Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Corrupt^

CS:GO & Making CS "cool"

Since they're making another CS, I'd figure I'd go for a little rant I had on teamspeak a couple of nights ago as well.

After playing games such as BC2, one thing always keeps coming back. Awesome, yeah.

Why is it awesome?
  • (esp with war tapes on) Gunsounds
  • Weapon modelling

Every time you fire a gun in some of the newer games you get the feeling you're holding something powerfull, something that's lacking alot in CSS (and less in 1.6 as far as sound goes).

What I'm trying to get at, is to step away from the typical gunsounds and models/skins we're all used to and redesign them from scratch.

Without touching up the gameplay of course.

An example for instance would be a AN94 and a HK416 for instance. Kick out the old fashioned M4/AK and replace them by these but keep the core gameplay similar. CS is a game and not a SIM, so they could easily keep the balance between the weapons close to what it was now.

Or a G36 instead of an AUG.

You could argue about custom skins, but since sv_pure came around, you can hardly use the anymore + to compete with games like CoD, slapping a little "awesomeness" over CS without touching the core gameplay couldn't hurt.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Blue Haze

Well, Counter-Strike, along with many of VALVe's games, wasn't aimed on full on realism. Counter Strike was suppose to be a casual FPS where you take the roles of Terrorists trying to plant bombs and the team trying to stop them. It wasn't suppose to be focusing on realism and stuff, like most games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, which try thier best to make thier games as realistic as possible.
Blue Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Corrupt^

That wasn't my point, my point is, because they're not stuck to "realism" like other games, they can change the look of things like weapons and still keep weapon balance the same.

And to make it sensible I did mention similar weapons. HK416 is a bit of an updated "cooler" looking M4 and so is the AN-94 for the AK.

It's simply about making the game look more "awesome", purely aesthetically, nothing gameplay changing. Due to that it would probably attract more players as well (people that never played a CS game before).
Corrupt^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
RawrManbearpig

Now that you have brought this up, it makes me think we can expect weapons to appear larger, bulkier, and more powerful. (Think about the AK47 in LFD2(Not its recoil pattern, it looks bulkier and more powerful))
This is making me think, we should create a thread based around thinking of good replacements of weapons without actually being much of a gameplay change.
RawrManbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Kosire

800 North
Changing the weapons to other weapons would be confusing, you can easily make a powerful AK47 and replacing it with an AN-94 would be dumb, considering the AN-94 is a burst weapon, shooting 2 bullets at a time?

And to me, Counter-Strike is all about the AK47, M4A1, AWP and the Deagle. That's what reminds of CSS, good times.. I don't want those memeories changed.
Kosire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
infringement153

Just install custom mods if you want a more powerful-feeling gun.
infringement153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
phantom_six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze View Post
Well, Counter-Strike, along with many of VALVe's games, wasn't aimed on full on realism. Counter Strike was suppose to be a casual FPS where you take the roles of Terrorists trying to plant bombs and the team trying to stop them. It wasn't suppose to be focusing on realism and stuff, like most games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, which try thier best to make thier games as realistic as possible.
Call of Duty and Battlefield is NOTHING close to realism -_- . They're both still run and gun and will never be realistic. It's not Red Orchestra or ARMA.
phantom_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Corrupt^

Quote:
Originally Posted by infringement153 View Post
Just install custom mods if you want a more powerful-feeling gun.
Do any of you people even read the posts?

sv_pure = no go. The idea is to make it look more interesting out of the box.

Not only could it attract more newer players because it "looks cooler", they might just even realise what they have been missing out on.

Look at it as if the game was a woman. You need this first initial attraction before you actually are interested and most of the time that includes looks. I'm not saying cs is bad looking, but it's "bland" compared to alot of shooters these days. A better game but with blander look.

Last edited by Corrupt^: 08-16-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
_ACID_

Now CS is high quality enough to not have to cover itself in glitter and feathers to get a prom date. I do agree that once you have played a game with good audio you'll notice the lack thereof in other games, but I don't get what's so important about realistic sounds and realistic modeling.

To me, CS is a game and not a war simulator so I disregard all the inconsistencies and enjoy playing.

Why do you feel you need the realistic guns yourself?
_ACID_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Corrupt^

Ugh I give up, I'm not talking about realism and to not even desire for more "glitter and glamour" that is purely cosmetical seems odd to me.

