Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Heron

Does the Steam store save games for all games?

Hi, Does the Steam store save games for all games that I can buy from you? For example, when I play Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and I have same save of game, then I will remove from the computer game and Steam for some time and install on the same computer or other computer Steam and the game will I have the game save the last state of the game or not?
Sorry for my English. Thank you for your reply!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
HellJumper

I can't say for sure about non-valve games, but I know for sure that Valve-games use the steam cloud which saves all your data so that you can access it from another computer.
HellJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Whiteblade999

No, only games with Steam Cloud can transfer saves. If you look at your list of games in 'list' view it will show a cloud next to the game if you can transfer saves to different computers. The store will also have a little blurb about supporting Steam Cloud.
Whiteblade999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Heron

In this case where I can find save games on the disk for games such as assassin's creed (I) (II), (​​Brotherhood), so that when accidentally will arrange the format the computer can on the computer to install the Steam client, put the data files into appropriate directories Steam in order to save games work? How to do it, whether it is possible to do such a copy saved games? Is Steam intends to introduce in the future Steam-Cloud for all games that are available to purchase? :/
Old 08-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
w00ties

To check if Steam holds onto your saves in the Steam cloud, within Steam go to "View" and select "Games List" - you should see a little icon under the cloud column for Steam cloud games.

For non-cloud saves you should check your My Documents folder and your Steam folder.

An example of a My Documents save would be:
Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\EA Games\Medal of Honor Airborne(tm)\SAVEFILE

or

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\My Games\Terraria\Worlds\SAVEFILE
An example of a Steam folder save would be:

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\NAME\half-life\valve\SAVEFILE

or

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\super meat boy\UserData\SAVEFILE

Last edited by w00ties: 08-28-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added Examples
w00ties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
Heron

Hi, in my system save appear in the directory C:/Users/Heron/Saved Games/Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/
This is Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64. Is if the newly installed system will copy this folder to the same path and install Steam with game AC: B, this save it will work?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
MADDOGGE

Steam only saves the saves for those games for which Steamcloud is implemented. I would say a majority of games on Steam do not have Steamcloud since it's a fairly new addon.

Manual saves on the rig are scattered all over the place. Actual Valves games tend to be in the steamapps folder but others games are in my documents, virtual store, and other hidden files.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 08-29-2011 at 05:45 AM.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Morfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Hi, in my system save appear in the directory C:/Users/Heron/Saved Games/Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/
This is Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64. Is if the newly installed system will copy this folder to the same path and install Steam with game AC: B, this save it will work?
Most likely yes. But it's better to install game first and then overwrite save data.
Morfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Spykirby

documents
appdata roaming
appdata local

don't forgot to copy the GFWL folder for the GFWL games. Else they won't work.
Spykirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
miller4

Here's a handy tool to backup your save games:
http://www.savegamebackup.net/

I have been using it for about a year and it's almost the perfect one I've ever seen.
miller4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion