Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod

Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Soulsbane96

GMod crashes when trying to join servers?

OK, I havent played very much GMod (only 7 hours) but months ago when my friend convinced me to buy it, we played on a few servers and they ran fine, but I really hadnt played it since. Yesterday, he came over to my house and I humored him and played GMod with him again on some RP servers. The problem is, sometimes servers load (about 1 in 5 times) and others they dont. It gets to the final download, and it seems like I'll be getting in the server, but then hl2.exe Crashes, almost every time. Ive only been able to get into 3 servers in the past 2 days, and if it crashes while ingame, I cant get back into the server again, hl2.exe crashes right before loading the server.
Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Vire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsbane96 View Post
OK, I havent played very much GMod (only 7 hours) but months ago when my friend convinced me to buy it, we played on a few servers and they ran fine, but I really hadnt played it since. Yesterday, he came over to my house and I humored him and played GMod with him again on some RP servers. The problem is, sometimes servers load (about 1 in 5 times) and others they dont. It gets to the final download, and it seems like I'll be getting in the server, but then hl2.exe Crashes, almost every time. Ive only been able to get into 3 servers in the past 2 days, and if it crashes while ingame, I cant get back into the server again, hl2.exe crashes right before loading the server.
Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?
If you have not already, do a verification of the game files. To do this go to Steam Library > right click on Garry's Mod >
select Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity Of Game Cache. This will automatically download and restore new files if it finds any corrupt.

Have you changed any hardware since 'months ago' when you played it fine? Software changes, particularly driver updates, could contribute as well.

Are you running any addons? They can increase load time and cause crashes if you're running out of memory and such. Generally you should be fine with some like Wiremod provided you aren't really low on Ram, and with that said What are your PC specs?;
aka Memory, CPU, GPU and OS. (Some of these can be found in Control Panel > "System", though it's probably different if you aren't on WinXP.
Vire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
soon_xx

its an official problem.
have the same.

its just unstably for some people. idk why.

verify GameFiles didnt help, re-install didnt help, remove all/many addons didnt help.

- wait for a fix
soon_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
12sea21

Disable firewalls (suggested in many threads) gonna try that now.
12sea21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
soon_xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12sea21 View Post
Disable firewalls (suggested in many threads) gonna try that now.
dont work )
soon_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
parkertroiani

Angry it is an application problem

you are not alone, it happens to me and jaratees me off. i try and join rnd build, but it crashes, but on my desktop it is perfectly fine. but the computer i am on us the only thing with th problem.

this computer is a macbook pro
4gigs of ram (ddr3)
2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo
still sucks

but there was one time when it happened to my desktop as well which is a frankendell
8 gigs of ram ddr3
intel core i5 processor
2 radeon 880M

so we now know its not an operating system or a computer issue. it doesnt matter how good the computer is or what os it is going to happen.
so that means it is something wrong with the application itself. i hope to god that somebody from the gmod technical team sees this and fixes it as soon as possible... jarateing me off.
also if they happen to see this, there is a bug witht he master pipe connection lock or some like that.

(excuse my french,)
kibbles
parkertroiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
sporeguy

gmod doesnt have a support team, its only one person, garry.

a source update is likly to blame, your only chance is to wait, if you really want help, post the technical details of the crash here (when the eroor pops up, click more info, then advanced)
sporeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
TheShadowCross

I have this too, but it only happens in one specific server (heavily modded). The rest go without a hitch.
TheShadowCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
infinikiller64

this error is so common why hasent anyone fixed it yet I WANT TO PLAY GMOD
infinikiller64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
HarpSeal

Solution

I had the same problen. I got a message from different games that i needed more disk space to run but i ignored it and when i started up it just crashed. I figured i could remove some programs i dont need to make more space and when i runned gmod it didnt crash when joining a server.

So just try removing some programs that arnt needed to make more disk space and when joining a server you wont crash.
HarpSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
parkertroiani

well, i upgraded my computer to 16 gigs of ram, and an intel core I7 processor now... and the problem still persists. there is obviously a bug. reasons it is impossible to be
large amount of addons (i have only acf and wiremod pa ep, and smartsnap)
bad computer (16 gigs of ram i7)
bad cache files (manueally went into the cache and deleted all of the DUA files)
bad garrysmod (i reinstalled many times, and manually went into the steam files and deleted the gmod folder so it did a full reinstall instead of the 25% reinstall)

but you all dont want to hear what doesnt work, you want to hear what will work! reinstall steam and all of the games, get a reimage, get a whole new computer, or just stop playing garrysmod all togeather... but that last one isnt going to happen i know it. im a gmod addict as well

Your local hl2 pro,
Kibbles
parkertroiani is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod