Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series

Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #76
kingoomieiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by killquest View Post
whaaat?? how? when you get loaded into a new area your safe. You have a choice on what to do next. You don't get warped into a hostile area..uningreal
Quicksaving, and IMMEDIATELY quickloading, takes upwards of 20-30 seconds. This makes stealthy gameplay (savescumming) take FOREVER.
kingoomieiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #77
dark10x

I maintain that the lengthy loading times are due to the way data is stored in the game folder. If you take a look, everything is crammed into a few large files and the game needs to constantly extract necessary data from these files. Their compression and decompression technique seems to be the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
The load times are incredibly ty honestly. Let's be honest, this game isn't exactly pushing "current gen" standards here. I mean, you can't even truly alter the graphics settings w/o getting dirty. The only nice feature the game has is tessellation. But unlike most people, I don't care about photo-realistic crap. The game has to have fluidity. This game is certainly looking fluid to me.

The only thing that isn't console-tard is the in-game interface that they worked oh-so hard to ease the PC users. Everything else screams lazy console port.
I think that's a rather unfair accusation. What makes you think it's a "lazy" port? It's clear they put a lot of effort into this port. I do believe many of the problems are due to the way the engine was designed. Nixxes was responsible for porting the game, so they were stuck with a code base from the team creating the game. Things like stuttering are a side effect of the way the engine handles data and limitations of the PC platform.

That doesn't mean the port is somehow lazy. They did what they could with what they had and, really, the end results are pretty good.

Last edited by dark10x: 08-24-2011 at 06:07 AM.
dark10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #78
Yoshimatsu414

Hey IDK if you have guys that are having bad loading times maybe have Vsync on? That might be contributing to you slow loading times because I have noticed in turning Vsync off will decrease loading times to literally a couple seconds for me, especially Dead Space and GTAIV this was the issue.

I don't know about Deus Ex: HR though but I just bought it and downloading it now (at like 4.0MB/s) so very soon I will see lol. Can't wait, I really liked Original Deus Ex
Yoshimatsu414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #79
BluieThunder

Seriously??? V-Sync? What the.....? Is that a joke?
BluieThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #80
MaDaStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiMrBubbles View Post
No one is straggling around with 1gig hard drives, this is a legitimate concern. This morning I read the same thing from people WITH SSD drives, again, I'm not sure why there are some people with fast load times vs slow.

Mine are about game breaking as you can get, upwards to 40 seconds. I saw the consoles version, PS3 is 24 seconds and 360 is 21 seconds. The fact the PC version isn't running on a disc and has superior hardware is just making me slightly agitated, to say the least.

I don't know what else to say, my rig is good and I play Crysis and Battlefield 2 at high settings without so much as a sweat. AMD CPU and NVidia graphic card, sure I wish I had more hard drive space but it has never acted this way in any game before.
The load times are long and hopefully will be patched. I tried using SSD to improve the situation and I honestly can't see any difference between it and my 1TB WD Black Edition.
MaDaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #81
klkitchens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluieThunder View Post
Seriously??? V-Sync? What the.....? Is that a joke?
My VSync is off. still 29 seconds.
klkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #82
Ronlaen

Getting long load times here at 30+ seconds. Specs are as follows.

Intel 2600k @ 4.4ghz
8GB 1866mhz DDR3 RAM
EVGA GTX 470
Win7 x64
Vertex 3 120gb(~12gb free) SSD on Sata6gbs tested at 500mb/sec read/write

The OS, Steam, and game are all on the SSD. No swap file and you don't need to defrag with an SSD. Hearing people say they have better load times with regular platter HD I might try doing a mklink /d and move Deus Ex to my 1tb WD Green and see if there is a difference.
Ronlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #83
Armas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronlaen View Post
No swap file...
It's possible that there might be the problem. Since most SSD users usually have a smaller swapfile, that could be why a lot of HDD users are getting better load times.

I haven't had a chance to try on mine yet, but maybe try enabling your swapfile. And make it a large one.

It's faster than swapping the game over so it may be worth a try. If you don't have room on your SSD you can always have your swapfile on your 1TB WD green, in which case make it something ridiculous like 20GB, just so make sure. Oh and set it to a fixed size (eg. 20480-20480) especially if it's on your SSD.

Some programs use the swapfile heavilly, even if physical RAM is not used up yet and this seems to be one of them.

Last edited by Armas: 08-24-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Armas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #84
klkitchens

See here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...4#post24598764

Vsync off did improve load by about 33% for me... down to 16-18 seconds.
klkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #85
Saltank

I've got an Intel 180GB SSD (2nd Gen) and it takes long to load.
Saltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #86
acrylamidetic

Here is a link to the official technical support forum. Loading - All Issues is a sticky there. I again think we should be sure to post there what our problems are in case the developers aren't monitoring this forum. In my opinion this is a really significant issue that needs to be addressed and may only get attention if enough people complain. It is really hindering my ability to enjoy the game and clearly it's not isolated instances.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=298

I don't have vsync enabled in game but I am using D3DOverrider. I guess I will disable that and see if that has any effect on the load times.
acrylamidetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #87
MrEntropy

The only thing I did was uncheck "Vsync" in the Deus Ex setup program and my load times went from around 30 seconds (I think it was closer to 60 seconds but I never timed it) down to 15.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #88
Armas

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylamidetic View Post
I again think we should be sure to post there what our problems are in case the developers aren't monitoring this forum.
Although you are right, considering the plethora of people already complaining on that thread, and the fact that an admin is responding semi-regularly I think (read: hope) it will be addressed.
Armas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #89
acrylamidetic

Just wanted to comment the vsync trick actually did help me. What I had to do was go into CCC and turn Vsync all the way to the left to Always Off, not "Off, unless application specifies it." My load times went from 40-50s to 20s. 20s is not great, but it's a hell of a lot better than 40-50s.

Edit: Screen tears like crazy though. So still not great.

Last edited by acrylamidetic: 08-24-2011 at 08:14 AM.
acrylamidetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #90
Lesardah

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylamidetic View Post
Just wanted to comment the vsync trick actually did help me. What I had to do was go into CCC and turn Vsync all the way to the left to Always Off, not "Off, unless application specifies it." My load times went from 40-50s to 20s. 20s is not great, but it's a hell of a lot better than 40-50s.

Edit: Screen tears like crazy though. So still not great.
It's a great tip, nonetheless, just to get us through until a patch. Thanks for reporting back! I'm going to try it this evening and I'll post the result. I'll load the same save three times from in game and average the result (dismissing the inital load from the main menu which takes a while in any game), then disable vsync from the Catalyst Control Panel and do the same.

At least the topic is stickied on the Eidos forums, and there's a liaison from Eidos monitoring the posts. So far, that's a good sign, right?
Lesardah is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series