Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Tellic

Was almost tempted but by the current low price.....

.....then I saw it was GFWL.

So I slowly backed away from it with my wallet and sanity intact.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Brandon90

Reminder to all of SPUF: The quality of the game is irregardless if it's not Steamworks!
Brandon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
aegisfate117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon90 View Post
Reminder to all of SPUF: The quality of the game is irregardless if it's not Steamworks!
Yeah but the quality of the service which is Windows LIVE is horrible.

Stop being so pretentious.
aegisfate117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Spekingur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisfate117 View Post
Yeah but the quality of the service which is Windows LIVE is horrible.

Stop being so pretentious.
Please explain why it is so horrible?
Spekingur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
MrPoly

Well, for one, many people, including me, have the game crash to the desktop upon startup because "Games For Windows Live failed to initialize." And despite the numerous "fixes" Timegate has posted on their forums, nothing works and so many people can't even play the game.
MrPoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Brandon90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoly View Post
Well, for one, many people, including me, have the game crash to the desktop upon startup because "Games For Windows Live failed to initialize." And despite the numerous "fixes" Timegate has posted on their forums, nothing works and so many people can't even play the game.
sounds more like an issue with Timegate, not GFWL.

but im only an open minded individual with critical thinking skills
Brandon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
TheVentilator

I have played 30+ GFWL games, and to date i have NEVER had any problem with any of them. I used GFWL for over 2 years.
GFWL is a selling point for me, because its merging with my Xbox 360 profile.

GFWL works flawlessly here, and also perfect in Section 8 Prejudice.

I really wonder if the GFWL haters even tried it. Microsoft rarely patch GFWL, because there is no noticable bugs.

Remember that GFWL is made for beginners with no PC skills.
TheVentilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Atomic Hamster

Is this why no one plays it? Because of the lies that idiots spout on forums about GFWL?

I have never had any problems with GFWL and don't see why people refuse to buy games with it, other than doing it cos its cool to have a go at it...
Atomic Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Guhn.E

To be honest, if I had the choice of GfWL or no-GfWL, I'd pick not having it
Guhn.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
DeadPoolX

I think the reason a lot of people dislike GFWL is because it's an additional (and very unnecessary) DRM inclusion when Steam itself is needed to play the game. If you could use Steam or GFWL, perhaps that wouldn't be as bad, but both seems very heavy-handed.

That said, my personal issue with GFWL is that it changed my Hotmail password on me without any warning whatsoever. Maybe that's not a big deal to some, but I found it intrusive.

However, if this game had a lot of people playing it (from the posts I've seen, it's not a high populated game) I'd put up with GFWL for a good multiplayer FPS. Hell, I still sometimes play BF1942. Sure, it's old, but it's still fun.
DeadPoolX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
DangerDave00

Ooh yeah. I was contemplating a purchase as it's only 5 dollars. But I ain't dealn with games for windows. Not a chance. Phew, that was a close call.
DangerDave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
klkitchens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellic View Post
.....then I saw it was GFWL.

So I slowly backed away from it with my wallet and sanity intact.
Seriously have no idea why people hate GFWL... I have no problems using it. What are the issues?
klkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Dashiva08

I had issues with GFWL on Fallout 3 and Bioshock 2. Every other game I've played has worked flawlessly. Including Section 8: Prejudice.
Dashiva08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
Atomic Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoolX View Post
I think the reason a lot of people dislike GFWL is because it's an additional (and very unnecessary) DRM inclusion when Steam itself is needed to play the game. If you could use Steam or GFWL, perhaps that wouldn't be as bad, but both seems very heavy-handed.
But it doesn't harm you or cause massive slow down to your PC! Just people love to complain.
Atomic Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
gameyoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoolX View Post

That said, my personal issue with GFWL is that it changed my Hotmail password on me without any warning whatsoever. Maybe that's not a big deal to some, but I found it intrusive.

However, if this game had a lot of people playing it (from the posts I've seen, it's not a high populated game) I'd put up with GFWL for a good multiplayer FPS. Hell, I still sometimes play BF1942. Sure, it's old, but it's still fun.
For the first part this.

For the second part: yes, it does seem intrusive, however hotmail is owned by Microsoft. Your hotmail account, if linked to games for windows live, will use the same password, so it is rather inconvenient than intrusive.

The third part I am agreeing with you. I dislike GFWL, but if it is a good game it does not matter. After all, you log in to GFWL and play, its not like the game is GFWL.
My biggest issue with GFWL is that it does not do everything logically (resets the menu whenever you close it, you have to start up a game and log in before you can update it and some other minor things).
For the most part though I think it is a fear that lives in the heads of most complainers, because if you complain its a DRM, guess what, Steam is aswell. Saying it does not work because of an error with other software is not the fault of GFWL, but of the other software.
gameyoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series