeah, I think in my opinion, this would have been better priced for owners of T3 at about $20.00 and $39 for people that don't own it.
City Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Yxklyx

Some more thoughts...

How about some new graphics for Houses/Mansions, etc... I bet that the "new" graphics in this game are just rejected/unused ones from Tropico 3.

I think the UI changes are a sideways move. The info is now displayed in the far upper right while the menus are in the middle or lower left - before, the info was right where the menus were. So now, we have to move our mouse and/or eyes a lot more. Also, right-click used to close every window - there are some windows now where that's not the case.

It would have been nice if the campaign had a difficulty selection - most of the ones I played in T3 and AP were incredibly easy. 10 new maps does not seem like a lot.

The incredibly increased graphics performance is really good - everything looks nicer now since I was on Medium before - though the lightning effect was pretty awful from what I saw.

This game doesn't even feel like an expansion to me - it feels like a slightly different version of Tropico 3 - like they had two programmers working on different versions of the game at the same time.

Eh, and what is the Ministry good for - do they just give you missions?

Last edited by Yxklyx: 08-19-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Yxklyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
JStuif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxklyx View Post
Some more thoughts...
Eh, and what is the Ministry good for - do they just give you missions?
You need the Ministry if you want to use the edicts. Each minister unlocks a set of edicts. And yes I do believe they issue missions once in a while.
JStuif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
skylar15

Talking

You forgot another difference, 4 is more optimized than 3.
skylar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
pilnomi

intentionally stretched out the demo for a while, and noticed my corn and tobac farms seemed to degrade their own land.. didn't notice this with t3. had to either switch their crop after a while or place different farms next to each other.. maybe was in t3 tho and I didn't notice?

ranchers don't seem to roam as far and shut down completely after they degrade the pasture, like i didn't notice them crossing roads thru traffic with the herd like they did in t3 (lol).

loving the hurry construction thing!

Import feature is neat -- can import raw mats for factories, and markets can import food when you don't have enough supply.

the mini-missions are pretty comical..

the tornado disaster looked neat, and that screenshot of the tsunami looks nice.. new "rebuild" thing is a great idea.

lovin the new features personally, and I wouldn't call them trivial.

T4 is definitely a buy for me. really, after what happened with civ5, $39 is fine if it's working out of the box and they don't try to push all the content as paid DLC (screw that crap!)

that said, right-click to build is sort of annoying.. the old UI style was fine. would like slightly better graphics and shadows on the "high" setting (demos sometimes ship with lower quality graphics tho, fingers crossed!). garage problem is still there - these things are sort of an eye-sore and always get overcrowded no matter how many you put in.

anyway, ymmv
pilnomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
rb12s

yea love t4 seems to have a huge diff to t3 imo only thing thats buging me is id like to see more military oriantaion stuff like a airforce base or a naval yard or mabye a tank factory to spice it up with the military conflicts but alto gether its pretty good
rb12s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 AM   #13
pete5595

well its got a weapons factory

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tropico series