Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Valerianus

I was wrong to bash EA for their choice of server browser. No more boycott.

After a bit of hysteria yesterday, I will come here to man up and say that I was completely wrong about the lack of an in-game server browser.

After reading some more detailed posts from alpha testers who thought that the idea of launching the game from a web browser was ingenious, I have become somewhat convinced that integrating the game's menus with Battlelog could enhance the experience for every player.

Furthermore, I would recommend that everyone keeps his or her pre-order until they have had a chance to try out the beta for themselves. I have no doubt they will be tossing out keys like candy, so I wouldn't be too worried about being left out.

Yes, was I wrong to be angry about such a minor detail? Perhaps. But it is the voice of anger that pushes companies in the right direction. Boycotts are still a valid way of getting what we want, even if they are somewhat heavy-handed and oftentimes ineffective. (Like it was for MW2, for example.)

So, dear Steam community, please accept my humble apologies. Please keep supporting BF3 if it is your intention, for it will be the best multiplayer FPS this year.

However, I still believe that an in-game server browser is still better for the experience as a whole.

Last edited by Valerianus: 08-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
davidsneade

Well put. Did you ever cancel your pre-order?
davidsneade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Valerianus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsneade View Post
Well put. Did you ever cancel your pre-order?
Why would I? I had a discount on it. Plus, the game is over eight weeks away, so it wasn't like cancelling it until the last minute would hurt me or anything.
Valerianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Ace Quat

oh...my... god.... dice is running BRAINWASHING DEVICES to convince players of bf3's perfectness !!!!!!!!!!

OHNOES it could get me nex---- bf3 is the the best shooter ever, end of discussion.
Ace Quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Valerianus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Quat View Post
oh...my... god.... dice is running BRAINWASHING MACHINES to convince players of bf3's perfectness !!!!!!!!!!

OHNOES it could get me nex---- bf3 is the the best shooter ever, end of discussion.
No, DICE did not brainwash me. But it I still firmly believe that an in-gamer server browser is still mandatory for a great experience.

If DICE/EA screw up the beta because of this design quirk, then my opinion will change.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
rupok2

wow respect to you.
rupok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
DOE_JOHN88

You're a disgraceful boycotter... Turning your back on your argument...
DOE_JOHN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Valerianus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOE_JOHN88 View Post
You're a disgraceful boycotter... Turning your back on your argument...
Are you still boycotting?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Kurask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerianus View Post
However, I still believe that an in-gamer server browser is still better for the experience as a whole.
Agreed.

I was in the Alpha and experienced many issues with the server browser. I guess not everyone had the same problems though.

Blabber on my issues with it (noting that this was in Alpha):
The party system was odd to manage and assuming you and your friends in the party could join the same game, it would not always stick you on the same team (and there was no option to team switch in-game).

I actually had to already have IE (I know) open before lauching the game otherwise the area where you had to sign in (again) would not be clickable.

The pings of the servers displayed incorrectly for me as well (and you couldn't check it in game), but my friend didn't have that issue so it could be a minor bug.

Many servers claimed to be full though there were at least 10 slots available, but looking back that may have been due to this "reserved spot" someone gets once invited to a game, whether or not they accept it.

I'd be curious to see how much faster it is to get to the server page compared to an in-game browser; I may test it once I get into beta.

The primary purpose of the Alpha, however, was to stress test the servers, so chances are it was incomplete and they have worked on it since then.

I completely agree an in-game browser would be better as it would not take resources (not that they are in issue for me, but others at the bare minumum for the game possibly) and would allow the game to be launched through Steam . The Origin overlay actually bugged the game and stopped the ability to spawn, and on top of that it didn't even work correctly.

The game is (mostly) great once you start playing though!
Kurask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Robotkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerianus View Post
After a bit of hysteria yesterday, I will come here to man up and say that I was completely wrong about the lack of an in-game server browser.
Rep for you, sir! The other thread may have been a little rash, but unlike some people you actually seem willing to discuss your opinions rather than defend them to the death. Personally I don't think you were "wrong" about it. I may not have an issue with what I experienced in the Alpha, but Battlelog is a change and you've definitely got a right to be skeptical about such a different way of going about things.

Last edited by Robotkio: 08-20-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Robotkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Gamma_Stardust

Did not pre-order.
Will have access to beta before commiting.
Will test all out-standing issues.
Am sceptical.
Reserve final judgement till hands on.
Am sceptical.

Brainwashed OVER&OUT

Last edited by Gamma_Stardust: 08-20-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Gamma_Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
FanOfKOTOKO

Use the stream/xfire/etc. overlays' browsers and select your servers through there instead?
FanOfKOTOKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Kurask

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfKOTOKO View Post
Use the stream/xfire/etc. overlays' browsers and select your servers through there instead?
I'm not sure if those browsers allow plugins?
Kurask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
wonderboy2402

I've had friends questioning BF3 / DICE decisions... And I keep telling them that DICE is on it. They want BF3 to be the best in the entire series and I have faith they will achieve that goal.

I was a skeptic too on the browser situation, but I read peoples comments and feedback and it might be a excellent change.
wonderboy2402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
GOMER44

The browser blew chunks, some people are just to easy!

Its wasnt as bad as BF2 early days,
but it wasnt far from it either,
it still sux no matter how they do the browser,
Dice simply cant do one!
GOMER44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series