Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > From Dust

Old 08-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
nomnomintertube

Update on From Dust DRM situation.

After being turned down by Steam services for my refund, I sent out a support message to Ubisoft. After a long two day silence in which I believed that they had tossed it into the bin so it wouldn't distract them from rolling around in angry user money, they have responded with the following.

We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear. We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. Our tech teams are working on a patch that should release in approximately two weeks that will eliminate the need for any online authentication. This development time is required as we are working to ensure that those who have already started the game, and who’s progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally. Once the patch is ready, players who already have the game will automatically receive the update on their next login and subsequent game sessions will be 100% offline.

Now, take this with a grain of salt knowing their past. Until we see this patch, there's no knowing the actual legitimacy of the statement. They realized their massive mess-up here it seems and with so many negative reviews on not just the game, but their company itself based on how it was handled, it seems like they are on damage control. It seems like both the websites covering this debacle and the angered users involved may have finally made a difference here and there is hope the DRM will be removed.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
tacc

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...9/m/1511052349
tacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Coiledvipers

I'm Sorry the damage is already Done They lied to there consumers they lied to Steam. They lied to everyone but there Pockets. Alot of people only purchased this game from UBI was because of the one time activation only. I for one will probly not purchase another UBI game for awhile till they get it threw there thick Skulls DRM hurts Consumers more than it does Pirates. Hence why I havnt purchased any other Assasin Creeds since the first one.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Shuriken

The only reason I bought the game was because it was by Eric Chahi, I'm never letting nostalgia violate my principle of never buying anything from Ubull again. Shame about his street cred, Another World won't save his rep next time.
Shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Ric666

Shame really. I really enjoy the game but I do feel a bit deceived by Ubisoft.

I'm not even bothered about DRM & having a constant internet connection tbh.

Its the fast that they blatantly lied that is disappointing.
Ric666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Zamav

Stuff like this doesn't just happen out of nowhere. Ubisoft deliberately misled customers because they thought no one would notice and their crappy always online DRM would prevent day 1 piracy.

They were wrong on both parts, so they're now attempting some damage control, saying they will remove it after 2 weeks.

Some of might suggest I put my /tinfoil_hat off, but, this is the truth. Ubisofts fear of Piracy and shareholders is far greater than their fear of customer backlash (which is nonexistant thanks to mindless.. actually, nvm)
Zamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamav View Post
Stuff like this doesn't just happen out of nowhere. Ubisoft deliberately misled customers because they thought no one would notice and their crappy always online DRM would prevent day 1 piracy.
They didn't even achieve that. A crack for From Dust was already avaliable before the PC release.

I think their DRM only hurts those who buy the game. Pirates just enjoy the game without anything that disturbs them, while legitimate users have to suffer if they don't have a constant internet connection, or if ubi servers go down.

And with this game the DRM is not all... but I think everyone knows that by now.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Ataraxis420

Maybe it's because of the thousands complaints they got, and people asking for refunds. If Steam wasn't so strict about refunding, they'd lost tons of pre-order money.
Ataraxis420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
awsometeeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataraxis420 View Post
Maybe it's because of the thousands complaints they got, and people asking for refunds. If Steam wasn't so strict about refunding, they'd lost tons of pre-order money.
sadly they will lose more. both ubisoft and steam take a hit each time crap like this happens. I know I would rather get a game elsewhere than steam after having to face their awful beg for a refund policy. normally I could just go back to visa and do a chargeback, not with good old steam, risk having my account disabled...

aint they lovely.
awsometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
ChocoBalls

Banned
Sometimes it pays to complain.

I'd like to think Ubi learned a lesson from this debacle, but then I remember that they keep pulling the same crap over and over again, and people keep falling for it.

If you guys want to make a proper statement to Ubi, then stop buying their games. Don't be such indecisive .
ChocoBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Whiplashr

If they actually do this, I for one will reward it by buying the game. It looked very compelling to me, despite other issues I see here. But I purposely have avoided it because of this issue. If they actually do make this change, I will buy the game.
Whiplashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
M4nkoRid3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken View Post
The only reason I bought the game was because it was by Eric Chahi, I'm never letting nostalgia violate my principle of never buying anything from Ubull again. Shame about his street cred, Another World won't save his rep next time.
I doubt Eric Chahi had any say in the DRM. To link his credibility as a talented designer with corporate money grubbing is a bit unfair imo.
M4nkoRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #13
Ruiner82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashr View Post
If they actually do this, I for one will reward it by buying the game. It looked very compelling to me, despite other issues I see here. But I purposely have avoided it because of this issue. If they actually do make this change, I will buy the game.
Same. Now if Ubisoft would pull their heads out of their asses, I could buy their other games as well. They make excellent games, but I will not support DRM that punishes the people that pay for it, while pirates don't have to deal with it.
Ruiner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
Anotherwrld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken View Post
Shame about his street cred, Another World won't save his rep next time.
...So he made ANOTHER major mistake in his game design career, proving that he is in fact human. Big deal.

Besides, he's the conceptual designer, I don't think he did much coding in this one.
Anotherwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #15
EvilSmoo

Meh. I waited on AC2 till the DRM got removed, then bought it. And I bought SPAZ instead of this one.

Probably wait on this one as well, the DRM thing is just as silly now as it has been for every other game that does it.
EvilSmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > From Dust