Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
skelter192
 
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 65
Posts: 537
A look at The Old Republic Eternity Vault and a Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Event.

For all the talk of heroic combat and such I find GW2 looks much better. Not because of the graphics and great animations but because of all the freedom it allows.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Eternity Vault GamesCom 2011 Day Zero Presentation

and here is a look at GW2.

Guild Wars 2 Gamescom 2011 Boss Fight: Tequatl the
skelter192 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8422
Posts: 10,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelter192 View Post
For all the talk of heroic combat and such I find GW2 looks much better. Not because of the graphics and great animations but because of all the freedom it allows.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Eternity Vault GamesCom 2011 Day Zero Presentation

and here is a look at GW2.

Guild Wars 2 Gamescom 2011 Boss Fight: Tequatl the
The Old Republics looked extremely boring. Guild Wars 2 boss fight feels like it's taking a few things from Lineage 2 bosses. Being an NCSoft company.. It doesn't surprise me. L2 had some pretty big and epic boss fights.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
SeanHraefn
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 1361
Posts: 455
Guild Wars 2 combat looks flashier, but I think TOR's content so far looks more challenging.

I don't have a problem with the "holy trinity" myself, I just want the content to be hard as and to really challenge the tank (I always play tanks).

So far SWTOR looks like it will give me that opportunity to do some old-school tanking.
SeanHraefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8422
Posts: 10,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanHraefn View Post
Guild Wars 2 combat looks flashier, but I think TOR's content so far looks more challenging.

I don't have a problem with the "holy trinity" myself, I just want the content to be hard as and to really challenge the tank (I always play tanks).

So far SWTOR looks like it will give me that opportunity to do some old-school tanking.
When they used the word "Casual Friendly" and "Raid" together any hope of "Challenge" died with Old Republic.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
SeanHraefn
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 1361
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
When they used the word "Casual Friendly" and "Raid" together any hope of "Challenge" died with Old Republic.
You can always invent your own challenge by raiding with less people and that kind of stuff.

GW2 is also being marketed as fairly casual friendly.
SeanHraefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
velvetmeds
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 3270
Posts: 2,297
Good. I don't like to punish myself
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8422
Posts: 10,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanHraefn View Post
You can always invent your own challenge by raiding with less people and that kind of stuff.

GW2 is also being marketed as fairly casual friendly.
Every MMO anymore is marketed as casual friendly. I really don't have the desire to play either of these. I figure if I am stuck with this influx of Casual MMOs.. might as well stick with WoW since it has the most content.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
SeanHraefn
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 1361
Posts: 455
I think I understand why you don't play MP games now.
SeanHraefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Excygy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 4062
Posts: 168
Both games looks great and different, The last boss video from swtor looks ok, but I've seen another gameplay video earlier that looked better.

If i have time AND money might get both to try.
Excygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
velvetmeds
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 3270
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanHraefn View Post
I think I understand why you don't play MP games now.
I play MP games. But nevermind, it's just tastes
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
skelter192
 
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 65
Posts: 537
I'll be getting both myself but I really hope that's not the best Bioware can come up with bosses. GW2 just looks amazing and I feel like it has so much going for yet it can be easily ruined.
skelter192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
AsheMan
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 3611
Posts: 3,289
I just noticed the Guild Wars red dragon logo looks just like Dragon Age's blood dragon logo.
AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Son, I am derp
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 397
Posts: 515
Does anybody else always recognize the uses and reuses of voice actors in Bioware games? Not just the ones playing the main characters, but doing the additional characters as well.

So GW2 looks about a thousand times better, but PQs are one of those terrible double edged swords. The first one I did in WHO was ing awesome, but then I got to the mid levels in the zones where the population was much more sparse and it was just "ehhh" because you'd find ones designed for 5-10 players and there simply wouldn't be enough people around to do them. They talk about the scaling in the upward sense, but not about the downward sense. You might be able to do it with 3 billion players and not have it feel EZPZ, but what about trying to do it with only a few?
Son, I am derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
skelter192
 
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 65
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son, I am derp View Post
Does anybody else always recognize the uses and reuses of voice actors in Bioware games? Not just the ones playing the main characters, but doing the additional characters as well.
Well I'm not sure about that but I know TOR has over 900 voice actors.

Darth hater

some of them can be seen at IMDB so it does look some are reused VA but come on that's a crapload of dialogue.
skelter192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8422
Posts: 10,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelter192 View Post
Well I'm not sure about that but I know TOR has over 900 voice actors.

Darth hater

some of them can be seen at IMDB so it does look some are reused VA but come on that's a crapload of dialogue.
Yep and most of it will go to waste. Bioware is new to the MMO thing but fail to realize most players just click the quest and go. They don't usually care about whats in the quest.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.