Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Jon Atkins

Borderlands "currently unavailable" error

I've recently purchased the Borderlands GOTY edition from the August 26-29th weekend deal. The transaction for buying it was fine, as well as downloading the ~12G game; however, I'm having problems launching for the first time after downloading it.

The issue lies when when launching the game and comes up with a steam error message, quote: "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again another time." This error is persistent in every time I try to launch the game. Just before it does this, it tries to install a "first time setup". This is called the "Microsoft VC redist package (1 of 1)" I've noticed this installing when I've launched a game for the first time, but have never had it fail or stall or come up with the unavailable message

The process is as follows: I click the play game icon as I would normally, it attempts to download said first time setup package, but quickly comes up with a small square box saying "steam - error" in the top left with a message: "This game is currently unavailable, please try again at another time"

I have tried to solve the problem in many ways, including restarting steam, restarting my computer, re-installing the game and even backing up the game and trying to re-install via the backed up file, yet neither of these attempts were successful. I've also tried to follow the instructions from the steam support, recommending to rename certain files, changing the game to a "Read Only" state and reversing this, going through the "verify cache files" process and even deleting most of the files - except key files that were noted - to force steam to re-update. Sadly, it still came up with the error when I loaded Borderlands up.

I delved further and tried to find other cases of this same thing happening to the same game to other people. I found one case when somebody had the same problem as I am having. I looked at all the comments and tried to follow how they said to solve it, which included updating all the relevant drives - most notably the "Microsoft Visual C++" package - and even manually decrypting the files, which I didn't try because I don't know how to do that. The error still stands.

Could you help at all? I'm all out of known options after following all the support instructions from the steam website and would like to know if either somebody else has had the same problem as I this weekend, or if this is a known problem to any game and needs a certain process, that I haven't come across yet, to overcome.

Sorry if this seems long, but in my experience, giving as much information as possible will make it easier to find out what to do next, without doing things I've already tried or I know won't work.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Relice

same problem
you still can run the game from
\Steam\SteamApps\common\borderlands\Binaries
Relice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Jon Atkins

Thanks! I'll try that now
Edit: Hmm, I tried that, found the file that is supposed to start it, but it came up with another error message: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail. Worth a try, thanks for the advice though my computer is doing its best to make it not work I guess lol

Last edited by Jon Atkins: 08-29-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Caiobrz

You probable have a corrupt steam client registry, just like my wive's steam had, which prevented her installing/playing anything she bought recently.

Solution: delete everything in the \steam\ folder except for steam.exe and \steamapps\ (which is where the actual games are installed), then run said steam.exe (should be the only file in the folder, together with steamapps\ folder). Steam will upgrade itself and rebuild your profile properly.

source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4595-WEXN-6831
Caiobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Relice

not listen to him, it is not steam or your fault
too many people bought GOTY at sale, and they just dont have same keys
iam gonna wait for 2-3 days and then ill try to contact the support team

look http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2086983

Last edited by Relice: 08-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Jon Atkins

Thanks guys I didn't think of that actually, Relice and I can definitely understand a shortage of codes since it was a very popular deal this weekend. I also tried that method, Caiobrz; however, no change, but thanks still
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Relice

install physx, microsoft vc++ and other same , that game needs. It should run from Binaries folder. I just checked it on two PC's.
Borderlands.exe (Win 7 x64)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Jon Atkins

On it, thanks man
Edit: OK, I tried to download the latest patches of those, but both came up with an installer error: "Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing on this one". It's not my day is it ^,^ Not even sure if that's an error on my computer or the computer not closing the first time I tried to download Borderlands lol

Last edited by Jon Atkins: 08-29-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Relice

by the way, it always want to download an update ~200kb on steam, but cant
Old 08-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Relice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Atkins View Post
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail
It is related to Microsoft Visual C++
Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Caiobrz

It's not overload on the server, I installed 2 copies of borderlands and 2 other games in the last 24 hours with no problems, and I seriously doubt that borderlands sale would overload Steam. It's far more likely Jon's Steam installation, the game installation, or some library. UE3 shouldn't use MVC++ but the installation uses =x

Try UNINSTALLING Microsoft Visual C++ at Windows control panel so the game can do a clean install.

Or try formatting your machine LOL j/k
Caiobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Relice

It is problem with GOTY Edition. Me and my friends have the same issue. The problem is on Valve/2K Games side.
The only option for now - is to play from game executable file. It works that way.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Jon Atkins

@Caiobrz - sadly when I try to uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++, it comes up with the same Error 1500 message as before. Very strange, probs a combination of steam and my computer not being of the highest calibre lol
@Relice - I hope it is a problem with the GOTY Edition, if it's my computer I'll be much more worried hehe, but then again I wouldn't be surprised lol
Old 08-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
FuelNjekt3dFear

I get the same problem, only thing is, I was able to launch the game and play it one time. i have about 25 mins logged and the next time i went to play it, I'm now getting said error...
FuelNjekt3dFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #15
Jon Atkins

Still getting it even after completely re-installing it; however, this time I'm seeing a different install message before it goes to the Steam - Error: This game is unavailable message.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands