Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
mifkinz

Failure to launch - Civ 5

I recently bought Civ 5, downloaded and installed successfully, however when I try to run the game, directly from the hard drive or via Steam the game will freeze on the "preparing to launch" screen and can only be closed via task manager after heavy system lag and delays.
Windows XP Service Pack 2, any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Gamerz11

Same for me since last update. Steam doesn't launch the game and pc almost freeze to "preparing to lauch" panel. After that, I get an "incomplete installation" (55) error. I did everything that was told in this forum but nothing worked.

Could you please tell me how I can make this work again! I run out of ideas..
Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
CharlieeFoxtrot

Same problem....get the "preparing to launch" panel. Only mine disappears after a few seconds with no results. The only thing that launches is the steam "update" pages (i.e. the "buy these games now!" screen)
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
TNG

I was having the 55 Error too. Once restarting Steam was enough but then it returned with a vengeance. I use Avast and, as they mention in the support page, de-activating it while launching the game finally solved the problem, although it is annoying to deactivating it every time I launch Civ5 but oh well...
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Stexred

if avast is the problem doesnt excuding steam from scanning help it?
else get a better virusscanner
Stexred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
mikethm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieeFoxtrot View Post
Same problem....get the "preparing to launch" panel. Only mine disappears after a few seconds with no results. The only thing that launches is the steam "update" pages (i.e. the "buy these games now!" screen)
Same here.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
DeadManWalking1

failure preparing to launch

Idem here. Preparing to launch then doesn t open the game. Verify integrity of game cache (steam) always says 1 file missing. Im in contact with support 2k...
But i got to play like for a week. after this dlc mongols, wich i cannot chose "do not automaticly update this game" that this issue started. So my guessing is something with this dlc...
Anyway 2k support is slow but is moving along. Today after 5 days in contact (excluding weekend) i sent a file with my operacional system so they can figure out what is going on.
So i suggest you contact the 2k support team. for US and canada i guess, they got skype, so i believe it would be faster...
Old 08-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
mifkinz

Thanks for the tips, I disabled Avast for 10 mins to start the game and it works fine. If you have Avast I'd recommend trying this.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Slimewowgrogga

Civ V crashing with various different issues.

Hi, it gets worse....

I have a

Dell XPS L502X
i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00Ghz (quad core with 8 threds)
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Nvidia GT 540M 2GB DDR3

I downloaded Civ V and at first it worked fine but only in directX 9 version. There were some small minor graphical glitches with DX9. Each time I tried to load DX 11 it would crash after the FMV begining (I didn't even get to a menu to set up the game with the dx11 option).

I know my graphics card should be able to run dx 11 and this game as your store page says.

I played using DX9 for a while, but recently I got the latest DLC (Mongolia). I started having problems with the clouds in the game (unrevealed areas). The clouds were displaying like black raised Octagons, but three dimensional. I tried restarting with a new game to see if this would stop this glitch as I thought the save file might be corrupted, but when I did they were still there.

Next, a couple of days later after I had accepted this annoying glitch I go to launch the game and DX11 option is greyed out and says that I need service pack 2 to play it with that option. Well that isn't even out yet for Windows 7. Fail!!!

I updated video card drivers 3 times, even with removing the driver and doing a fresh install. No change.

Everytime now when I select DX9 vesion the screen goes black, flashes grey for a second and goes black again. No FMV start. Game hangs and has to be killed with task manager.

I have read a few threds elsewhere advising people to access the properties of the steam.exe file and change the compatibility as this creates problems for some 64bit systems. Well I have tried every compatibility option and alas no success.

I can run Borderlands at full setting no probs. Rift works, Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale Fine.

I have also uninstalled the game twice and re-downloaded it to try to fix the problem. I have tried the verifying game data, it doesn't work. :-(

I notice on my other computer, a desktop, that when I launch steam the Civ V link on the left sometimes refreshes by redownloading something or it checks files. This happens in seconds and doesn't take long. But the percentage meter comes up as if it is downloading.

Come on steam what is going on with this game? There are so many issues. The multiplayer hangs sometimes and doesn't work right, even when the game is "working". Other people elsewhere on the net are whinging about similar problems.

Sid Meier this game is a fail and really needs attention, and bloody quickly. DLC content comes out to suck more money but where are the fixes???? :-(

I guess the most annoying thing is this game is such a good game when it works, and thus is the reason why I am so angry. Otherwise I just wouldn't care. You really shouldn't launch things until you know it's running right.

You only lose customers by releasing messy work. It is all over the forums and people are unsure wether to buy it or not. tisk! tisk!

As for my virus application, I run Kaspersky Pure and this has worked with all of my tested steam games so far. I used to run AVG (paid) but gave up as it basically stopped me from playing 50% of steam games. Another fail. But that was on my desktop not my Laptop.

Please help.....
Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
DoubleSupercool

Dang, what an effort. After essentially downloading the game twice, I got the "incomplete installation" error (55). Reading here I disable Avast and while the game seems to work, it throws up a Visual C++ error when loading and won't play the intro movies.

I will play it tonight and see if there are other issues, but it is hardly confidence inspiring.
DoubleSupercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Jamieva

Worked fine for me for 3 days and now for the last 2 days it goes to launch Steam and I get an error and then back to nothing. Ridiculous.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #12
Slimewowgrogga

Oh and the specs of my other PC that wont run this game

Dell XPS 420 Desktop
CPU Q6600 2.4Ghz (quad core)
4 GB Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Nvidia GTX 560ti 1GB
Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
Slimewowgrogga

Just in case you haven't read the other thread, here are some fixes cut and pasted

The following is courtesy of segmentnext.com, mirroring it here for Steam users. Link to direct article below.
http://segmentnext.com/2010/09/21/ci...y-tweak-fixes/

Civilization V Troubleshooting Tips

1# Civilization V Crashes and Poor Performance on ATI Cards

It is highly recommended that you have the latest Catalyst drivers for your card.

2# Crashes and Bad Performance on nVidia Cards

Updating your display drivers will help the cause.

3# Civilization V “Out of Memory” Error Fix

This is due to deficiency of your Video memory. So reducing the graphics to lower settings may help the cause. If it does not solve your problem then find this value in the config(ini) file, “HideOutOfVRamWarning” and set HideOutOfVRamWarning = 1 using notepad. This should remove the warning message.

4# Civilization V Error Code: -5009 : 0x8000ffff

There are 2 solutions for this one:
Clean out the temp folder. If you are not sure that what is the exact location of this folder then open command prompt and type “set temp” to see the path then go to that folder and delete all the files/folders within it.
Fix Corrupt Install Shield files. Go to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime

and delete or rename IsProBE.tlb then re-run the installer.

5# Civilization V Crashes on Startup, Skip Intro Movie

If your game keeps on crashing at the initial stages of the game like the start up screen or the first loading screen, you may want to try following workarounds.
1. Go to

“My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization 5\”

and open usersettings.ini in Notepad. About 15 lines down you will find “SkipIntroVideo = 0″. Make this value 1. This will skip the intro video and you will be directly enter to the game menu. Again, make sure that you have the latest drivers and you reboot the PC after driver install and editing the ini file.

2. Navigate to

Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier’s Civilization V/DirectX

and run Dxsetup.exe. if you are using Dx10/11, try running the game using DirectX 9 also upgrade your DirectX drivers.

6# Civilization V Crashes on Large Maps

It is most probably due to the fact that you have LOW memory (RAM). You can avoid crashes by terminating other process that might be consuming your memory.

7# Civilization V Black Screen Out of Range Error

1. Open the corresponding GraphicsSettingsDX9/DX11.ini file with a text editor. Look for the strings WindowResX and WindowResY.

2. If you want the game to run in 1024x768 resolution, change these values so that they read
WindowResX = 1024
WindowResY = 768

8# Unable to Load .dll file

Verify the integrity of the files.

9# Executed Civilization V executable, and nothing happened ?

Try running the game as admin, or in Windows XP SP2 compatibility.

