Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Heart's Soul

Banned
What to get as a laptop?

Well, I'm tired of using my father's computer for everything. So, I decided to get meself a lappy. Now here's the question... what's a good laptop?

It doesn't need to be the most uber one out there, but it has to hold it's own weight. 4GB RAM, at least 1TB of HDD space (SSD's are not necessary, I don't mind the load time, some of my downloads will fill them up VERY fast) and dual-core at 2.3GHz or better is my absolute minimum (excluding the RAM, it's likely I'll get only 4GB out of it, anyway, if it doesn't have amazing specs, such as Alienware m18x- the $6000 wallet-snatcher), hopefully with a nVidia 9500 card or better, as Intel Integrated sucks. Like, REALLY BADLY.

If you do not wish to assist me, then close the tab and go play TF2 or Portal or some good game. Or Big Rigs, I don't care.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
slayvus

Well the first questions I am going to ask are

What is the minimum you would spend on a laptop?

What is the maximum you are willing to spend?

Now both those question gauge two things. The second question gauges how good of a laptop you're willing to put money down for. The first question on the other hand gauges how willing you are to go with a crappy laptop.

For example, the minimum I would spend on a laptop is about $800. Where as the maximum would have to be about $1,200.

I'm willing to get a nice high-end laptop, but I'm also not willing to purchase a piece of . If it wasn't for gaming, I would probably only lower my minimum amount to about $600.
slayvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
Heart's Soul

Banned
Price is not an issue, but at minimum is $400 (because some laptops here that cost that much can and will hold their own weight, besides, it's easier to play games like DOOM on earlier machines) and maximum is $4000 (pre-tax).

Gamers, you know us.
Heart's Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Baron_Fel

how big do you want it? Because you can get a 17" 8lb monster or a 15" thats 5-6lbs and a great deal more portable.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Maxi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152286
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Method320

Asus ROG laptops are excellent. This is the only one in stock that is higher end.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...7&Tpk=G73Sw-A1
Method320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
AAkiller

just a heads up: i purchased the laptop that Method320 linked to, and it was a disappointment. very very disappointing.

the performance wasn't what i expected for the price, it'd be much more well spent on a desktop PC. probably 3 times the performance for the same price, and upgradeablity, fixability, and lifespan increase of a stationary PC beats it to the dust.

furthermore, the laptop display runs 1920:xxxx (forgot the precise digits) natively. you have to use upscale if you use a lower resolution, which is weird and didn't give much of a FPS boost in GTAIV (in fact, my 4 year old dual core 9500GT PC did better, hah..)

you'll bugger alot with the 3-d if that's the model you get, it took 2 days for me to get it working.

it has alot of bloatware that you'll have to remove.

it does make quite some noise from the fans.

but the real killer is the REALTEK onboard audio chip, which is malfunctioned. when you change the audio from 0-1 and 1-0 in windows audio settings, you'll hear a loud clack if you use analog headsets. same when you launch programs, switch between programs etc. i had it sent for repair, and the store manager was nice enough to say that because it cost that much, it'd have to be satisfactory for me. so if it couldn't be fixed by the repair guys, i'd get my money back.
well, it was repaired, but not fixed. eventhough the motherboard was swapped. so i had to get back to the manager about his promissed, which he furfilled.

my recommendation is that you purchase a mid-range laptop for low-end gaming and educational duties or work, and get a desktop PC for gaming. that's what i'll do.

also, if you want to ask any questions about the asus G73SW, feel free to ask. i had one for two weeks.
AAkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Sam_A_1992

Tbh the only pc manufacturers i would buy from are dell, alienware and hp. Due to my previous good experience i wouldnt recommend any others. I would pay more for the name but thats just me. I was tempted by the asus but went with a dell xps in the end and it is very good so if you want to ask any questions please ask.

And im sorry to hear about your bad experience aakiller but did you expect it to be quicker than a desktop?

Last edited by Sam_A_1992: 08-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Sam_A_1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
AAkiller

well i did have an idea that a desktop would be more powerful than a laptop, but i figured it'd be far superior to me 4 year old desktop PC and at the same time use far less electricity, well, it was superior but not far. especially not when laptops are expected to last 2 years only and my desktop managed 4 years now, granted, with RAM issues (2 x 1GB chips, sometimes registereing 1GB ram in POST, sometimes 1.5GB, but now thankfully 2GB again). mostly the issue has been faulty Nvidia GFX cards though.

furthermore, samsung also uses the malfunctioned REALTEK audio chip, samsung employs a repair center that took 3 repairs (i.e 2+months) to repair 2 issues, and after that the motherboard they put in had a malfunctioned audio chip, but they denied everything and samsung told me to live with it or risk recieving a bill again (which i did the first time i sent it to the rubbish repair center, samsung resolved it though). the netbook is a N120.

generally before i purchase any laptop i'd want to know everything about the components, and avoid REALTEK chips, and also check what repair center is used by the manufacturer on the garantee. and read read read if anyone else had issues regarding the components, manufacturere, or repair center. that's probably the best advise i can give you regarding such.
AAkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Baron_Fel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAkiller View Post
well i did have an idea that a desktop would be more powerful than a laptop, but i figured it'd be far superior to me 4 year old desktop PC and at the same time use far less electricity, well, it was superior but not far. especially not when laptops are expected to last 2 years only and my desktop managed 4 years now, granted, with RAM issues (2 x 1GB chips, sometimes registereing 1GB ram in POST, sometimes 1.5GB, but now thankfully 2GB again). mostly the issue has been faulty Nvidia GFX cards though.
it defintely performs better than ur desktop. A 9500GT is the same as an 8600GT, its ancient.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Sam_A_1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_Fel View Post
it defintely performs better than ur desktop. A 9500GT is the same as an 8600GT, its ancient.
Lol i was using a 8400m gs before my gt 555 i have now and i noticed quite a difference to say the least.
Sam_A_1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems