Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
deathekid

Talking Screen goes black when playing games

I just got a new video card for my desktop, Powercolor Radeon HD 6850. At first I did not have problems while playing games until maybe 3 days after gaming since I got the video card my screen has just gone black while in a game. I'm not sure what is the problem help?

PC Specs:
Intel Dual Core 2.8 Ghz
1 GB RAM
Power Color Radeon HD 6850

oh and I also noticed that the video card needs a 6 pin power connecter, but the power supply has to have at least 500w. I do have a 6 pin power connector but my power supply is 300w maybe this has something to do with it? if not please let me know how to fix.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Philthy53

Install a larger power supply. I'd get one even bigger than 500W to "future proof" your PC.

Phil
Philthy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
KlashbeN

Probably lacks enough power to run properly while in game since it requires more processing. Get a 650W power supply and it'll probably be solved.
KlashbeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Stormy1

Here is a good one.
Stormy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
spiritofradio

This happened to me a while ago. I fixed it by updating my Video Card Driver. If you have an AMD Video Card you can update it through steam. Just go to the toolbar at top left of steam window and click steam and then select "Check for video card updates". If i helped you at all please add me some rep.
spiritofradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Stormy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofradio View Post
This happened to me a while ago. I fixed it by updating my Video Card Driver. If you have an AMD Video Card you can update it through steam. Just go to the toolbar at top left of steam window and click steam and then select "Check for video card updates". If i helped you at all please add me some rep.
I wouldn't suggest using steam to update your drivers. It better just go to to the manufactures website and update them manually.
Stormy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
deathekid

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofradio View Post
Yeah I tried that yesterday when new driver update came
still same problem. I think its the power supply, going to buy a new one and see if that fixes it
deathekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
deathekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy53 View Post
Install a larger power supply. I'd get one even bigger than 500W to "future proof" your PC.

Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlashbeN View Post
Probably lacks enough power to run properly while in game since it requires more processing. Get a 650W power supply and it'll probably be solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy1 View Post
Here is a good one.
Will this one do any good??
looking for something cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817170017
deathekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips