Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Taedirk

Steam Soundtrack Support

With today's release of Bastion, Steam adds another soundtrack to their store. The only problem is that there is practically no support for these. They go to funky directories (...Steam\steamapps\common\Bastion\Soundtrack, ...Steam\steamapps\common\frozen synapse without any soundtrack directory) and have no support in the Steam Client. It's a great idea with no standard implementation. Personally I love the idea of being able to buy my game and my soundtrack at the same time through the same interface, but that interface right now is somewhere between horribly broken and poorly lacking.

• Use a single directory for non-game media files.
...Steam\Media is straight forward and low level. Anything with extra media (soundtracks, collector's edition bonus files, etc.) drops here with a similar structure to what's already in steamapps folder.

• Implement an interface inside the Steam client to access these files.
Any of the bonus material should show up here as another set of files I can optionally download. Games in the library would have a link to Bonus Material just like they have links to the store and forums. Click on the link and it brings up the media browser.

Let's look at Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for an example.
  • The Original Codex (pdf)
  • Multiplayer Character Collectible Trading Cards (pdf)
  • Map of Rome (pdf)
  • Assassin's Creed Lineage (video)
  • Making of AC:B (video)
  • Game Soundtrack (soundtrack)

There's a ton of bonus material in the Deluxe Edition. Preferably it would be broken down by specific entities related to each game instead of having one (potentially) massive download for each game. If I look at the entry for Assassin's Creed in the browser, I should see it expand out. I can then pick and choose which of these I want to download instead of having to take everything just to get access to the soundtrack. That way everyone saves bandwidth and storage space and companies can look at these metrics to determine what interests gamers in their bonus material packs.

• In-game support for soundtracks.
The final item would be offering support for these soundtracks through the Steam API. At the least, create a media player in the overlay to play songs I've purchased (and thus giving me another reason to buy via Steam) from inside other games. Other uses could be for other games to access music through the Steam API and use that to replace their own soundtracks, act as a set of music for an in-game radio to pump out, or give games like Audiosurf or Beat Hazard a base set of songs to pick from ("Play from Steam Library").

It feels like I'm just yelling into the wind here, but I really do see at least some of these like a unified media folder as very necessary changes if Steam is going to continue to sell soundtracks through their service.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Taedirk

Bonus points: Example mockup of AC:B media window.
Taedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
kraze1994

Would be a nice idea.
kraze1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
Firmar

Yes. Almost the same what I've posted twice about.
Firmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
DGMurdock

nice idea
DGMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
slicendice777

At this point, any form of organization would be a good idea.
slicendice777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #7
Roxor

I'd be happy with just being able to go to steamapps\media\<media_type>\<game_title> to find what I'm after.

For example, put the Portal 2 soundtrack in steamapps\media\audio\Portal 2, the Portal 2 trailers in steamapps\media\video\Portal 2, and so on.
Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Scorcher24

I want this too.
It is not really convinient to collect the soundtrack from their folders.
Could just add the Steam Folder to Windows Media Player, but that would include normal Gamesounds too, if the devs use mp3 for their ingamesounds.
Please add more support for Soundtracks.
I discovered some soundtracks by accident when I bought games in a bundle .
Scorcher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
BeRazer

Steam selling music/OSTs would be great.
But never with itunes as a partner, appleware is something you should want far away. Quicktime is bad enough already.
BeRazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Roxor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRazer View Post
Steam selling music/OSTs would be great.
But never with itunes as a partner, appleware is something you should want far away. Quicktime is bad enough already.
Agreed. If Valve ever teams up with Apple, I'm going back to piracy. I hate Apple and don't want to see them getting a nanocent if it can be avoided.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
sketchblo

agreed
sketchblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
BeRazer

I'am glad you agree! and rep to you roxor. Come on let's support this thread so Steam listen to us. There's already soundtracks, like TF2, Portal 2 etc that could be available in a proper tab in steam.
BeRazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Scorcher24

Come on Valve. More and more Soundtrack in my library... some devs don't even know that there is soundtrack on Steam .
Make it more prominent in the Client and allow us to download it without installing the game.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Roxor

Yes, this is something which is long overdue. It really should have been implemented before the soundtracks became available, but given it wasn't, it should be done as soon as possible before the migration problem is made any worse by new soundtracks being added by developers.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Scorcher24

Any chance this gets implemented soon?
I mean, c'mon.

Move the soundtracks from DLC to a full product in a new category soundtrack.
Make a new tab in Steam called Soundtracks.
Implement a mp3 player or allow launching a playlist with a player of choice, which should not be too hard for you awesome guys.
Done :-).

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas