Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Cookie_Monster

Fallout New Vegas won't run.

I'm having a similar problem as some other people. I just bought Fallout: New Vegas yesterday from steam and downloaded it. I launch the game from steam, click "Play" on the launcher, and it acts as if I pressed exit. No errors, no messages, the game doesn't start - The launcher just closes. I've tried verifying the integrity of the game cache, and it tells me that "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired", and then it downloads something very quickly. I verify it again, and it gives me the same message and the game still doesn't work. I've updated my video drivers and DirectX, tried downloading DirectX 9.0c, but nothing worked. I've tried setting both the FalloutNV.exe and FalloutNVLauncher.exe to compatibility mode for several OS's and service packs (including Windows XP SP 3), and then tried to run the FalloutNVLauncher.exe file (these files are in the "\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas" folder) as an administrator but that didn't work either. Same outcome. I've also reinstalled the game. I'm 100% sure that my PC can run this game, and I don't think it has to do with my build, but just in case;

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.2 Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Ati Radeon HD 6570 1 GB dedicated video memory

I have tried lowering all the settings in the options menu as well.

I have also tried running the game from the FalloutNV.exe file in the "/steamapps/common/fallout new vegas" folder, and I get this error message, no matter if I run it as administrator and/or in compatibility mode or not; "C:\Windows\system32\XINPUT1_3.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support." I understand that "xinput1_3.dll" is a DirectX file, but I have already tried updating it. I have also removed the file from the "C:\Windows\System32" folder and downloaded DirectX again, it creates that file again, but it displays the same message when I try to run the FalloutNV.exe file, and the launcher still won't start the game. I think this is the reason the launcher doesn't start the game, but I have no idea how to fix it.

It'd be great if anyone could help me out.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The name of the error I get when I run FalloutNV.exe is "FalloutNV.exe - Bad Image" Dunno if that helps, but whatever.

Last edited by Cookie_Monster: 08-22-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Cookie_Monster

Bump. Really need help, guys, any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Perfectionist

Have you tried running vcredist in:

Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Redists

I got W7 64, no need for compatibility.
Perfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Cookie_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
Have you tried running vcredist in:

Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Redists

I got W7 64, no need for compatibility.
Thanks for the reply. I just tried that out and the issue still occurs when I run it from steam, a shortcut, from the FalloutNVLauncher.exe (I tried doing different compatibility modes as well as running as administrator) and when I run the FalloutNV.exe I still get the error message. I'm fairly certain the error message I get when I run FalloutNV.exe is the issue here, because the launcher runs fine and then it tries to run FalloutNV.exe and it can't, and I'm thinking thats because it gets an error, so it just stops.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Perfectionist

That may be compatibilty, delete the .exe and then verify just so its fresh from steam.

Directx9, you tried both in redist folder and microsoft website?
Perfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Cookie_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
That may be compatibilty, delete the .exe and then verify just so its fresh from steam.

Directx9, you tried both in redist folder and microsoft website?
I'm installing a fresh copy of the game right now, because I extracted the xinput1_3.dll file to my system32 folder, and now i get a different error. "FalloutNV.exe - Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

And yes, I tried the redist version and microsoft
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Cookie_Monster

Bump.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Cookie_Monster

Reinstalling the game did nothing, I still get that 0xc000007b error when I run FalloutNV.exe, and the game still won't launch.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
TheOnlyTrueZak

Run FaloutNVLauncher.exe in fallout new vegas folder and then press Play.
TheOnlyTrueZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Cookie_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyTrueZak View Post
Run FaloutNVLauncher.exe in fallout new vegas folder and then press Play.
Tried that already, same thing as before - it just closes and the game doesnt launch
Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
jbritchford

I've had this same problem. Tried lots of things, mainly changing graphics card drivers, and now it boots, but only to a blackscreen :-(
Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
TomZa123

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloa...e.php?id=34778
Try using that.
TomZa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Rygama

I'm having a very similar problem, and none of the solutions offered were of help.
Mine is slightly different, in that I *can* start a new game the very first time I install the game. But any time I come back to it, my character is reset, without gear. Any attempts to start anew are met with the same complete lack of acknowledgement by the game that I've pressed anything.
Verifying the game cache produces the same "One file failed to validate and will be reacquired" result, with that one file never coming.

Whatever the problem is, I'm pretty sure it's the same one the OP is having.
Rygama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
pike

when the 1st screen pops up (play , options , data , fech , exit ) open data and make sure falloutnv.esm has a check mark , if u have dlcs try themm checked and unchecked
pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
Spymaster233

bumpy
Spymaster233 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series