10# Civilization V Failed to Launch

If you have tried launching the game after installation and nothing happens, any error occurs, you can try these workarounds to fix the launch issues of the game
1. Restart Steam.
2. Restart Computer.
3. Go the folder and launch the application directly.
4. Validate integrity of game cache.
If that Doesn’t work, try this.
Go the folder in your steam index/common/civilization v
delete the Type. file “srcds_run” and then re-validate the integrity of game cache.

11# Broken DirectX 10 DirectX 11 Launcher Fix

If you get DirectX error on running the launcher. In order to fix that go to properties of Steam.exe and ensure that ‘Compatability mode’ is turned off.
Click ‘Change settings for all users’ in order to un-grey the Compatibility mode, but after that everything will work perfectly fine.

12# Civilization V Multiplayer Connectivity Issues
(Nothing yet.)

13# Civilization V Random Lag Spikes

Experiencing random ping jumps and lag issues ?. ALT-TAB out of the game, go to taskbar>processes and see which processes are loading your processor and causing these spikes. Also make sure you meet the minimum requirements in order to play the game.

14# Civilization V Crashes When Opening Civlopedia

Run the game in DirectX 9 and it will resolve this issue.

16# Problems Starting Civilization V Demo

Try to play the demo in compatibility mode DirectX 9 and see if the game starts properly.

17# Game Won’t Install From Disc ? Requires Download From Steam

Some of the users have reported that the disc version of the game they bought requires download from steam. If you face this problem you can try deleting all the game files and re-install the game using setup.exe from the disk. Or you can refer to the tutorial below on how you can install the game from the disc instead of steam.

How to Use Steam launch options to install retail games from disc.
1. Log in to Steam and click on Library.
2. Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
3. Insert the first disc into your computer.
4. Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
5. Press Windows Key + R to open Run
6. In the Run window type:

“C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe” -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
7. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

18# Anti Aliasing Doesn’t Work with DirectX 10/11

Playing the game in DirectX 10/11 ? some of you may experience no anti-aliasing whatsoever.
If you face this issue, go to GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini in your “My Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization V” folder and change “AllowLeaderAA” to “0″ to fix it.

19# DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11 Permanent Fix

Install “DXSetup.exe” from steamapps\common\sid meier’s civilization v\directx and it will resolve all your DirectX problems.

20# Can’t Save Games on Local Hard Drive

At your desktop, navigate to your “My Games” folder then to the “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5″ folder. Find the Config.ini file, right click and select “Edit”.

Scroll down to the section [Game], which is about 75% down the list. The third option under that is what you are looking for. It will look like this:

; Save Path – relative to working (Civ5) folder
FileName =

You need to put in the directory location of the “Saves” folder in the blank spot after FileName =

It should then look similar to this (check your own directory, it is different on different OS):

FileName = C:\Users\(Your Username)\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 5\Saves\

Save the Config.ini file after your modification and congrats now you will be able to save games on your local hard drive.

21# Civilization V Bonus Content and Sound Tracks Location

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier’s civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\Soundtrack

22# Crash Related to msvcr90.dll - Possible Solution posted by DocDire

Quote:
REPOST from: BigDen at Firaxis http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89837

Some users are reporting the following crash related to MSVCR90.dll:

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.17, time stamp: 0x4c9b9292
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.4926, time stamp: 0x4a1743c1
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00050fb6
Faulting process id: 0x17bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb5c8dbeeb0c53
Faulting application path: F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a\MSVCR 90.dll
Report Id: fcb6c811-c880-11df-9fa3-00248c8c9c04

Try the following to correct it:

Run the command "sfc /scannow" from a command window.

That is - go to start -> accessories -> command prompt, and write "sfc /scannow" there.

You need to have admin privileges to do so. If it doesn't work without, simply right click the shortcut to "Command prompt" and select "Run as administrator". (Assuming you run Win7. This might differ somewhat on older operating systems)

For more information on the sfc command, you can have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

These are currently the major issues reported by users. If you face any other issue, share with us and we will try to resolve any issue faced by you.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
Svenice

Also getting the "stuck at preparing to launch window".

I'm not sure what the hell Avast is but I don't think I'm running it unless it's some part of Steam I don't know about. All other Steam titles run fine.
Svenice is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series