Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
AlphaS820

Total War: Shogun 2 - Unable to change my default gpu...

I tried adding the game manually to my NVIDIA control panel, but in the game graphic settings, it shows the intel 3000 graphic card. My NVIDIA card is a GT 540M, it's optimus. How can I change it? I hate optimus, what's the point in it anyway

Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
tr0n187

Can you disable the Intel graphic controller in the BIOS? That should force the Nvidia card to be the primary.
tr0n187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
AlphaS820

How, I don't want to risk entering the BIOS and ruining it, like trying to turn turbo boost permanently in my last laptop, i5 430M.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
hahahehe

Sounds like you got Hybid SLI to me.

Im fairly sure its Ok for the game to be showing the onboard card rather than the dedicated one as the chipset handles the crossover.
hahahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
AlphaS820

So it's actually using the NVIDIA one but just showing the Intel one?

Wait but it shows like 500MB memory, it's a 2GB GT 540M, I can set graphics like say the army size to ultra because it probably does not have enough memory.

Last edited by rotNdude: 08-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
tr0n187

Like I said, you may want to disable the onboard video card, try device manager first if you're too scared to mess with the BIOS (seriously, it's not difficult).

For device manager, try:

system properties -> hardware -> device manager -> display adapters -> choose the integrated video card and then select "do not use this device" under device usage.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
AlphaS820

It doesn't work like that, infact it just ed everything up. The resolution is changed and I can't changed it back, shogun 2 will not start, everything looks soo pixelated. Imagine what would happen if I actually went into the BIOS. I don't think you understand this is a built in Optimus, I'm trying to find a easy solution, not one that would risk ing everything up. You soudnded like you think you're a computer genius or something.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
tr0n187

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaS820 View Post
It doesn't work like that, infact it just ed everything up. The resolution is changed and I can't changed it back, shogun 2 will not start, everything looks soo pixelated. Imagine what would happen if I actually went into the BIOS. I don't think you understand this is a built in Optimus, I'm trying to find a easy solution, not one that would risk ing everything up. You soudnded like you think you're a computer genius or something.
Yeah... that will happen when you don't have drivers for the card you are trying to use. Seriously, you need to stop freaking out. Download the proper drivers for your nvidia card, install, reboot, set your resolution then play.

And to answer the question if you went into the BIOS, the same thing would actually happen, to fix this? Revert the changes. Easy.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
AlphaS820

My NVIDIA driver is up to date, so is my Intel HD driver. I can't reset the resolution, if you would reread my sentence and make sense of it. And when you make it sounded so easy, tell me how exactly would you enter the BIOS and change all the settings without ruining the system.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
tr0n187

tell you what, if you're not going to change your attitude, figure it out on your own. Or maybe you can get some other help from the plethora of posts in this thread. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
AlphaS820

It's soo obvious, you know nothing about computers, and make yourself sound like some sort of computer genius. This is a optimus glitch I'm talking about, not those crossfired kiddie glitch.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0n187 View Post
Like I said, you may want to disable the onboard video card, try device manager first if you're too scared to mess with the BIOS (seriously, it's not difficult).

For device manager, try:

system properties -> hardware -> device manager -> display adapters -> choose the integrated video card and then select "do not use this device" under device usage.
That was a bad idea I must say, now look what you did
LOL not like you did it though. But why would you suggest this?

@AlphaS820
What model laptop do you have???
Someone asked this earlier about an Alienware, for god sake it tells you in the MANUAL, please READ.

Once I know the model I can find out exactly how to do it, if I don't already know. Thanx.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #13
AlphaS820

It's a ASUS X53S, that's all it says. I read the manual that come with it, not really helpful.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
Dope Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaS820 View Post
It's soo obvious, you know nothing about computers, and make yourself sound like some sort of computer genius. This is a optimus glitch I'm talking about, not those crossfired kiddie glitch.
Tron is right. He didnt give you a detail explanation on how to finish the job but he is right.

Now that you disabled the default gpu, you need to install the Nvidia drivers. If you don't do that you will never be able to use your new card.

Just disabling your old card in device manager is iffy at best through. Safest thing to do is disable it in bios. To disable it in the bios you want to make sure that you can reset the bios if something screws up(your new card not working, for example.). Reseting bios to defaults is usually pretty easy, you just have to find that little button that you can only press with a paper clip. Double check to make sure that its the right button tho. Look it up on the manufacturers website.

If you dont feel comfortable doing this you can do a system restore(probably more complicated than adjusting the bios) and bring your pc back to the initial state it was in. That means your laptop won't be using the new card u just installed.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems