Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
PumaCat

Crashes during character creation

Hello all,

My game always crashes during character creation, after a couple minutes. It doesn't seem to matter much which screen I'm on, and seems more time dependent.

From reading this forum I've tried:
Re-installing DirectX and the VC Redistributable
Using the Client Extension
Verify game cache files through Steam

For some reason when I try running the game with Administrator privileges or compatibility mode it won't start (click launch, nothing happens).

I have Windows 7 64-bit and a Radeon HD4800.

Thanks so much for any help!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
kamalktk

Possibly overheating gfx card. Have you tried uninstall and reinstalling?
kamalktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
PumaCat

I can play much newer and more graphically intense games without any problems though. Also, CCC isn't popping up the temperature alert and my card isn't overclocked at all. Is there something specific about NWN2 that would cause this?

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling when I get home. Thanks!
PumaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
kamalktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaCat View Post
I can play much newer and more graphically intense games without any problems though. Also, CCC isn't popping up the temperature alert and my card isn't overclocked at all. Is there something specific about NWN2 that would cause this?

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling when I get home. Thanks!
Nwn2 graphics engine is, well, inefficient (though top community made adventures show it's capable of looking far far better than the official campaigns, try "Misery Stone" for instance). It can be harder on your gfx card than newer games, despite any graphical quality differences. What you describe probably wasn't a gfx overheat issue, but only a possibility.

Last edited by kamalktk: 08-19-2011 at 07:53 PM.
kamalktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
PumaCat

I reinstalled the game and the ATI drivers, but it's still happening. I think Steam cloud saved my settings when I reinstalled the game though. Any way to make it forget those settings?
PumaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
sethxdeath

Unhappy

The same thing is happening to me. Any ideas?
sethxdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
sethxdeath

The same thing is happening to me, but when I'm trying to create a character in multiplayer. Any ideas?
sethxdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
bertieb

Has anyone got an update on this? I'm trying to host multiplayer and it's crashing after a few minutes, seemingly at random.
bertieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
bbellina

Character creation has been reported to crash if you have characters in your localvault that were created using non-standard classes. I suggest you make sure your override folder is empty and empty the localvault folder and see if that solves the crashes.
bbellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
bertieb

This is from a fresh install, so both localvault and override are empty (in case anyone is looking for them, they seem to be under %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\).

A workaround seems to be to figure out what character you're after, create it in single player, then save it for use in multiplayer. It's hardly ideal though, and there could be crashes in single player for all I know; I've not had a chance to test yet.

Last edited by bertieb: 01-23-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
NWN DM

If you have empty local vault and override folders, perhaps verify local files via Steam.

This crash should only happen if you have a PC at the top of you character list in your LV that were made with custom content that isn't part of the module you're trying to play.

The most frequent source of this is when people use Kaedrin's pack (it is great - don't take this as a criticism).
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
bertieb

Thanks for the reply. I'd never played NWN2 before so I don't think it's custom content at issue but I will double check! If I recall the first thing I tried was verifying client files, but I will give that another go. A search of the web suggests that this irregular crashes during character creation are a common issue, but we'll see. Is there a way to enable debugging info so as to trace the cause of the crash? The generic Windows application crash reporting module has little useful info.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
bertieb

Sorry for the double post, but I can confirm that the workaround (creating a character, saving and then using that character to bypass the creation in multiplayer) works for multiplayer.

On the other hand, the crash may also exist in single player - I haven't tested that extensively enough to be sure!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
NWN DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieb View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I can confirm that the workaround (creating a character, saving and then using that character to bypass the creation in multiplayer) works for multiplayer.
This isn't really a fix, nor is it going to work in all situations.

This only works if you are playing MP where Local Vault characters are involved. The vast majority (i.e. 99.99999999999999998% - perhaps more) of all MP servers use the Server Vault meaning you create your character on their server and can only use it there).
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2