Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Glass_Shatters

Installing Steam Service?

Installing Steam Service

In order to run Steam properly on this version of Windows, the Steam service component must be installed. The service installation process requires administrator privileges.

I click Install service, nothing happens. After around 20 minutes Steam finally crashes. No Error messages or anything. I can run all other source games and everything else i've tried except L4D2 and DS: HR. So why is this appearing for DS HR and a game I've had for a year?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Maledict21

Try following these instructions.
  1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt and then click "Run as administrator..."
  3. In the command prompt, enter the following command, including quotation marks: "C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair
    • Note: C:\Program Files\Steam\ is the default installation directory for Steam - change this to the correct directory if you installed Steam to a different location. 64-bit systems will use Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files.
  4. This process will take a few minutes to complete. Once finished, the message "Steam Client Service repair completed." will appear.
  5. The issue may be fixed at this point, however it is recommended you reboot your computer before testing if the repair resolved the problem.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
gumi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledict21 View Post
  3. In the command prompt, enter the following command, including quotation marks: "C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair
    • Note: C:\Program Files\Steam\ is the default installation directory for Steam - change this to the correct directory if you installed Steam to a different location. 64-bit systems will use Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files.
  4. This process will take a few minutes to complete. Once finished, the message "Steam Client Service repair completed." will appear.
  5. The issue may be fixed at this point, however it is recommended you reboot your computer before testing if the repair resolved the problem.
thnx man, works for me
gumi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
aaWee

Lightbulb

I have the same problem now. I tried maledict's method but after I wrote
"C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair
and pressed enter nothing happened. Cursor just moved to next line. How I wrote it? I opened cmd prompt and typed the text after the standard c:/windows/system32. Can't use steam at all, pls help
EDIT: Tried again, and now it said it was repaired, I try to reboot computer.
EDIT2: ok, it's now fixed. Make sure you have steamservice.exe in C:\... even if your steam is in some other drive. What I did, I made folder in c:\program files (x86)\common files\steam\steamservice.exe and i have 64-bit OS and steam is in X drive. After copying follow maledict's instructions. I hope this will help you.

Last edited by aaWee: 03-28-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Found solution for me
aaWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
caveman26

goto your steam folder and delete everything but steam.exe and steamapps folder then runsteam.exe it will redownload the files needed
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
d3rza

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledict21 View Post
worked for me too, thanks!!
d3rza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Bucky21659

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaWee View Post
I have the same problem now. I tried maledict's method but after I wrote
"C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair
and pressed enter nothing happened. Cursor just moved to next line. How I wrote it? I opened cmd prompt and typed the text after the standard c:/windows/system32. Can't use steam at all, pls help
EDIT: Tried again, and now it said it was repaired, I try to reboot computer.
EDIT2: ok, it's now fixed. Make sure you have steamservice.exe in C:\... even if your steam is in some other drive. What I did, I made folder in c:\program files (x86)\common files\steam\steamservice.exe and i have 64-bit OS and steam is in X drive. After copying follow maledict's instructions. I hope this will help you.
Hehe, yeah well you're supposed to just replace the "C:\Program Files\" with whatever directory you have your Steam install in.
Bucky21659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
lizzardking2004

my pc keeps hanging, any sugestions?
lizzardking2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips