Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series

Old 08-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
nanquan491

Unhappy Deus Ex Human Revolution Disappointing Graphics

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't realize prior to submitting this thread that this forum was full of kids, trolls, and fan-boys. Every other reply is either about "gameplay vs. graphics", where as I was interested in a discussion merely about the graphics (yes, again, the gameplay is good). Or simply calling me names etc.

I'll make it simple for you trolls out there:

Deus Ex Human Revolution in terms of GRAPHICS ONLY:

Deus Ex Human Revolution < Trailer
Deus Ex Human Revolution < Any other major 2010 release (BF2, ME2, Black Ops 2 etc.)

And no, I am not a graphics , but that doesn't mean that you can't have a discussion about graphics.

Yes, gameplay is good, but graphics are disappointing. It would have contributed greatly to the game immersion if graphics were AT LEAST as good as in ME2 or even Bad Company 2 or Black Ops etc.

Anyway I'm taking this discussion to another forum since obviously the demographic here means that almost no one here is mature enough to have an adult conversation without falming, namecalling etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanquan491 View Post
Sorry, this is going to be a rant thread, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Like many I'm sure, I've also recently purchased the new Deus Ex Human Revolution, and have played it for a while now. It's a good game, and very fun, no doubt about that at all. BUT, the first thing I noticed and the biggest disappointment I had from this game were the GRAPHICS.

When I first saw this trailer (I know now it's titled "CINEMATIC" trailer, but back when it was released it was a "teaser" trailer) for Deus Ex Human Revolution back in 2010, I was blown away probably just like everyone else! I actually thought the in-game graphics would look much like they did in the trailer, and honestly it's not like it's THAT far fetched. With games like Mass Effect 2 that already featured pretty realistic graphics, and games like Battlefield 3 soon to be released which look VERY realistic, I thought Deus Ex Human Revolution, being a 2011 game would also be a step in that direction.

Alas, the game came out and it's like... WOW WTF! Not only do the graphics not measure up to the trailer, but they appear outdated even if compared to games previously released in 2010!

I mean just looking at people's faces in the game, it's like they didn't even remotely try to make them realistic. Also a lot of low-res textures throughout. It just leaves a bad taste that's all. For a brand new 2011 game I was quite disappointed with the graphical aspect of it all, especially considering how good the trailer looked. I honestly feel a little bit deceived by that.

Again, like I said, the game play itself and everything else is still awesome and I really enjoy playing it. But it's just annoying when there's such a big gap between a game's trailer, which is supposed to hint at, and tease you about how the game is going to be, and the actual end product with it's low res textures and sub par graphics even by 2010's standards (I mean I mentioned Battlefield 3, but even BF: Bad Company 2 features better graphics).

So yeah... just had to get that off my chest!

Agree/Disagree anyone?

And please, I can already hear the people starting flame wars saying that "it's not all about the graphics it's about the game play" etc. I KNOW that and I AGREE generally speaking. But that's not the point of this thread.

Thanks,
nanquan491

Last edited by nanquan491: 08-28-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
hersiras

Gameplay>graphics

Grow up
hersiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Zyinxz

TL;DR

If you posted all that up complaining about the graphics, you wasted your time. High end graphics don't make the game. It's just a plus if they have high end graphics.

EDIT: I looked at that trailer.. apparently you don't know what "CINEMATIC" trailer means.
Zyinxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
nanquan491

Quote:
And please, I can already hear the people starting flame wars saying that "it's not all about the graphics it's about the game play" etc. I KNOW that and I AGREE generally speaking. But that's not the point of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersiras View Post
Gameplay>graphics

Grow up
Troll.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
nanquan491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyinxz View Post
TL;DR

If you posted all that up complaining about the graphics, you wasted your time. High end graphics don't make the game. It's just a plus if they have high end graphics.
Again:
Quote:
Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #6
Jimmy Damage

Better graphics would have helped with the immersion. I don't expect the best graphics in every game but come on, 1989 called...
Jimmy Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
nanquan491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Damage View Post
Better graphics would have helped with the immersion. I don't expect the best graphics in every game but come on, 1989 called...
Agreed 100%! Plus my biggest complaint is about the huge gap between the trailer and the actual in game graphics.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
Chiatroll

There is a deus ex sub forum for the game just like almost every other steam game.

The first deus ex looked ugly for it's time also. It's a deus ex tradition to look like . Still it's a good game.

The guy is right it's a "CINEMATIC" trailer. It's not hiding that it isn't how the game looks. You don't even need to research to know that isn't the expectation you should set. Games have been putting out cinematic trailers that look nothing like the gameplay since PS1.

Why don't you go there instead of posting uninteresting things about it here and when people disagree quoting yourself about flames if anyone disagrees with you. Anytime anyone disagrees with you going on about your intention for the thread thing is childish. This is a public forum. The thread will go where it will.

Last edited by Chiatroll: 08-28-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Chiatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
nanquan491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyinxz View Post
TL;DR

EDIT: I looked at that trailer.. apparently you don't know what "CINEMATIC" trailer means.
I know what CINEMATIC trailer means, but they added the "CINEMATIC" only after the fact. Back when the trailer was first released in 2010 it was called a "teaser trailer".

But regardless that doesn't even matter. The graphics in the game not only don't measure up to the trailer, like I mentioned, they don't even measure up to "old" games released in 2010, like Battlefield 2, ME2 etc.

I would have expected them to be AT LEAST as good as in those games. For a 2011 release the graphics in this game are sub par, you and I both know it.

Now as to the question of gameplay vs. graphics, that's a whole other discussion. Yes, the gameplay in Deus Ex Human Revolution makes up for the bad graphics, no doubt about that. I'm really loving the game. But again, that's not the point of this thread, I am merely discussing the graphical aspect of it.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
1989 called...
How would you know? You obviously weren't even born that year.

Also have you ever seen a trailer for the Final Fantasy games? They also never look like that.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
Jimmy Damage

It is annoying, I agree. So was the cover art on NES games (LOL, I was so disappointed everytime).
I think the gap between actual gameplay and art/cinematics will always be there. It's a clever way of making a sale.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
nanquan491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiatroll View Post
There is a deus ex sub forum for the game just like almost every other steam game.

Why don't you go there instead of posting uninteresting things about it here and when people disagree quoting yourself saying that you don't want people to disagree with you.

The first deus ex looked ugly for it's time also. It's a deus ex tradition to look like . Still it's a good game.
I didn't know about the sub-forums for each game, I'm relatively new here to the forums.

I didn't quote myself saying that I don't want people to disagree with me, I quoted myself so that people would stick to the topic.

Like I said, this is purely a discussion about the graphics of the game, but smart asses always like to turn it into a flame war about graphics vs. gameplay. I KNOW the gameplay is great, but that's not the point of the discussion here.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
Jimmy Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.meinem.turm. View Post
How would you know? You obviously weren't even born that year.
1982, still going strong.

Edit: Jeebuz, this thread is getting swarmed by fanbois. Rude ones to boot. They can't even stay civil. Jimmy Damage, over and out.

Last edited by Jimmy Damage: 08-28-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #14
crazy111

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanquan491 View Post
I know what CINEMATIC trailer means, but they added the "CINEMATIC" only after the fact. Back when the trailer was first released in 2010 it was called a "teaser trailer".

But regardless that doesn't even matter. The graphics in the game not only don't measure up to the trailer, like I mentioned, they don't even measure up to "old" games released in 2010, like Battlefield 2, ME2 etc.

I would have expected them to be AT LEAST as good as in those games. For a 2011 release the graphics in this game are sub par, you and I both know it.

Now as to the question of gameplay vs. graphics, that's a whole other discussion. Yes, the gameplay in Deus Ex Human Revolution makes up for the bad graphics, no doubt about that. I'm really loving the game. But again, that's not the point of this thread, I am merely discussing the graphical aspect of it.
Um, Battlefield 2 was released in 2005, and Deus Ex:HR looks fine to me.
crazy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
nanquan491

Quote:
It is annoying, I agree. So was the cover art on NES games (LOL, I was so disappointed everytime).
I think the gap between actual gameplay and art/cinematics will always be there. It's a clever way of making a sale.
lol yeah I agree with you there, but a small difference with the NES analogy is that with NES you knew exactly what kind of graphics the platform was capable of, so it was expected. But nowadays, it's not really that unexpected to feature in-game graphics that are as good/realistic as the ones in the original trailer.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series