Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Greed: Black Border

Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
kmja

Question mod?

whers hall i look if i whant to mod the game? i am not sure where too look
Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
Headup Games

Headup Games
There are no real tutorials but one user created a mod here:
http://www.headupgames.com/community...greed+mod#p532

Maybe this will already help you.
Headup Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
iWoo

I really want to like this game, but I just purchased it on impulse without reading reviews and am finding it feels unfinished even in the first two levels. Other reviews have stated how repetitive and boring it can be, and simply increasing the pace would let people discover more about the game and see what it has to offer; the higher difficulties would be a good challenge then.

It seems apparent that the game balance has not been adjusted. As a Plasma character, it is excessively tedious. When I see two chemists at once I groan; it means kiting around 5-7 zombies in a circle for 30 minutes while I slowly try to kill each chemist first, so they can't heal each other. Often, this is futile, because you will hurt one to 50%, but cannot easily finish it because other zombies get in the way, and then the other chemist heals it.

With the mediocre dps and the lack of base critical hits (all characters should have a few % chance, with no skills invested!), it really is an exercise in patience. Unless we are supposed to lure every single monster into an environmental threat instead of fighting them?

The skills really appear not to be balanced, with one defensive passive unlocking a 30% bonus and then the next skill investment a measly 1% increase. At this slow rate of XP progress, and the fact that "rerolling" is not available, this means restarting characters over and over to find out whether a skill is useful or not. Slooowly grinding your way through the same beginning layout with the same (or mildly randomized) enemies, means that many with less patience would simply abandon the game.

It also seems like the conventions of skills have been reversed for the "minigunner" and the "sniper" class; the sniper would benefit from having a low rate of critical hits (maybe with splash), whereas the minigunner would benefit from the split shields/energy.

It took four hours of game time for me to find a weapon upgrade (58 to 90 dmg); previously it was only the exact same gun, but with a socket. Against the level 6 zombies, with Plasma Shock, it still feels a bit underwhelming.

I would love to download this fan-made rebalancing patch because it sounds ideal, but it is 1) no longer supported for the latest version (and may have some bugs) and 2) no longer available to download.

For the people who spent some cash on your game, and for future continued spending... please, take the time and emulate the changes made by this fan-mod and release it as a patch. The overall design and look of the game is great, and it would be a shame to have all of the work and creativity into this game wasted just because it was not tweaked for balance through beta testing and user feedback.

I am sure the developers played Diablo or Titan Quest... there are already very good examples of how "balance" feels and how much reward/feel of increased strength the character should have with each level up.

Fingers crossed that you still support this game and plan on rebalancing it... it has lots of potential.

Last edited by iWoo: 08-29-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
iWoo

After another 2 hours invested... with new character(s) to test skills, I tweaked the constants config to give a slight boost to some of the skills.

ie: Hyper Damage starts at 30% damage boost as normal, but goes up by 10% per level to hit 120% at the last level. This is instead of 107 or so... not a huge increase. However, I also made the mana regen malus less severe with each levelup. (-20, -19, -18...) Suddenly spending a point in the skill feels like I am actually getting something. If each level costs more exp to earn, the rewards should be at least noticable.

I also discovered hosting a solo Multiplayer game: this should be the advice for ALL players trying the game for the first time! Just like Diablo, you can restart the level to regrind some mobs and get more experience (and a bit more loot) and if you die, you simply resurrect at the last checkpoint instead of start all over again.

This avoids the feeling of wanting to run back to the last checkpoint after each battle because you are unsure what you are going to be up against. At least with Diablo II, you knew that every point of experience you gained was somewhat locked in, with a small exp penalty upon dying. You would also not lose the progress you made (monsters killed, loot found, etc)... even in Single Player.

Also, as far as I remember; even in Single Player, starting a new game or the level again meant you could grind for exp/loot. In Greed, it seems like you can only restart, losing any progress. Isn't this a barrier to players progressing at their own pace? At least in the Multi mode, I can play a defensive character and just be resigned that I need to grind more to try to gear better and skill up more--this compensates for the build being a tank versus a glass cannon.

Anyway, this just confirms what I felt from the beginning... adjust some of the skill values, and perhaps the experience required for the first few levels (as that modder did) and release it as a standardized patch. It is, after all, only as difficult as typing in the numbers! The hard part is seeing what skills are nearly useless and which are overpowered (none of the passives it seems.)

Starting to see that glimmer of addictiveness and replay value! I wonder if critics would unfairly rate this game lower because the early experience is so slow/tough? I still haven't found where to spend the in-game currency or recycled resources, and it's been 6 hours.

I also didn't realize the button to break down an item existed until two hours ago; I thought it was just a non-functional icon for the currency itself... (a tutorial window should pop up the first time your inventory is full)
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Headup Games

Headup Games
Can you try this link? http://download.headupgames.com/down...nzyBalance.zip or http://212.16.238.69/downloads/GREED-FrenzyBalance.zip
Headup Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
iWoo

Thank you for your reply. Both links time out and fail to download. But it's okay... I don't think I need this anymore. I think that the changes he made are easily reproduced by me by playing with the constants.cfg

However, other requested changes would be nice, and if someone is willing to spend a few hours making the adjustments to the simple stuff (values) that are not as easily figured out or more hidden, then it would be a worthy patch.

- The game is too easy at the beginning. I know my change to experience curve made it even easier, but this change is required for fun. So I'll try to find a way to make the early game harder (maybe lowering base skills for all chars).

- There are not enough ennemies. I'll try to make spawn around 2 times more ennemies.

- The shield refills too slowly. It refills by a fix amount/sec, and I wish it could refill in a percentage/s factor, as waiting for your shield to refill in endgame is a pain.

- For all classes, condition skill is useless. I'll try to swap it with another skill.

- Recovery is not as usefull as other defensive skills. I must test for a life tank character if it's viable or not. If not, I'll try to improve the skill by making it apply to shield also.

- Steel coat and 3000° are not usefull enough, as 90% of the dammages you get come from range, and melee dammages are not higher.

- I want to remove bomb spider shield as it can be very boring, and it kills squishy characters.

- I want to lower the gun drone attack damage, as sometimes the animation is not displayed, and you can be one-shot by invisible attacks.

Feizenbara

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Greed: Black Border