Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2

Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Moirnelithe

Unhappy Resting doesn't work in Mask of the Betrayer

This is a bug that was supposed to be solved in patch 1.23, however that patch only fixes the bug if it's applied before nwn2 OC and again after installing motb or something similar. The order is very important or it doesn't work. Anyway, the order in which steam installs it now stops the rest bug in MotB from being fixed. I already own the separate nwn 2 game + expansions but I bought the Steam version hoping it would save me from patching the game myself. Basically I've wasted my money getting this version.

Description of the bug: can't rest in Mask of the Betrayer at all, not even in safe areas like the library in the borrow. The interface window with the two types of rest buttons appear but pressing the 8 hour rest button and confirming doesn't do anything. Oddly enough when you create a new character and enter the lobby you -can- rest there, but only there. Obviously it makes characters that depend on resting to replenish spells impossible to play.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
kamalktk

I suggest posting in the game's official forums
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/subindex/156

Given the popularity of the Steam version of NWN2, if this was a common issue with it there would have been plenty of posts on the bug.
kamalktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Moirnelithe

There is already a thread on the game forums with someone using Steam that has the same problem. No solution available
Moirnelithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
NWN DM

Verify local files.

Make sure your Override folder is empty.

Kamalktk is right... this is not a "normal" experience. Something isn't right somewhere.

You said you already have another NWN2 game. Is that also installed at the same time as the Steam version?

If so, that could be causing problems in and of itself.
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Moirnelithe

I do have several mods installed in the override folder, they shouldn't change the gameplay regarding resting in any way though and the same mods did work with the non-steam version. My old nwn 2 game isn't installed, I only installed windows 7 a couple of months back and that's why I now bought the Steam version. Didn't want to bother with figuring out the correct patch install order all over again.

Have you all tried playing MotB on steam yet? I'm asking because not everyone likes the expansion so maybe they skipped it after having played it on a non-steam version before and maybe that's why nobody else seems to have this problem.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Naruzuru

I've played MotB before and no, I didn't encounter any such thing.
Naruzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Moirnelithe

Alright, guess I'll just reinstall my old nwn 2 then. I don't fancy playing the steam version without mods
Old 08-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
NWN DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWN DM View Post
Verify local files.

Make sure your Override folder is empty.
You should really try these two steps, just to see if there's something that can be done. IMO obviously... giving up on an issue means never learning what caused it; a lost opportunity.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
Moirnelithe

Ok, I've tried verifying the files again and it worked! I didn't have to uninstall the mods. Thank you

Edit: turns out the mods don't work anymore though...

Last edited by Moirnelithe: 08-27-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
General Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe View Post
Ok, I've tried verifying the files again and it worked! I didn't have to uninstall the mods. Thank you

Edit: turns out the mods don't work anymore though...
Then one of them might have been the issue. My guess would be an old mod is incompatible with a newer version of the game, which can mess with all sorts of things.
General Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
NWN DM

GB is right about that.

Now, not is all lost... if you figure out which mod it is that stopped working, perhaps the author left contact information and you could ask him/her to update it... or a request for assistance over on the 'official' NWN2 boards might yield someone who could help.

Which mod is it that stopped working?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
xp3rikimaru

Can't Rest (8 hours) Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask Of Betrayer

I just want to share how I solve this problem.

If you are using Windows 7 operating system,
Start > Run > %temp%

Delete all files related to neverwinter in temporary folder.
xp3rikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2