Let's just have a great game using the same look on every map and every weapon with the same sounds...

I doesn't even have to be a AN94, there's plenty of AK lookalikes or versions.

Last edited by Corrupt^: 08-17-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
_ACID_

You said in post #00 BF was "awesome" because of its gunsounds and weapon modelling because it makes the guns feel more powerful, then stating CS' weapons lacked proper sounds and models. Your point then was that you feel Valve should make an effort to reskin and redesign weapons in regards to visuals and sound.

I personally don't agree with that. CS has unique sounds unlike the modern shooters which make an effort to imitate real gunfire. I don't hear a difference in regards to quality. Both games use their own kind of sounds and it seems you feel BFs sounds are superior.

So, does this come down to me hearing different things than you? Because I have played BFBC2 a lot and while I love the explosion sounds I just can't hear BFs gunfire having something that CS lacks. In regards to skins, they are being remade anyways even if they remain based on CS' stock arsenal, so there's probably hope for you anyways.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
RawrManbearpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ACID_ View Post
You said in post #00 BF was "awesome" because of its gunsounds and weapon modelling because it makes the guns feel more powerful, then stating CS' weapons lacked proper sounds and models. Your point then was that you feel Valve should make an effort to reskin and redesign weapons in regards to visuals and sound.

I personally don't agree with that. CS has unique sounds unlike the modern shooters which make an effort to imitate real gunfire. I don't hear a difference in regards to quality. Both games use their own kind of sounds and it seems you feel BFs sounds are superior.

So, does this come down to me hearing different things than you? Because I have played BFBC2 a lot and while I love the explosion sounds I just can't hear BFs gunfire having something that CS lacks. In regards to skins, they are being remade anyways even if they remain based on CS' stock arsenal, so there's probably hope for you anyways.
It sounds like you are hearing differently, I don't see how you can understand how CS:S weapon sounds are different then other games weapon sounds (battlefield specifically) and not agree that the sounds are and would be superior to what we have now.
If you don't understand how we would prefer weapon sounds that are more realistic (ONLY AN AESTHETIC DIFFERENCE, IM NOT ASKING FOR ARMAII) I don't think any amount of convincing will make you understand.

Sidenote, I hope in CS:GO unsupressed weapons are louder and sound much deeper and more powerful.
RawrManbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
_ACID_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrManbearpig View Post
It sounds like you are hearing differently, I don't see how you can understand how CS:S weapon sounds are different then other games weapon sounds (battlefield specifically) and not agree that the sounds are and would be superior to what we have now.
If you don't understand how we would prefer weapon sounds that are more realistic (ONLY AN AESTHETIC DIFFERENCE, IM NOT ASKING FOR ARMAII) I don't think any amount of convincing will make you understand.

Sidenote, I hope in CS:GO unsupressed weapons are louder and sound much deeper and more powerful.

Superior in which respect. I have seen you two write that the BF sounds are deeper and more realistic, neither of which constitutes "good" for me. Yes, they are superior in regards to depth, quality and realism, and CS surely would benefit from enhanced quality and depth to meet modern listeners standards but how does realism play into this?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
sole21000

I'll admit the guns in CS have always felt bland to me. Say what you want about Cowaduty, they do gunfeel very well. It's genuinely enjoyable to just fire the weapons in that game. Tripwire also does a very good job making guns enjoyable to shoot in their games (Red Orchestra and Killing Floor). I hope Valve takes some time to make the guns in CS:GO feel more viscerally satisfying.

Last edited by sole21000: 08-18-2011 at 01:06 AM.
sole21000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #15
nyran125

Banned
Bad company 2 is realistic? since when? the way the gun fires in cs are more realistic than you are giving it credit for. Bad company 2 only feels like your holding something powerful because they have increased the MASSIVE explosion noises around you and increased the DOLBY BASS on each bullet!!!! but then fire a deagle in CS BANG thats loud as FCK and feels pretty damn right in CS.

But weapon handling in Bad company 2? no way, they are light as hell and do not feel like your holding a real weapon.

P.S Cs better not have attachments pretending to be perks like bad company 2 or Perks in general. Thats nto why we play cs. CS is about the map, the weapon, your opponent and raw skill vs the other guys skill adn every action has a consequence. Thats it, we dont want any more than that.

Last edited by nyran125: 08-18-2011 at 12:44 AM.
nyran125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive